Mod chip on a Saturn...

I've got a new Saturn that works fine, along with an import game or two like Radiant Silvergun, for which I'll get the Action Replay 4in1 cartridge thing...

But what about a mod chip for the Saturn? I really want one of those, but do I really need one? I don't plan on burning backups of games, and the only thing I can think of would be homebrew development CD-Rs...but I can run those by linking that ARP cart to my parallel port, right? I'm just not sure if it's a novelty or if I could really use it.

The only pain in the ass about the PC Comms-Link card is that it's ISA, so you have to have a relativley dated machine to run it...

I had to part out a seperate box just for it...

~Krelian

Can anyone tell me exactly what an ISA port is? I can't access those sites, they're not responding at the moment. I assumed the cart would hook in through parallel port, but apparently I am wrong.

By the way, I'll just assume that the Saturn hobbyist developers here prefer the cartridge to mod chips and tons of CD-Rs?

that's old style expansion slot found on old M/B before PCI slot took over...

there was EISA as well...

you know PC were a lot different back than from what we have today...

geez I sound like old geezer :p

cheers

Thank God that eisa is not around anymore. No more fricken eisa config utilities and special drivers!

ISA is a 16-bit extension port for your mobo... when systems went 32-bit they stopped making them, and replaced it with the PCI....

Dag, that P4 board is pretty steep though, the mobo I use cost me all of $20...

~Krelian

P.S.: Then again I'm used to paying AMD kind of prices... anything Intel seems way too high to me.

Originally posted by patroclus02@Aug 27, 2004 @ 07:41 AM

What is it about?? I never heard of something like this?

from memory ARP uses COMM card that comes in ISA format only.

the port on ARP cart may looks like parallel port but it is not

cheers

you can still get the card from time to time...

eBay sometimes carry one and Yahoo Japan carry as well although usually it's for PSX...

cheers

Well, I found an ISA card selling for some PSX accessory on a site. Sold out, though.

Actually, I was running through old computers at the place I work, and I noticed that some of them had a port that was the size of a parallel, but it was male instead of female. Is that an example of ISA port? You'd have to run a female-female cable from the ARP to the port?

Originally posted by Omni@Aug 27, 2004 @ 03:58 PM

Well, I found an ISA card selling for some PSX accessory on a site. Sold out, though.

Actually, I was running through old computers at the place I work, and I noticed that some of them had a port that was the size of a parallel, but it was male instead of female. Is that an example of ISA port? You'd have to run a female-female cable from the ARP to the port?

No, an ISA port is like a PCI port, but black and longer (isn't the first one implying the second one ? :p)

Back