Making copies of Sega CD's Is it easy?

So I have a bunch of old sega CD games I would like to back up. Before I jump into it and start making copies of the discs and screwing them up and waisting a lot of my time, I was wondering how easy it is to do.

Can I just make an exact copy of the original game with a standard burning program, or is it more complicated. I have looked around and read the FAQS but it really just deals with iso's and cue sheets... which makes no sence to me at all. I would assume that if you have the original disks you wouldnt need to go through all that... but thats why Im here asking.

Basicly I just need some advise from others. Any particular speed you recommend burning at or any particular media to burn on? Can I use the regular software that came with my PC or do I need something else like Alcohol or Nero? Any advise or links to a place that can answer my questions and help me along the way would be appreciated. Thanks!

any name brand media should be fine

Nero, Discjuggler, or CDRWin would fine for software. That's what I use.

Bin/Cue are just usually the kind of files you'll find on the net.

But you can use many different formats for your own use.

I recommend 8X burning.

It's very easy to make exact copies.

I'm glad your response was different this time, mal, or I myself would have suffered something worse than just a deja vu :blink: :lol:

I did briefly consider posting the same answer. ;)

Hey asked basically the same question, so I gave basically the same answer :)

Yeah, I asked pretty much the same question on the Saturn forums too. I figured they would get different responces though as I thought it would be harder for Saturn copies to work properly due to better copy protection.

So if I understand the advise correctly, I can just make exact copies of my Sega CD games and they should have no trouble playing in my system, right?

As for the Saturn games, I can make exact copies of them, but I will need to mod my Saturn (which I dont want to do) or learn the disc swap trick to get the games to play.

Is there any risk with the swap trick of wearing out the motor or damaging anything in the saturn?

Don't sweat the duplicate questions -- but we aren't too large of a board that we have to split up questions that are so similar.

Anyway, there MAY be some burning software that might not do it right, but most popular software should work. Haven't used Roxio in forever, so I don't know about them. I just listed what I know works.

But no, copying Sega CD and Saturn games are as complicated as, say, more recent game discs.

And with the Sega CD, you just pop copies in and play. The only thing that would ever give your trouble is if you try playing a game with a different country code (which can be changed for some games)

As for the swap trick, yes you are risking damaging your drive. Even if you're really good, you will put on some wear. I would go with a mod chip unless it just really isn't feasible for you.

Thanks for the advise. I have an original Saturn so I dont want to damage it as its pretty much a favorite of mine. Any suggestions on mod chips or reputable sites where to buy one?

My soldering skills arent that great ... is it hard to install a Saturn mod yourself?

jandaman.com has them in stock (just checked) and is a great place for all sorts of accessories.

I'm not much of a solderer either, but I hear it's pretty easy. Just make sure that your soldering iron has a fairly small tip otherwise it's hard to be very precise.

You only need a cart if you're going to play import games (or backups without converting the country code). You will also need a cart with RAM in it if you want to play some of the Capcom and SNK games that require it like Metal Slug, X-Men vs Street Fighter and a few others.

Originally posted by ccgtrader_78@Mar 19, 2004 @ 08:07 AM

Thanks for the advise. I have an original Saturn so I dont want to damage it as its pretty much a favorite of mine. Any suggestions on mod chips or reputable sites where to buy one?

My soldering skills arent that great ... is it hard to install a Saturn mod yourself?

Normally I'm not that picky, but because you felt the need to start up a virtually identicle Saturn burning thread as well, can you try and stay on topic?

Ok... I copied 4 of my favorite titles. Lunar, Lunar 2, Vay, and Dark Wizard.

All of them work fine except for Lunar. It starts up and displays the Working Designs logo then the Lunar logo and then goes to a black screen. I popped in the original disk and it should follow with the intro cinema, but the copy doesnt do this. I would assume it was a bad copy er something like that. Just wanted to check and make sure there wasnt anything special I had to do with that game.

I used a generic TDK "certified plus" disc, but Im not sure what speed they were burned at. I used the standard HP Record Now software that came with my PC, and it wont let me control the speed as far as I know. Anyways, three work and one kinda works....

nope -- if the original plays, the copy should too.

if your HP software got the other copies to work, I would assume that it's fine for all backups.

Although I'm thinking back to an old discussion we had about Lunar.

Was there a special thing that had to be done when burning that one like DAO or something? I'm not a SegaCD-Super-Techie, so I'm not sure, but if you try another burn and it's doesn't work, download a free trial of Nero and give that a try.

Originally posted by racketboy@Mar 19, 2004 @ 12:01 PM

Was there a special thing that had to be done when burning that one like DAO or something? I'm not a SegaCD-Super-Techie, so I'm not sure, but if you try another burn and it's doesn't work, download a free trial of Nero and give that a try.

That certainly applies if you're burning from iso/mp3 but I'm not sure how it relates to disc copying.

You could well be right - as I said, I'm not sure.

I'm not big on burning Sega CD games myself. I've only ever burnt a handful.

Do you have anything on CD to CD copying (let alone specifically for Lunar)?

All I can see at first glance are ripping and restoring guides.

Back