Lik-Sang

antime

Extra Hard Mid Boss
Busted by Microsoft. Hope they'll recover from this one.

Frankly, obtaining a chip manufacturer was about the dumbest thing they could have done. Anyone remember Bung?

EDIT: Lik-Sang may not be the only ones, word on the net is that a whole slew of similar shops have suddenly closed down.

Yeah I just saw that on CNET

MS is a bunch of crap (I know I'm stating the obvious here) -- Lik Sang isn't doing anything wrong.

MS just likes to pummel anybody who gets in there way of world domination.

Yep.. maybe they should at least dominate the console market 1st
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Hollywood Hasney@Oct. 03 2002, 10:23 am

Yep.. maybe they should at least dominate the console market 1st
tongue.gif

Yeah, according to Sony, "the console war is over" already
sarcasm.gif

Next chapter in the MS saga:

MS rips off Sega's as-of-yet unreleased ideas for new games, claims them as its own, and drives Sega out of business.

In an unrelated move, MS shuts down hackers developing a PS2 emulator for XBox, shooting itself in the leg by preventing increased XBox sales and giving Sony a new boost.

The thing is, MS is losing money on each console they sell (that's what they get for making a brick of a system that's basically a PC) so if they aren't selling any licensed XBox games (which they make licensing $$$ off of) they're out of luck.

I think MS should have just stayed out of the VG console hardware business.

If they made a cost-effective and smaller machine (like the DC or GC) they would be so much better

Normally I'd be pretty pissed about something like this but after recent dealings with them, Lik-Sang aren't far away from Microsoft on my hate list..

Aside from personal feelings, it is pretty shite.. But probably their own fault in the end for being so naive.

well, i ordered some stuff and paid for it 2 days before the server went down. Fucking microsoft. Ayine have any contact emails or somthing?

I've had good experiences with Lik-Sang, and their site is a great example of a shopping site that *works* and doesn't have broken/outdated links... unlike such domestic disappointments like playthegames.com.

I don't think they just vanished... barring any holdups I'm sure they'll ship outstanding orders eventually.

What bugs me about the whole thing is that 1. Microsoft apparently doesn't bother to go after *U.S.* modchip retailers first (how come they have any jurisdiction outside of the States anyhow?) and 2. Lik-Sang is much more than just a modchip site...they legally sell systems, games and accessories of all kinds, with a pretty good selection at that. And we get shut out of that just because of MS' same old brute-force approach. Grrr.

I cant exactly see how microsoft can have juristiction in HK, Especially since HK is now owned by china and they hate capitalist countries like the US so much they are developing their own distro of linux. This one piece of evidence in itself leads me to think that the chinese government probably dont like microsoft that much. If microsoft want to play dirty hey will have to obide by chinese law. i detect that justice may be slightly skewed in lik sangs direction here. Someone please tell me if my postulates are incorrect

With the introduction into the World Trade Organization, China has pressure to live up to other countrys standards (when it comes to piracy).

But in all fairness, the only reason Lik-Sang was shut down was because it was serving in english. That brings way to much attention to them with overseas buyers. If they ran only in Chinese or just keeped off the net (Like most stores) im sure they wouldn't have been targeted so specificly.

The only way to deter Microsoft's bullshit is to get smarter than the company. Learn how to use Unix OSes or KDE open source for examples. I commend hackers for their efforts in making things to help people. They don't just crack systems, but they let people get more out of what they already have. MS will only die if people find something more easy to manipulate and interact with-(i.e better than Windows, Office, etc.) I have always hated MS with a passion, but the only way to get over this shit is to rise above it and get smarter in the computer and software industry. Otherwise just don't let the crap bother you. Software and hardware evolves as equally as the common hacker. Look at the Dreamcast for example. Tons of emulation programs and on the fly software exist for it.

Ya, thats so true (Chen)! The second a store selling Gray market/Pirate stuff goes English on the net, everyone in North Amarica shows up. Next thing, US companys start complaining and then boom! They file a complaint to get them shut down.

But Lan Kwei don't manufacture Xbox mods, do they?

Wasn't that the point?

They don't even appear to sell them... is this recent?

Lik-Sang funded production of the PC-Bioxx/OpenXbox chips, and was apparently going to fund continued development until the MS problem came up.

Originally posted by racketboy@Oct. 03 2002, 8:47 pm

The thing is, MS is losing money on each console they sell (that's what they get for making a brick of a system that's basically a PC) so if they aren't selling any licensed XBox games (which they make licensing $$$ off of) they're out of luck.

I think MS should have just stayed out of the VG console hardware business.

If they made a cost-effective and smaller machine (like the DC or GC) they would be so much better

sega was losing money on every dc sale

sony is losing money on every ps2 sale

gc might be breaking even or maybe not

ms is definitely losing money on each sale

the thing is, they allowed for that, and the business model of consoles is such that they intend to make that money back (and more) from the sales of games

give the xbox enough time, and we might see some games with some depth to them (ie not a fps or a fighting game like doa3)

its shown it has the power.

Originally posted by Taelon@Oct. 04 2002, 5:53 pm

I've had good experiences with Lik-Sang, and their site is a great example of a shopping site that *works* and doesn't have broken/outdated links... unlike such domestic disappointments like playthegames.com.

I don't think they just vanished... barring any holdups I'm sure they'll ship outstanding orders eventually.

What bugs me about the whole thing is that 1. Microsoft apparently doesn't bother to go after *U.S.* modchip retailers first (how come they have any jurisdiction outside of the States anyhow?) and 2. Lik-Sang is much more than just a modchip site...they legally sell systems, games and accessories of all kinds, with a pretty good selection at that. And we get shut out of that just because of MS' same old brute-force approach. Grrr.

dont you think ms/sony/sega/nintendo all dont want you to use import equipment (or unlicensed 3rd party controllers/memory cards/other accessories) since if they wanted you to be able to play any game on any system you wouldnt have the teritory protection in the first place, and the licensed/offical accessories they obviously get a cut of

Back