Looking for a car stereo...

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
Ok, so I just bought me a 92 Toyota MR2 and once I pay it off, I am lookin to get a cd player and whatnot in it. I am looking for one I can plug an ipod into it and use that as a hdd or sorts. Either play it through the ipod, or even the radio remote (awesome :)). Now what does the ipod connector look like? it just a 3.5mm jack? Or some crazy shit? If anyone can give me into on the end that will plug into the cd player that'd be awesome. I just don't wanna have to sped fatty cash on some proprietary BS.

Also, I am not a big fan of just a TON of bass, just sounds liek ass to me (I listen to mostly rock) and so I am thinking just 4 good speakers w/ some solid base and sound w/ a coupel of tweeters. Now to get the full potential out of the speakers, do you have to hook em up to an amp, if so, how is this done?

Sorry if some of this seems newbish, if it does it's cuz I am, lol. Help a brotha out, thanks.

Buy the Pioneer AVIC-N3! I have the AVIC-N1 in my cadillac and LOVE it! Kinda pricy but it does everything. I can hook my saturn straight into it and fit the saturn or xbox in the glove compartment.

Hey dude, crazy coincidence but I own a 91 MR2 Turbo and just installed my stereo in it this last summer. I bought 4 infinity kappa series speakers for it....6.5's up front (which fit fine with 1 inch spacers) and 3.5 in the back. As for base...I used a self powered bazooka tube which gives great bottom end to music without over powering it. For the limited space you have to work with, its ideal.

You definetly need an amp for some respectable sound and as IceDigger mentioned, Pioneer have integrated iPod hook-ups, other decks will require you to use some third party hookup or even a FM transmitter.

If you got any specific instal questions, gimme a shout. By the way, hope you have fun mounting that amp in the frunk!

Ok, before Ice suggest anymore crazy shit, haha. I am thinkin maybe 2-300 bucks. Want soemthin w/ good sound output then the ipod support. No fancy screens or even full-colored displays.

How you hook an amp up to speakers? Also, w/ the pioneer setups, you need anything else other than a cable? They seem to suggest some 150 dollar little square unit...

Well you hook them up to the stereo, then the amp as well? I told you I am a newb :p. Or does the stereo plug into the amp, then out to the speakers?

Here is a pic of the MR2 if anyone wants to gander. Also, anyone recommend any speakers?[attachmentid=1750]

Attachments

• mr2.jpg
    mr2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 113
There are a lot of different ways you can go about hooking your iPod up to the stereo.

1) 3.5mm aux jack on the front of the receiver unit. (i think it is ugly) Most stereos don't have it.

2) RCA Aux inputs on the back of the receiver that you can send to a merriad of very cheap to very expensive docking stations. (anything crom 3.5mm stereo jack to RCA all the way up to iPod specific docking stations)

3) FM modulator - kinda crap as it uses low end stations (as there is little short range interference there) but you are still restricted in the fact you are converting the sound to radio waves and you lose a LOT of quality.

----------

If you get a nice receiver the speakers will most likely not need an amp. Most receivers have 4X50w amps built in which are good enough for most basic sound systems. If you want a little more invest in a 4 channel amp for those speakers and a mono amp for the sub rated at a higher wattage (subs take more power, also if you blow the subs channel you don't have to replace the entire amp... which happens a little more often then you'd hope)

You don't really need to spend tons of money on a receiver though. I have a clarion I picked up used from my cousin for 100 bones, I use a 5 channel amp and it is capable of wma and mp3. It sounds great... the internal amp on the clarion kinda sucks, but I'm not even using that amp... im using the pre outs on the back to my own personal amp.

There are 5 channel amps, but personally the power isn't worth the money. The only reason I have one is because it was free from my cousin who traded his xbox for it and had no use for it. Whatever.

the wiring all depends on how much power you want and well... read the fucking manual. It is all really basic... the hardest part is if you don't understand what series/parallel means AND hiding the God damn wires under everything from the receiver all the way back to the trunk. This is car specific. Just make sure that the receiver you buy has preouts... most stock stereos don't. 99% of commercial ones do, but always make 100% sure. It would suck to order a 200 dollar receiver off ebay and get it home to find out it doesn't have preouts for your speakers. There is a way to send the high pass signal to an amp, but it costs money and again a lot of signal loss.

cool. Ya, no sub for me I don't think, and since the engine is in the back the amp will prob. be located under the hood in the front, hehe.

And again, it MUST be capable of doing ipod. The one I linked above does ipod AND you can control the ipod w/ the receivers remote...VERY cool, haha.

Back