Megaman Games -- the controls

racketboy

Established Member
I've been playing a bit of various megaman games.

I can't seem to get used to them for the following reasons:

Megaman can't duck, shoot up, or shoot diagnally.

Why is that?

I guess I'm just used to Gunstar Heroes, but doesn't it seem odd?

I can understand it for the first few NES incarnations, but after he made it to the SNES and PSX, you think Megaman would pick up some basic skills.

Any insight from MM aficianados?

I have them all, if its a problem, play Rockman & Forte. If I remember correctly you can choose your style in that one. :ph34r:

Edit: of course, I could be wrong...it's been awhile. :thumbs-up:

I think they kept it that way for two reasons.

One, for a sort of built-in difficulty level, and two, because they wanted to maintain the same gameplay formula they did in all past MM games.

Personally, I loved MegaMan, but I've grown tired of it. My take, don't bother playing the NES and SNES (even PSX) MegaMan games unless you're up to the challenge of the repetitive nature that is MegaMan, or you're a MegaMan nut.

I like the controls. Sure it's different but it is original at best. Can you imagine how different the game would be if you could shoot in all directions? It just wouldn't be Megaman. My fav Megamans are 1-3 (NES) and X1-X3. Btw, the closest thing to a duck in Megaman is a skid - you can avoid head hgh bullets by skidding under them. But this is in Megaman 3-6 only.

Originally posted by ratfish@Oct 24, 2003 @ 11:32 PM

I think they kept it that way for two reasons.

One, for a sort of built-in difficulty level, and two, because they wanted to maintain the same gameplay formula they did in all past MM games.

Personally, I loved MegaMan, but I've grown tired of it. My take, don't bother playing the NES and SNES (even PSX) MegaMan games unless you're up to the challenge of the repetitive nature that is MegaMan, or you're a MegaMan nut.

Bah - you say exclude the best Megaman games just because their repetitive nature? Then we might aswell exclude playing Metal Slug games cause they have a repetitive nature. Perhaps a better reason not to play Megaman is because they are hard unless you are really skilled at them.

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Oct 24, 2003 @ 09:45 PM

Bah - you say exclude the best Megaman games just because their repetitive nature? Then we might aswell exclude playing Metal Slug games cause they have a repetitive nature. Perhaps a better reason not to play Megaman is because they are hard unless you are really skilled at them.

Did I say that? Did I really? I don't remember saying that *flashy thing* :ph34r:

Okay okay, I change my opinion, and I see where I may have gotten you confused.

I should have said, play MegaMan 2, 3, 5, 6, and maybe one or two of the MMX games on SNES, and try MegaMan Legends, it's worth a play, and then see if you like any of the 32-bit MMX incarnations. The GameBoy incarnations (1 to 5) are okay, and I didn't like MMZero on GBC too much. MegaMan Battle Network was interesting in the way that it was grid-based and turn-based, and also made use of a card-type system.

Once you've went through all of those, you'll be closer to seeing things my way.

Oh yes, and one last thing MegaMan Soccer, the only soccer game I bother to play. :hehehe:

I've experienced a weird phenomenon with early mega man (nes) games, they're pretty bland now. I was a mega man pro, back in the day, and fairly recently when I went back to play them, I've found that I suck really bad. Now, don't think because of that, I put the controller down and played some Punch Out!! No, I kept at it, and when i regained some skill at it, I realized that this is like stale bread now, because even when I breezed through the level, I had to play the trial and error game with the boss. At that point, i wondered what the hell I was doing playing it when I was a kid.

Now that I think about it, I don't play it like I play it as a kid anymore, I don't use my imagination when I play games any more.. I've become used to newer systems' advanced graphics to fill in the details for me to the point where my imagination justs sits back and does nothing. I realize that it's this same syndrome that doesn't let me enjoy point and click games like shadowgate anymore.

Just tried playing X6 on ePSXe and it's not too bad.

