Iceman, some questions...

Some questions about the news post.

1) Are you looking for box and/or manual scans?

2) Are you looking only for scans of Sega games, not 3rd party?

3) Any particular type of image? jpg, gif, bmp, doesn't matter? Does size?

4) Shouldn't there be a way to organize it? Seems to me you'll be getting a lot of duplicate scans if you do it this way. A list of received scans might be of use, sorta like when there was a list of moved games back during the exodus.

I'd love to help in any way I can. But, I need some more info before I just starting scanning away. Don't want to scan my collection only to find out I've done it wrong or that other people already did it. Lemme know what I can do!

While not being the end all of IceMan's dreams and idea's, I'll try to give you a few hints.

1) Are you looking for box and/or manual scans?

Box yes, cover of manual sure, whole manual? Not unless you got some badass compression techniques.

2) Are you looking only for scans of Sega games, not 3rd party?

'Sega' is a loose term for Sega-related, ie a sega game, or a game on a sega system.

3) Any particular type of image? jpg, gif, bmp, doesn't matter? Does size?

Personally I think png > * but if you can't jpg would probably be the best.

4) Shouldn't there be a way to organize it? Seems to me you'll be getting a lot of duplicate scans if you do it this way. A list of received scans might be of use, sorta like when there was a list of moved games back during the exodus.

I'm sure he'll put them up as he gets them so it wont be too bad.

I'm about to get picky here. I get the feeling this is for a somewhat organized, higher, more permanent cause that requires some uniformity. Or maybe not.

Box yes, cover of manual sure, whole manual? Not unless you got some badass compression techniques.

Should I take out sleeves from boxes and scan them (one large pic with spine), or just scan both sides of the box (two pics, no spine). How about the cart or CD? Or is this too detailed? It occurs to me that maybe you're just scanning them for simple illustration purposes, not archival.

As for manuals, I can see not posting all of them. But maybe the rare ones would be a good idea in PDF format (and RARed if that would do anything). Games like Snatcher, Lunar, etc. That idea was presented before and seems to make sense.

I'm sure he'll put them up as he gets them so it wont be too bad.

Sounds good. Now if I can find some free time I'll start scanning what I have. Maybe this weekend...

I'd like to add a couple things as I've noticed some people doing them wrong.

1. Don't overcompress your image..i.e. stay at or above 85% quality setting for JPEGs. For small images stay closer to 100%. This ensures that colors, borders and particularly text aren't washed out. Keep in mind that you're basically generating source material to use for printing, and crisp, sharp CD labels or inserts are a beautiful thing. :)

2. Similarly, if your scan shows moire patterns, redo it. These are bastardly annoying and only get worse when someone resizes/prints the scan.

Don't worry about moire patterns or color spots when scanning CDs, those can't be avoided.

3. Color fidelity is not supremely important, nor brightness/contrast, as anyone can adjust these after the fact. Still, source material should be of decent quality...a poor scan is just too hard to save.

Thx
smile.gif

Also, make sure that you sacrifice a few small African children to your scanner before doing the scans so that you don't waste both mine and everyone else's time by submitting them because they are of poor quality due to a lack of small African child blood on your scanner.

Thank you, please leave an offering in my message box on the way out.

Would you mind if I sent you some hi res digital camera shots? They won't be brilliant but my Scanner is broke.

Also, how about a page saying what you have already got so you don't get 10,000 scans of Sega Saturns?

Back