MOD CHIP...

Hi

I have a Model 2 Euro PAL SEGA Saturn and I want to install a MOD chip to play copied CDs and burned ISOs. My query is which MOD chip is suitable for this task? Are there many different types of MOD chip for this specific Saturn, or just one that will work on any type of Saturn? For example I know that there are at least 7 different types of MOD chips, for the various models of the PS-2! So I want to know if these complications also exist for the Saturn.

Where can I find detailed technical instructions, on how to install/solder the MOD chip, with pictures if possible & order the chip from?

I have a Universal PRO adapter in order to play non PAL Saturn games. Will this conflict with the MOD chip, or does the chip also bypasses the CD regions letting me play games from any country as well as the copy protection? Because I want to also be able to play Japanese copied Saturn CDs (Radiant Silvergun)!

In the back of the Saturn case it says: "MODEL NO:MK-80200A-50" I don't know if this is needed for the MOD Chip choice?

Any help will be highly appreciated

Thanks.

My query is which MOD chip is suitable for this task? Are there many different types of MOD chip for this specific Saturn, or just one that will work on any type of Saturn?

A few years ago there were some different modboard on "market" right now _only_ one modboard is sold, the easier way to buy one is online.. look at Jandaman these modboard seem to be sold in good shape :)

Where can I find detailed technical instructions, on how to install/solder the MOD chip, with pictures if possible & order the chip from?

There is a sticky thread at the top of Saturn Section of these forums, it describes an easier way of installing modboards.

These two pics may help you:

Modboard Back

Modboard Front

I have a Universal PRO adapter in order to play non PAL Saturn games. Will this conflict with the MOD chip, or does the chip also bypasses the CD regions letting me play games from any country as well as the copy protection?

Modboards do not defeat country code protection, but they don't interfere with carts :)

In the back of the Saturn case it says: "MODEL NO:MK-80200A-50" I don't know if this is needed for the MOD Chip choice?

Humm.. You probably find references to 64pin/32pin and 21pin/20pin on that sticky thread.. Here a simply explanation :)

When someone talks about 21pin/20pin he is referring to the number of pins on the flat cable that connects the cdboard to the mainboard.

ALL model2 saturns have 21pins... And those modboards that are currently sold ONLY work with 21pin saturns...

The 64pin/32pin is because not all model2 saturns have the same cdboard, some of those have a 32pin IC (the also have a 64pin.. hehe), and some only have a 64pin, the _problem_ is that it seems those cdboards with a 64pin IC are harder to mod.. because they only work with some modboards... (I think we have some reports that jandaman's modboards work on 64pin saturns, but i'm not sure.. i'll check that right away :p)

Hope you find this helpfull.

Is there a way to find if I have a 32PIN or a 64PIN Saturn, without opening the console?

Maybe from the MODEL NO:MK-80200A-50?

If not I will have to open it to find what I have.

Let's hope it's 32PIN...

OK I opened it.

I have a MODEL 2, 32PIN Saturn. So it might be a bit easier to MOD it I guess.

I tried the swaping trick, to play a burned Radiant Silvergun ISO+mp3 (JAP) using PRO universal Adapter,but it didn't work!

It's a waste of time trying this trick. I gave up! :(

no it isn't..

If you are burning to CDR you can patch the country code to match your saturn's country code... Satconv just patch the ISO before burning.. then you won't need that cartdridge..

either way, try this:

1 - Turn On the saturn with a CDR in it, let it spin until it completely STOPs on cdplayer..

2 - Swap for an original cd

3 - Press RESET, and let saturn read the ring from the original CD, then swap it for the CDR.

Good luck

When you use satcw32 to change the country region of the ISO, do you check the "Clear other codes when patching" or it is not necesary? I'm trying to make Radiant Silvergun (Jap) work.

Also how do you copy original Saturn games CDs to CD-R? Should I use NERO or CloneCD? And how do you make backup ISO+mp3 of an original Saturn game?

When you use satcw32 to change the country region of the ISO, do you check the "Clear other codes when patching" or it is not necesary? I'm trying to make Radiant Silvergun (Jap) work.

I usually clear the other country codes.. but I think it doesn't matter..

Also how do you copy original Saturn games CDs to CD-R? Should I use NERO or CloneCD?

Just use what you want.. saturn cds don't need any special burning process.. just a plain copy should work... (you can even use audio cd settings.. hehe)

And how do you make backup ISO+mp3 of an original Saturn game?

Look at the Miscellaneous Section :)

Originally posted by retroborg@Aug 21, 2003 @ 04:54 AM

And how do you make backup ISO+mp3 of an original Saturn game?

Don't make ISO + MP3's. They're the worst physically possible rip format.

Make a Nero or Discjuggler image (NRG or CDI)... or CloneCD.

