Lookin for a cellphone

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
Anyone have any recomendations on a cell phone? I am prob. going to be going through Sprint but it's not a definate for sure. I would like one that costs 100 or under w/ new activation. One of the main things I am looking for is durability, I know people who get phones and they start messin up within a month or 2 of having them. I'm also Looking for a good camera, as it'll be my only digital camera, lol. A flash is a HUGE plus on the camera, and zoom is cool as well, but not a need.

Video taking isn't nuffin special, I can do without it but if it comes with it, all good I guess. If a flip phone, then if it has an outside color screen for caller id/time/message notifications/picture taking would be nice. A color one perfered.

I am open to other companies too, I looked at T-mobile and don't like their plans, I like Sprint's much better. Sprint have good cell service?

Well I am off to browse, any help would be appreciated :). (BTW, I live in 84041, Utah. Some places don't have service plans here, so try and keep that in mind.)

get the best one you get for free. I can't justify paying even more than my $20 a month for a cell :)

but that one you showed looks like the one our friends had and they seemed happy with it.

I have a entry level Nokia and the durability seems fine. As long as you don't abuse it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally, I would stick with GSM phones as opposed to TDMA/CDMA. GSM = more features, better reception/signal, Worldwide use.

Check out www.howardforums.com - and read up on some of the stuff there, you'll learn what a good phone needs.

Sprint's service sucks. You so much as go indoors, even if you can see their tower outside your window, and PPPTTTHHHH!!! Analog roaming charges up the ass and out your eyesockets.

I'm with Altell currently. I'm on a decent national coverage plan, though the signal strength lacks somewhat (dropped calls, etc.). My dad and sisters just switched their phones to Cingular and so far that's worked great. I may switch to the same at the end of the year when my current contract is up.

Also, ahem... I would be remiss if I didn't try to pimp one of my own site's affiliate banners here.

I've never understood the point of cell phones.

I fucking HATE them.

I listen to some people at my school say crap like "I don't know what I would do without my cell phone!"

You don't know what you'd do eh? Just go back to what you were doing BEFORE you got the fucking thing!

What I REALLY hate, is seeing all these kids using 'em. WHY THE FUCK DO 14-YEAR OLDS NEED A FUCKING CELL PHONE?! Same with goddamn 15 - 17 year olds.

They're really annoying, and I hate seeing people abusing 'em. To me, the only practical use for 'em would be for emergency situations, and that'd be the only way you'd ever see me with one. Even then, depending on what's going on, it doubtful you'd see me with one.

Just give me a good ol' trusty pager. :)

so people can get ahold of you when yer out. Some people do venture outside their homes Cloud, lol.

About that roaming thing with sprint.....Are they like t-mobile in that u don't get any roaming charges or anything as long as you're in the US? Or is it different?

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Sep 12, 2004 @ 05:31 PM

so people can get ahold of you when yer out. Some people do venture outside their homes Cloud, lol.

About that roaming thing with sprint.....Are they like t-mobile in that u don't get any roaming charges or anything as long as you're in the US? Or is it different?

What the HELL?!

I don't want people to get ahold of me when I'm out.

If people wanna contact me, they call my house, and leave me a message on my answering machine. I'll then get back to 'em.

What a novel concept!

Meh...

The pager just popped in my head while I was typing that.

Don't worry, you're not on my hatelist.

:lol: :p

Get a KYOCERA From Virgin Mobile. Here is the deal, "Live Without A Plan" when your balance gets low, buy a 20$ card go to virginmobileusa.com and enter the required information. There you go, BALANCE UP.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Sep 13, 2004 @ 05:41 AM

I've never understood the point of cell phones.

I fucking HATE them.

Rolf you tool, some people actually use them for work. <_<

I understand that, it's just that the MAJORITY of people who use them, abuse 'em, and that really bugs me.

Oddly enough, I completely agree with Rolf. I've never seen anyone under 40 years old use a celphone for work. If I'm out, I don't want people calling me. That's probably why I'm out in the first place--to get away from annoying mother fuckers. If I need to be in contact with someone, I'll call them myself or take them with me. Phonecalls piss me off to no end. To me, there is nothing more annoying than to stop what you are doing and answer a phone. I may be biased though, I have some deep-rooted psycholgical problems.

To answer the original question, just take whatever the phone company gives out for free. You'll probably get another free one before it breaks.

All I can say to that is that I know of no one in my industry that doesn't have (or need to use) a mobile phone. *shrug*

I got rid of my home phone when I got my cable modem. All I use is the cell phone now. It was cheaper, has free long distance, etc.

It's funny. I even get the damn telemarketers calling me on it. They call offering me LONG DISTANCE service. When I tell them that "this is a cell phone, I get FREE long distance on my plan" they don't know what to say. LOL

I do agree with some of Cloud's sentiment, the world has become overly dependant on being connected 24/7. But cell phones aren't the only contributor there. Cloud, your constant internet usage is just as much a contributor as my being wired 24/7 via cellular. Both are small contributors to a larger problem.

Sign up for a phone and plan on amazon.com , I think the Sony Ericsson T610 is the cheapest, decent phone you can get on there. You have to sign up for a $40/month plan, but just switch plans after you get the rebates. Remember to read rebate requirements.

Back