Just to clear up some old confusion

Behold what I got today:

satcdr.jpg

:cheers

But of course I did not create this topic to boast, rather, I remember some discussion on this board about these CD-R's. There was no definitive answer about the security track (that's on all saturn discs along the outer edge).

When I got these the first thing I did was check for it, now I can assure you there's no security ring on them. :damn:

Just FYI ;)

So what's the benefit of using Saturn CDRs? And how do they boot on a real saturn?

IIRC there was a firmware upgrade you had to use on a certain Yamaha CDR, maybe that allowed you to burn the security track?

As far as I know there were two kinds of Saturn CD-Rs. Developers can only use that one (As pictured) on their own dev systems with the use of a Sega Key Disk. As you can suspect there is nothing diffrent about those disks compared to a regular CD-R. The second type of CD-R has a ring directly on it. These kinds of disks were used to burn "beta" copies which are usefull in distribution to game mags, and other points of publication so they could be tested and sampled. Of course, those ones need a security ring otherwise there would be no way to run the code. I assume those disks from Sega costed a lot more, and added a security leak in the sence that if a disk was stolen it could run on a stock console. It would be in everyones best intrest (Companys) not to make too many copies writen on such disks avaliable as at lease by using the regular Sega CDs, they would be useless without a Key Disk.

Originally posted by slinga@Apr 17, 2004 @ 06:00 AM

IIRC there was a firmware upgrade you had to use on a certain Yamaha CDR, maybe that allowed you to burn the security track?

antime will be along shortly to kick you in the head. :lol:

Sorry to burst your bubble AntiPasta, but this is old news.

Does your disc have a beta on it, or is it blank?

Sorry to burst your bubble AntiPasta, but this is old news.

Does your disc have a beta on it, or is it blank?

No probs, I figured someone might already know... and my discs are blank unfortunately (they'll stay 'virgin' forever).

I hope one day someone firgures out how to get CDRS to boot as its getting harder to find saturn games and also normal discs get damaged quite easily, it has been 10 years since the saturn launched

Saturn CDs can last a very long time if you treat them well. :huh:

Anyway, emulation will be the key to playing copies of games in the future.

Considering the Saturn's age it is a little surprising you can still buy modboards. As far as developing any new methods of booting CDRs, there probably aren't any and it wouldn't be economically viable to investigate it either. :looney

AntiPasta's CDR doesn't have the security ring...

BTW my CDR , which is similar to AntiPasta's, returns this:

ATIP: Information not available

Disc Manufacturer: Unknown

Reflective layer: Unknown

Media type: Unknown

Recording Speeds: Unknown

nominal Capacity: Unknown

Back