Kickass Headphones

Hey Guys,

I just recently purchased the Thrustmaster T1510 Dolby Digital decoder headphone set. It basically converts Dolby Digital and PLII signals to Dolby Headphone, a surround format for headphones. It sounds quite good, but I'm a bit of a quandary. The headphones that come with the setup are mediocre. I used my Sony MDR-V7000 headphones and they were better with the setup, and then I used my Grado SR225s with it, and that sounded the best imo (I know Grados aren't meant for such things, but still..). Anyway, I'm looking to buy kickass headphones for around 100-150 bucks. What should I go for? I'm not the most technical in this area, but I'm looking for something with a good range, good bass, and something that can get loud enough for me to enjoy the surround sound. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I regularly use my Technics RP-DJ1200 headphones and I like 'em quite a bit. They have great bass response. The highs aren't that exceptional, but they certainly sound good. They're also great at noise cancelling. But I'm confused, why not just use the Grados?

The Grados are not as sturdy as my sonys. Also, they are not loud enough. They are amazing headphones, but I guess they need an amp.

You can get an inline headphone amp on the cheap. However, if you have to use an amp, it will probably reduce the sound quality somewhat.

headphones??? gosh, I just use speakers it is so much easier, and its hilarious having your neighbor over at 3 AM screaming... I always offer them a cup o coffee.

Originally posted by lordofduct@Tue, 2005-03-08 @ 06:42 AM

headphones??? gosh, I just use speakers it is so much easier, and its hilarious having your neighbor over at 3 AM screaming... I always offer them a cup o coffee.

[post=131054]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah thats a riot.

Anyway you might want to check these:

-Sennheiser 650

-Grado SR-60

-AKG is quality too but I don't know any particular model to recommend.

Are you still satisfied with this? I am looking for a way to get dolby digital out of an HD box to headsets. I'm not very enthused with wireless headphones, for security reasons. Also, anyone have ideas? This is for a kiosk in a mall demonstrating what HD and and dolby digital sound.

Yeah, the Thrustmaster T510 is a great little thing. It has an excellent reproduction of Dolby Digital and PLII via Dolby Headphone. I wished it also did DTS, but you do the math why it isn't supported.... It's a good investment. Just beware of battery life, it doesn't last long, maybe two hours max. But I personally don't find it such a big problem because my ears ache after using headphones for so long. I was looking for a portable surround sound solution, since I will be probably globetrotting next year, and this fit the bill.

Back