Jurai's Treamcast Review

Jurai

Ban Hammered
Jurai's Treamcast Review

Ok so i get my treamcast and tried it out, so heres a rundown of what i think of it.

For starters, they include a 220v AC adapter, aka, you aint playin this shit in your house if you live in the usa. This limited my test of the unit to the car. The case it comes in is pretty high quality, id consider using it for my regular dc even. The pads are essentially saturn clones with a worse dpad. Odds are if you wanna play any decent game your gonna use regular controllers.

So i took my treamcast out to the car and hooked it up with the lighter adapter (car output isnt regulated like wall output). The sound from the unit is very good, with optional headphone jack in front. The video? Being that its from hong kong, the screen is quite frankly shit. You can adjust it and get the colors and what not to be reasonably good, but the screen randomly begins to flicker and craps out on you midgame, requiring you to fiddle with the knobs in a vain attempt to resume your game. This problem alone makes it questionable as to whether one should even consider importing one of these at all. I am unsure whether the screen is rated as PAL or NTSC (I loaded Mars Matrix NTSC and the colors were clearly visible, though i suppose it is 'possible' that the flickers were due to it being a PAL screen trying to output NTSC) as no manual is included and theres no indication on the unit. The unit itself is decently manufactured, the case color is not one sexy piece of plastic, and is painted on over a dull greyish plastic (some of my paint was chipped off so i could tell pretty easily). One issue which concerned me besides the shitty screen is the fact that the lighter adapter gets VERY hot during playing. I don't know if they failed to insulate it at all or what, cuz the adapter and the entire cord were very warm to the touch after only a few minutes of playing, making it a potential fire hazard.

Final Analysis: it's a nice collectors thing to have around, but your gonna have to shell out for a new AC adapter if you wanna use it as your home dc, and id recommend getting a new car adapter too since the included one is so questionable. Technically the screen could just be one bad one from a batch of good ones, but seeing as its from hong king pirateers who cant even spell the name of their product correctly on the unit itself, i doubt it. Worth your money? Probably not, i wouldve rather just gone to some steak dinners for the wad i layed on this thing.

Jurai's Treamcast Review

Well, if you put it on ebay you'll probably make a profit
smile.gif

Jurai's Treamcast Review

cool, I want one, but I should be weary, I guess because of the pal screen, running ntsc games.. crap.. well I might pick one up, I'l have to see. thanks for the inside scoop..lol

cool.gif

Jurai's Treamcast Review

Originally posted by stack99@Jul 15, 2003 @ 01:29 PM

cool, I want one, but I should be weary, I guess because of the pal screen, running ntsc games.. crap.. well I might pick one up, I'l have to see. thanks for the inside scoop..lol

cool.gif

i will verify the pal/ntsc issue when it stops raining so i can actually take it back to the car, ill try soul calibur cuz i know i have that with ntsc/pal selector, i believe the screen just sucks tho

Jurai's Treamcast Review

sounds like a piece of shit. better off hooking up a regular dc in your car. the fact that it has a screen already on it is the only selling point i can make out of it and it sounds pretty dodgy to me.

Jurai's Treamcast Review

Originally posted by WiseMan@Jul 15, 2003 @ 11:13 PM

sounds like a piece of shit. better off hooking up a regular dc in your car. the fact that it has a screen already on it is the only selling point i can make out of it and it sounds pretty dodgy to me.

built in speakers are kinda nice, they actually sound decent, and its got built in vcd/svcd or somethin

Jurai's Treamcast Review

I just received my Treamcast today. One thing I can't get over is the fact that I can't get this thing to boot up any import games whatsoever! It plays American games fine, but when I try to use my Cheats n' Codes disc to play Ikaruga. it just stays on the Dreamcast logo screen when I swap the disc out. I have no clue!!!!!!!!!!

Jurai's Treamcast Review

a little off topic but... wow, i didn't even noticed jurai was banned? What happen? Did he cross the line with an infamous insult?

Jurai's Treamcast Review

Originally posted by Shitface@Aug 4, 2003 @ 07:13 PM

a little off topic but... wow, i didn't even noticed jurai was banned? What happen? Did he cross the line with an infamous insult?

As for the Treamcast, I was interested in it before but after this review I lost pretty much all my want for it. Without a good screen I don't think its worth it. I guess I'll just have to make my own :lol:

---Ammut

Jurai's Treamcast Review

Originally posted by Ammut@Aug 5, 2003 @ 06:32 PM

As for the Treamcast, I was interested in it before but after this review I lost pretty much all my want for it. Without a good screen I don't think its worth it. I guess I'll just have to make my own :lol:

---Ammut

:agree

Jurai's Treamcast Review

Ammut, that was a personal message.

Although the info is far from confidential, I'm still disappointed. <_<

Jurai's Treamcast Review

Originally posted by mal@Aug 5, 2003 @ 02:05 AM

Ammut, that was a personal message.

Although the info is far from confidential, I'm still disappointed. <_<

:( I'm sorry mal, I thought it was just public info :unsure:

I took it down, no hard feelings? :blush:

---Ammut

Jurai's Treamcast Review

You convince him to tone it down a bit and he may be allowed to return.

Back