Is it possible to change the internal battery by myself?

Whenever I start up my Saturn now, it prompts me to set the language, time and date. What's more, I cannot save my games anymore...

Is it possible to change the internal battery ourselves, i.e. can a amateur open up the set and change the battery then close it again without damaging anything?

Thanks for your time.

Yes its possible, just get a cr2032 battery, usually runs around 2 or 3 bucks. pop out the old one, and in with the new one and you'll be able to save your games again. To access the battery, just take off that little cover on the back right hand side of the saturn unit, there wil be the bettery behind that cover.

Thanks for your prompt reply, I was able to locate the battery but how do I take it out? It has 3 small plastic 'holders' holding it down securely in place.

Wallace,

The cr2032 battery should just pop out. Sometimes there is a piece of cloth to help pull it out. It should snap out and you just pop back in a replacement. Its real easy...

This is the same battery you an use for the DC VMU's. Except those take 2 of em and run out of juice real fast.

The saturn battery will last about 3 years or so.

Kyosuke75

I got a bunch of those batteries on eBay for 50 cents a piece. I really didn't want to buy them for $2.50 a piece at the store.

Do you want to wait X days for them to arrive? It shouldn't take more the 10 minutes to go to the store, buy one, come home, and pop it in your saturn. I just got one while I was already out getting other stuff. Two birds and a big rock.

Ew. I live a brisk walk from Walgreens. About a mile. Oh, here's a funny picture I took of one of their poorly-worded sale notices.

walgreens_nads.jpg

(Edited by Raijin Z at 2:55 pm on Mar. 17, 2002)

I like to plan ahead for things. It takes about 30 minutes roundtrip to get the batteries so I just got 60 of them on eBay for $30. Not too bad, still got 40 left.

I don't think I could use 60 CR2032s unless I was giving them away, in which case I wouldn't pay to obtain said batteries in the first place.

They really help a lot. I can't stand having dead batteries in any of my 8 VMUs, and it seems that batteries die very quickly. Just handy to have them around.

Back