Is my monitor dying?

good-luck Racketboy! that sounds fun!

I remember the first computers I built needed "Hard disk controller" ISA cards. :lol: Heh, and I'm only 24yo!

gameboy900, I havn't doubted your knowledge . . . I doubted your intuition of others interpreting your first comment.

but you explained yourself clearly and thoroughly . . and I thank you for that. Learnt some neat stuff there. ;)

ExCyber, what you said sounded possible. I had this monitor on a pass-thru cable on a Voodoo2.

I unplugged it, didn't work.

I tried another computer, it didn't work.

If I left it off for many hours, it would only work in the mentioned resolutions.

I hacked it open and vacuumed the insides, IT WORKS!

The inside looked like a spiders home with many cob webs. I've done this before with other older monitors and televisions. It sometimes does the job, and I ususally do it to all 2nd hand hardware I purchase. I never cleaned this one before, so I gave it a good cleaning.

I realize this is very dangerous voltage, and I don't recommend this to others!

I think it might have been overheating. It works great now!!! :cheers

Thanks for the help everybody!! :)

OMG! I use the same monitor.. but its from 95. It has been acting strange lately too.. it will stretch out somtimes and stuff.. but its a great monitor and Ive used it forever. :p

Yeah... I've heard the advise of if you are gonna work with an open monitor... keep one hand in your pocket... so it doesn't break your arm when you screw up ^_^!

So it all works now? that's kinda trippy... but if it was having problems with different color depths... I'd still keep an eye on your video card... that's usually a bad sign (but then again... my first 3d card was a voodoo3 3000 (before that I always just ran onboard video blech).

Back