MEGACD/SEGACD Technical Prototype V2.

A look at Tech Prototype V2 of the graphics engine I’m building for the Sega Mega-CD, based on MegaDev and gradually modified to bring my own ideas to life.

The goal is to capture the atmosphere of classic Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil: real-time 3D characters, pre-rendered backgrounds, fixed camera angles, and a house you probably shouldn’t have entered…

The challenge is to adapt that vision to what this hardware can realistically achieve. Bringing even a taste of that experience to the Mega-CD would be an achievement in itself.

The prototype already features combat, lighting effects, interactive objects, dialogue, voices, and a scripted encounter.

This footage was recorded in the Fusion emulator. It hasn’t been tested on original hardware yet, but luckily I own a Mega-CD, which I’ll use for testing further down the road.

There’s still a lot of work ahead, and turning this into a complete game will depend on whether I can meet some demanding technical goals. I’m not promising a finished game at this stage. For now, I’m having a blast exploring what this underrated machine can do and pushing it as far as I can.

Welcome to the house. Welcome to the power of the MEGA-CD.
 
Back
Top