Making a game and wanted to ask people here a question...

Do you, as people of the general public, and as a gamer, really care about "buzzword" design tropes for games? My point being when someone says "this game is a soulslike." I don't really like this one-note sorta offhand denotion of a game. Do you care if an up and coming game is a "Soulslike" or "DMC style" action game? Do those keywords in articles, and sometimes even steam pages themselves, entice you to play the game more?

You will mostly get answers from devs or former devs here 🙂

I personally have learned to not give a shit about labels. Make the game you want to make.
Sometimes labels are so broad that they have lost most of their meaning; like the phrase "RPG". Okay, DOOM is an action RPG. Anyway...
It is extremely unlikely anyone will give a shit about what you make, no matter how they label it.
And if they do put one of these labels on it, it's frightening that they are comparing it to something so good, but heartwarming too.

Fact is if you are making something professionally, you *are* technically competing with these games (DMC/Dark Souls/DOOM) for attention so being comparable to them benefits you in search results and "More Like This" sections. Entice anyone to play doesn't matter, you are competing for visibility before you compete for playtime.

You will mostly get answers from devs or former devs here 🙂

I personally have learned to not give a shit about labels. Make the game you want to make.
Sometimes labels are so broad that they have lost most of their meaning; like the phrase "RPG". Okay, DOOM is an action RPG. Anyway...
It is extremely unlikely anyone will give a shit about what you make, no matter how they label it.
And if they do put one of these labels on it, it's frightening that they are comparing it to something so good, but heartwarming too.

Fact is if you are making something professionally, you *are* technically competing with these games (DMC/Dark Souls/DOOM) for attention so being comparable to them benefits you in search results and "More Like This" sections. Entice anyone to play doesn't matter, you are competing for visibility before you compete for playtime.
I see. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I actually would like it IF my game gets to that point where it can be compared to DMC or Bayonetta, but not actually directly compare it. I wanna do my own shit, stand on my own 2 feet. And I wanna share it with all of you guys, soon as I get these character models animated.

Back