You can duck (and shoot)!

Seriously, I'm not much for platformers, but I might have to give MM a try.

At least they're 2D.

Originally posted by ratfish+Oct 25, 2003 @ 12:04 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ratfish @ Oct 25, 2003 @ 12:04 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Oct 24, 2003 @ 09:45 PM

Did I say that? Did I really? I don't remember saying that *flashy thing* :ph34r:

Okay okay, I change my opinion, and I see where I may have gotten you confused.

I should have said, play MegaMan 2, 3, 5, 6, and maybe one or two of the MMX games on SNES, and try MegaMan Legends, it's worth a play, and then see if you like any of the 32-bit MMX incarnations. The GameBoy incarnations (1 to 5) are okay, and I didn't like MMZero on GBC too much. MegaMan Battle Network was interesting in the way that it was grid-based and turn-based, and also made use of a card-type system.

Once you've went through all of those, you'll be closer to seeing things my way.

Oh yes, and one last thing MegaMan Soccer, the only soccer game I bother to play. :hehehe:[/b]

? Yeah, played Megaman 1-6 (NES), Megaman X1-X6, Megaman Battle Network 1, Megaman Power Battles, Megeman 2 (GB). And I still don't understand what you are saying

<!--QuoteBegin-racketboy
@Oct 25, 2003 @ 12:37 AM

Just tried playing X6 on ePSXe and it's not too bad.

You can duck (and shoot)!

Seriously, I'm not much for platformers, but I might have to give MM a try.

At least they're 2D
[/quote]

Hah, yeah, I forgot about X6.

Most of the MM games rely upon destroying the enemy as quickly and efficiently as possible, not doding their shots, although you can dodge by jumping/sliding. As posted above, try Rockman & Forte if you want to shoot in all directions, but I find it more difficult to play as Forte in that game (since you can't shoot and move at the same time, nor do you have a charge shot). If you think about it, Castlevania is the same way- except Super Castlevania IV, which is one of the weakest in the series IMHO.

Originally posted by Nadius@Oct 24, 2003 @ 10:32 PM

Now that I think about it, I don't play it like I play it as a kid anymore, I don't use my imagination when I play games any more.. I've become used to newer systems' advanced graphics to fill in the details for me to the point where my imagination justs sits back and does nothing. I realize that it's this same syndrome that doesn't let me enjoy point and click games like shadowgate anymore.

Thanks. I was looking for a way to express why playing the games that I used to play before feel so different. I think you hit the nail square on the head. That's exactly one of the issues that makes the same game feel different.

Megaman's gameplay relies on something that was common in the old days, but disappeared today:

You are given a set of things you can do, and you need to solve the levels with those *only*. That creates a puzzle-ish thing in the underlyings of the action.

In Megaman's case, in the majority of games you can only:

-shoot foward

-jump

-jump+shoot

-skid

-charge the weapon

-change your weapon to one of the bosses' you defeated

And the levels are (or should be, in some games of the series) built around those features. If the game doesn't throw enemies at you that would *require* diagonal shoots or ducking for you to be able to kill/dodge them, then it's all fine.

Those things make the game a bit more unique than others over time, and it's a Capcom's remarkable characteristic: when they create a series, and put a gameplay in that series, they won't deviant too much from the original gameplay over the sequels, unless they make spin-off titles. See Resident Evil games. They add one or another thing, but hardly change the gameplay scheme to the point it would give the game a different feeling (like running and shooting at the same time).

And whenever they do deviate from a games original gameplay, they make sure to not include it as 'apart of the series' but rather give the game a new series. Eg. Resident Evil Survivor games are not apart of the Resident Evil series, and Megaman X games are not apart of the Megaman series. Though they stuffed up big time with X7 by puting parts of the game in 3D.

Edit: Now Capcom are making an RPG in the X series.. perhaps Capcom won't be so well-known for their 'sticking with the original gameplay'.

Back