Japan disappearing?

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Link

This is unfortunately a problem that the U.S. and other developed nations will start facing soon too. It's been proven that the more developed a nation becomes, the more its birth rate drops.

Serious replies only. I would like to get a good discussion going. :/

Hm...

Interesting...

Discrimination in the workplace and poor government policies

^

What the hell?

But the government says that unless the trend is reversed quickly, the shortage of children risks doing damage to the economy.

Great... It seems as though the economy is what matters most. <_<

Akuma does bring up a good point below.

What's that? Japan wants to stay over-populated? Strong economy or weak economy; to me, is not as much of a concern as over-population. "Japan Disappearing" is highly exaggerated --
Japan is expected to shrink more than 20% by the middle of this century
Oh noos! 20 percent shrinkage! :sarcasm:

Slap me if I took this issue to lightly 😉

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Sat, 2004-12-04 @ 01:36 AM

What's that? Japan wants to stay over-populated? Strong economy or weak economy; to me, is not as much of a concern as over-population. "Japan Disappearing" is highly exaggerated --  Oh noos! 20 percent shrinkage! :sarcasm:

Slap me if I took this issue to lightly 😉

[post=125099]Quoted post[/post]​

I was actually thinking the same as you a bit...

I agree with CrazyGoon. These economists are looking at the short term, which of course is understandable, but overpopulation is going to more damage to humanity and to the planet in the long run. My own personal opinion is that having about one billion people on the planet is enough, by far. I don't think the current population is really sustainable for all that long.

There is a similar but not so desperate situation here in Australia. The government here is offering incentives to women who have children in an aim to increase our own ailing birth rate.

The basis for the Australian situation is to do with the dis-proportianal amount of baby boomers compared to younger australians and the impact of an aging population on the economy.

Australia is a different situation as we have a land mass roughly equivalent to North America and yet only a small popularion of around 22million.

The pressure that is placed on Japanese people is enormous. Most Japanese people that i have met to are all contented with their situation and decide to simply leave the politics only to the polititions.

It would seem that the cultural revoltuion that was seen in the Showa 30's is beggining to give way to a stagnant political landscape that is unwilling to change its ways.

This kind of situation is unavoidable, and will slowly affect many other countries, as families are gradually quiting having dozens of children. We are heading to a situation where the eldery is in a much greater number.

But it's obvious it's quite extreme in Japan. Population control is not only about decreasing birth rate, it's about keeping a healthy number of births to keep things in balance. With no control at all, the birth rate will fluctuate solely on the people's reactions to their envronment.

Wasn't Italy goint through similar problems?

Economically yeah, this can cause problem... SO WHAT!

I hope this happens here in america, personally I hate how people here in america have so many children... at a young age too. I don't see it happening here anytime soon. I know FOURTEEN girls under the age of 20 who are pregnant or just had kids. It is awful when my sisters 15 year old friend has a damn kid. Especially with a shithead like the father is.

I know FOURTEEN girls under the age of 20 who are pregnant or just had kids. It is awful when my sisters 15 year old friend has a damn kid. Especially with a shithead like the father is.

Off-topic:

Yeah, Erica told me about that.

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Sat, 2004-12-04 @ 02:36 AM

Oh noos! 20 percent shrinkage! :sarcasm:
Hey, you wouldn't be taking things so lightly if YOU had 20% shrinkage. 😛

OK, OK, seriously though. What Medion said.

I hear this is also a serious problem in France.

Personally, I don't consider overpopulation to be the problem that it is often portrayed as. I wonder why it isn't much of a problem here. We're just not as developed, I suppose?

Originally posted by reX dart: eskimo spy@Sun, 2004-12-05 @ 10:04 PM

Personally, I don't consider overpopulation to be the problem that it is often portrayed as. I wonder why it isn't much of a problem here. We're just not as developed, I suppose?

[post=125228]Quoted post[/post]​

You're kidding, right?

Come to think of it, it's not so much over population than over consumption in the US, but they do go hand in hand.

Here in America, we will start seeing a similar problem in the next 5-10 years. That is when many of the "baby boomers" will be hitting retirement. The reason people talk about social security going bankrupt has to do with that issue. Currently, there is a significant amouynt of money in the system. However, once those people retire, there is not a large enough workforce to continue keeping SS afloat. And that is why it will end up bankrupt. On an econ level, fewer workers means less output but also means higher wages demanded.

You live in LA, and you don't consider overpopulation to be a big problem? Wow... that's like, insane. Do you really want to live in a world where every city is surrounded by thirty plus miles of sprawl? With identical condos and suburban blight reaching across the entire nation? I'm a fan of dystopian cyberpunk futures, and even I don't want that!

Back