Originally posted by IBarracudaI@Aug 21, 2003 @ 04:59 PM

what about the infamous BIN+CUE format? :p

Still loses some data and is more vulnerable to erroneous error correction (see also: Alcohol 120%). Also loses entire file structure - it has to be rewritten when the data is burned.

Originally posted by IBarracudaI@Aug 21, 2003 @ 04:59 PM

what about the infamous BIN+CUE format? :p

OK. I will make a copy of original Panzer Dragoon CD using NERO to try the Swap trick.

What was not made clear at jandaman site was if this mod chip works for both PAL & NTSC saturn consoles. I have PAL.

Also I have Radiant Silvergun ISO+mp3 consisting of 1 ISO 167MB data file & 18 mp3 tracks like this:

ISO.iso

02.mp3

03.mp3

04.mp3

......etc

19.mp3

I used NERO & the following CUE sheet to burn on CD. Is this accurate or will I have to do it again?

FILE ISO.iso BINARY

TRACK 01 MODE1/2048

INDEX 01 00:00:00

POSTGAP 00:02:00

FILE 02.mp3 MP3

TRACK 02 AUDIO

PREGAP 00:02:00

FILE 03.mp3 MP3

TRACK 03 AUDIO

FILE 04.mp3 MP3

TRACK 04 AUDIO

FILE 05.mp3 MP3

TRACK 05 AUDIO

FILE 06.mp3 MP3

TRACK 06 AUDIO

FILE 07.mp3 MP3

TRACK 07 AUDIO

FILE 08.mp3 MP3

TRACK 08 AUDIO

FILE 09.mp3 MP3

TRACK 09 AUDIO

FILE 10.mp3 MP3

TRACK 10 AUDIO

FILE 11.mp3 MP3

TRACK 11 AUDIO

FILE 12.mp3 MP3

TRACK 12 AUDIO

FILE 13.mp3 MP3

TRACK 13 AUDIO

FILE 14.mp3 MP3

TRACK 14 AUDIO

FILE 15.mp3 MP3

TRACK 15 AUDIO

FILE 16.mp3 MP3

TRACK 16 AUDIO

FILE 17.mp3 MP3

TRACK 17 AUDIO

FILE 18.mp3 MP3

TRACK 18 AUDIO

FILE 19.mp3 MP3

TRACK 19 AUDIO

This CD did not work using the swap method. The mp3 tracks are the voices from the game. The music tracks are contained within the ISO I guess? But I'm not sure if this ISO works in the first place?! The Saturn recognizes it as an audio CD at least.

Has anyone else done a similar compilation and worked?

retroborg, you can't swap in Radiant Silvergun. It's JAPANESE. You don't have a Japanese system.

You need an Action Replay to run Japanese games.

there is Satconv to choose the right country code ;) I used it for Radiant Silvergun :)

He said he have a a Universal PRO adapter , so country code is not a problem here...

Well, i think you have a Saturn with a "fast" swap (laser checks security ring for only about 2-3 seconds, then goes back to inner side of the disk - and not stays on the ouside trying to read a security ring), so you need to do a swapping trick really fast - it's kinda hard without any experience from model 1 swapping. I encountered this on some model 2 Saturn's - and I was able to swap cd's only without a top cover (so I can swap them in about 2 seconds, and also spin a cd by hand when placing it on spindle).

It's hard to do a swapping trick on such Saturn, but all of these Saturn's were 32 IC PIN and liksang's modchips worked fine on them....so you better go and mod you system. And yes, modchips works on PAL & NTSC systems.

That "fast" swap you are refering to isn't hardware specific, in some games, i can tell that in _all_ small games, saturn tries to read the ring over and over, on larger games (games that occupy more cdrom space), the saturn only tries to read it once.

No, it is hardware specific. Usually (model 1) saturn tries to read the ring al least for 10-15 seconds (when you remove backup cd, laser stays on outside track for 10-15 seconds) - and on some model 2 saturn's is tries only one time (1-2 seconds), then goes back to inner circle... Then it tries to read the ring again, but even if you manage to swap disks correctly for the second time it won't boot the game.

The main problem is that such saturn won't try to read the ring for some time (with laser not moving from outside track, so you have some time to swap cd) and only tries to do this 1 time - so you must swap cd's very quick, no matter how large or small the game is.

Well, I'm selling saturn's here, and so far I encountered only 2 such "fast swap" saturn's (from about 10-15 of them).

humm, maybe you are referring to saturn's with sanyo cdboards.. those ones, I know that are very tricky to swap with. The swaps timing is very strict.

Sanyo cdboards, were used in later model2's.

Some games require a second swap. What's up with that? NBA Jam TE is an example.

Edit: I mean after the Sega logo comes up. I'm not sure if that's what you were referring to.

I know what you are talking about, some games even ask for a security check in the middle of the game.. Resident evil checks the ring when you select new game on the menu.. others do it in loading screens, etc..

Back