Like a Dragon

Originally posted by Zheræ@Thu, 2005-08-25 @ 09:25 PM

Doesn't look very gritty to me infact looks very generic.

[post=138775]Quoted post[/post]​

Didn't you read what Mr. Nagoshi said? He said it will be gritty! Unless by generic you mean another GTA clone, then yeah, you might be onto something. Hopefully not though.

Kazuma finds himself caught up in the disappearance of a mysterious girl called Haruka, who holds the key to ten billion yen (it's not actually a physical key that she holds -- Haruka is just closely connected to a massive amount of money).

Does anyone else find it kind of troubling that they had to clear that up?

Nadius... funny

Hrmm, looks ok, really looks like another Shenmue to me though. And I know I am going to affend some fans... but that game really sucked. "Attention to detail"???? My ass, this "Like a Dragon" game better not make me feed cats and buy pops! Really if I just woke up one day with the decission set that I am going to seek revenge for my fathers death I am not gonna be spending the day going to the arcade or buying flowers for some tart.

Originally posted by lordofduct@Sat, 2005-08-27 @ 11:17 PM

Hrmm, looks ok, really looks like another Shenmue to me though. And I know I am going to affend some fans... but that game really sucked. "Attention to detail"???? My ass, this "Like a Dragon" game better not make me feed cats and buy pops! Really if I just woke up one day with the decission set that I am going to seek revenge for my fathers death I am not gonna be spending the day going to the arcade or buying flowers for some tart.

[post=138848]Quoted post[/post]​

It does remind me a lot of Shenmue, but aside from that I disagree with you.

Feeding cats and buying sodee pop are optional and are of little value to the gameplay or story and going to the arcade is another bonus in the game meant as a time killer while you wait for your appointments and also for the young'ns to sample Yu Suzuki's back-catalogue. You never have to buy anyone flowers in Shnemue I or II. I'm a fan of the Shenmue series, but will admit it has some more significant faults you could have brought up. For example the slow pacing and lack of action in the first two discs of Shenmue I, some people don't like the English voice actors (I'm one of them) and also without the wait feature that was added to Shenmue II there is a lot of wasted time in Shenmue I. I really can't think of too many more legitimate complaints against the game though because all anyone ever brings up is the cat minigame, so that's the only one that sticks with me.

it BORED me

and I've played RPGs for years... I have played text adventure RPGs for christ sake... Shenmue 1 bored me, never played 2.

It's probaly not your type of game. But don't waste your time telling people how you feel about such things. Yes it had problems. And There is no excuse for the to persist if they make the on a next gen sytem. (well) what most people complained about is lack of fighting (part of the story)

And is there a downloadable "Ryu ga Gotoku" movie some where

Kannon: I was describing my dislike for Shenmue as it seems this "Like a Dragon" game is similar. My point was the games seem similar, people may like that, I won't be buying the game for that reason. Tell me, what else do you discuss about a game that hasn't been released yet?

Originally posted by lordofduct@Wed, 2005-08-31 @ 12:14 AM

Kannon: I was describing my dislike for Shenmue as it seems this "Like a Dragon" game is similar. My point was the games seem similar, people may like that, I won't be buying the game for that reason. Tell me, what else do you discuss about a game that hasn't been released yet?

[post=138951]Quoted post[/post]​

I was Talking about Shenmue. :sigh

in the first paragraph.

Did anyone ever find a downloadable movie of "Like a Dragon"

Even though I like Shenmue I, I too found it a bit slow-paced. Shenmue II, however, is a totally different story. The first three discs of that game are so awesome and so epic that you'll really be bummed when the experience is over.

Well, this new PS2 game seems to be running on the rumoured PS2 Shenmue 3 engine that Sega was working on for some time.

Since Shenmue 2 bombed on the Xbox (mostly due the console's continued pathetic sales in Japan), Sega decided to move Shenmue 3 over to the PS2. The engine got ported and tweaked quickly, but the next generation consoles would probably be out there by the time the game itself was completed, in traditional Shenmue-style long development times.

So, Sega decided to move Shenmue 3 to next generation and put together something less massive, with a smaller development time, on the existing PS2 engine (and maybe reusing some art assets).

This PS2 Shenmue engine seems to push a bit more polygons than the ol' Shenmue 2 engine, with better lighting and some glow effects. But in some close up shots the character's textures' resolution is surely not up there with the Dreamcast Shenmue versions'.

Back