Master System II Problem.

Hi.

Long time no post.

I've been buying lots of Sega Consoles lately (and clones as well), and the last item that I've bought was a Master System II.

The clerk behind the counter already knows me for my addiction-to-old-consoles, and everyone that she gets, she keeps it for me, functional or not. She told me that this Master System (The only one I've got), was non-functional. I've bought it for 1€ (yup, you've read right 1€) in it's box, as new. (Pad, manuals, AC Adapter and RF Connector still packed.)

As soon as I've got home, I connected it to the television and turned it on, and to my surprise Sonic was in it's "attract" (?) mode. Pressed the button on the pad, and it worked... soon I was jumping and killing bugs, and collecting coins.

All was well until I passed the "Fast-shoes Computer" (the one that makes speed go 2x faster). When I tried to go back, I noticed that I couldn't.

I thought it was the pad, but after trying with an Mega Drive Pad, and another Master System pad that works for sure, I know now that my problem is in the console itself.

Information on the Master System is scarce if not non-existant on the internet, So I'm out of clues on how to fix it. I've already opened it, to check for contacts that should not be there... (like 2 points being connected by solder), but I've failed to find one.

The buttons work, and the down, down-right and right work. I couldn't test the others as sonic doesn't use them for anything (the up and up-right one) but left and down-left do not work for sure.

Can anyone help me? Thanks. :D

Sounds like a bad connection on the controller port; double check everything around the port and see if you spot anything amiss.

I've been looking for burned traces, solder connections and such and no go. Is it possible to be a Game-rom problem, or anything else? I have no other game for it atm, but I would try and find one.

It's quite unlikely that it's anything else. Probably just physical wear and tear; figure out which pin relates to 'left' on the control pad (try gamesx.com) and check it out. If you have a soldering iron, try just putting a dab of solder on the spot where that pin contacts the board.

Originally posted by it290@Mon, 2005-05-30 @ 12:37 PM

It's quite unlikely that it's anything else. Probably just physical wear and tear; figure out which pin relates to 'left' on the control pad (try gamesx.com) and check it out. If you have a soldering iron, try just putting a dab of solder on the spot where that pin contacts the board.

[post=134692]Quoted post[/post]​

Well I just did something crazy ... I took the controller ports off the board. so there's no connection. Still Sonic starts running to the right everytime I start the game.

I may have not explained myself correctly.

The problem is:

I turn on the console:

Press A button to start Sonic

He starts running to the right. (The fact that I have a controller connected at that time or not doesn't matter as he continues to run to the right so It's not the controller, and now neither the controller ports.).

I'm confused.

Back