Its possible change the resolution of VDP1 using par code?

Its possible change the resolution of VDP1 using par code?

Maybe saturn can handle many 3d games like Resident Evil with a descent frame rate using same resolution of VF2...

Anyone here try this one day? I dunno how can i do

I doubt it. The modes work quite differently in many regards, and would likely require significant changes to both the code and art assets.

Besides, it's VDP2 that generates the display, not VDP1. All VDP1 does it draw sprites into a buffer. That buffer is then combined with the 2D layers by VDP2 to generate the output. It's possible you could change the resolution of the screen and have VDP2 scale the sprite buffer, but you're just scaling PART of the display. Making VDP1 render at a higher resolution into the buffer is a much more involved task. Even worse, the difference between 320 and 352 (or 640 and 704) wide displays requires you to change the CPU clock, which may throw off the game timing.

Basically, unless the game was written to support higher resolutions, making a Saturn game do higher res would be a major undertaking. It's not as easy as on some platforms, like the PS2. Many PS2 games already have HDTV support, and the ones that don't can be set to scale the output to HD resolutions fairly easily. It's one area where Sony was thinking ahead.

Back