MOD from Jandaman is not working on 64pin

Ok. I just bought a mod from Jandaman and installed it, but games won't boot.

My saturn is round-buttoned, PAL, 21 pin ribbon twisted cable (chips on mod must face AWAY from the CD board), model number MK-80200A-50

I've tried every combination possible i can think of, but the thing does not seem to be working. Currently I have set it up like this:

- Blue cable connected A to B method

- Red cable soldered into +5V socket

- Solder bridge set to 0019 (I have also tried 0014)

I reckon there is a possibility that the lack of success is due to backups burned at greater speed than 1x (since I had a similar problem when I bought a PSX boot CD and first attemped to load a backup). Mine have been burned at 4x using Nero. Shall I attempt to burn at 1x?

The possibility of static-destroying the mod worries me. How can one know if the mod has been wasted due to a static discharge or something? I handled it carefully and all, but who knows...

Somebody PLEEEEEEZE give me a tip, or I'll go mental :damn: (and/or sell me some originals!)

I just got my mod from Jandaman as well, and I can't seem to get it to work in my 64 pin Saturn either.

I tried both A-B method, and soldering point B to the 8th leg of the 64 pin IC.

No go either way, it just goes to the CD player screen.

I guess its back to the old swap trick...

ARGH!

Jandaman mods worked on two 64 pin saturns my friend and I soldered. One white model 2, and one US model 2.

Maybe you guys are putting the mod in wrong?

I have my mod facing OUT, away from the cd block.

The ribbon cable faces down, into the saturn.

Red wire goes in the 2nd from the top power supply.

If not, I'm one lucky shit :lol:

Originally posted by slinga@Sep 29, 2003 @ 10:50 PM

Maybe you guys are putting the mod in wrong?

I have my mod facing OUT, away from the cd block.

The ribbon cable faces down, into the saturn.

Red wire goes in the 2nd from the top power supply.

If not, I'm one lucky shit :lol:

That is exactly what i did. But nothing. Tried the AB method, the pin method, flipping it both ways just to see, and a whole bunch of other tweaks. I guess you are one luck shit! :puke:

Originally posted by kazlivsjy@Sep 20, 2003 @ 06:16 PM

I reckon there is a possibility that the lack of success is due to backups burned at greater speed than 1x (since I had a similar problem when I bought a PSX boot CD and first attemped to load a backup). Mine have been burned at 4x using Nero. Shall I attempt to burn at 1x?

Don't bother.

PS1's CD drive is horrible, bad, awful, disgusting, and just generally shit.

It's EXTREMELY sensitive to very minor problems on discs... so you really have to get the highest quality burn possible, 1x...

Saturn (just like every OTHER disc-based console) isn't too sensitive to small errours... I burn all my Saturn and Dreamcast games at 8x, and the one time I tried 20x it worked without a hitch as well.

umm i seem to be having the same probs... when u get to the cd player part, do u have to green cubes? i seem to have 1 green 1 yellow

cd drive wont spin either...

Hmm... I must've been really really lucky b/c my 64 pin works great w/ the chip. Mine has a different number on the back of it than the one listed at the top of this thread though. MK-80000A not MK-80200A.

NR Pickle, I don't suppose you'd be so kind as to list the chip numbers off of your mod (particularly the large rectangular IC)? I just got a chip for my 64-pin as well (MK-80000A- didn't get the chip from Jandaman though), and I'm having the same issues as the others here. After reading through the other thread at the top of the page, I think that perhaps the chips present on the mod board may be the issue here. The one I have says EM78P156ELP and I'm getting the green cubes on the CD player screen, although the first time I tried it it would boot originals, but not CDRs.

Dongoku.. if you're having problems with the drive not spinning up I would suggest checking the connections on both the 5v line that runs to the mod board, and the ribbon cable. When I had either of those not plugged in correctly, the drive wouldn't spin up at all.

Swap trick works fine, when I burn at 40x, so I assume that the Modchip should work as well.

Here are some details on my Saturn (64 pin):

Model #: MK-80000A

Manufactured June, 1996 IV

I was wonder about you people who have 64 pin Saturns that work or don't work with a modchip, if you could please post this info.

1) The manufactured date

2) The number of pins on the IC, either 32, 64 or no chip

it290:

Chip number? I don't know anything about chips, lol. I'm totally shocked that I was able to do this as i had never even really opened anything before. The only thing I can really say is that it looks exactly like all the pics of chips I've seen on this board except for one thing. On the square chip in the center, there is a square white sticker that covers it. I haven't seen that in any pics anywhere and no one else has mentioned a blank label like this that I've seen.

I could look for the number you just gave on the chip except for one small problem. The ribbon cable completely covers the chip in a VERY tight fit so I can't see it without taking the chip out. I can't take the chip out b/c of an issue w/ the wire going to the psu. I ended up having to cut it off and strip it like 4 times so there is no slack at all. Basically I'd lose the wire have major problems.

drk42:

My saturn is the same model# and manufacture date as yours. June 1996 IV. 64 pin chip, 21 pin ribbon. The mod works like a charm. I really don't understand why mine would work and nobody elses.

Anbody:

This may sound like a stupid question, but are you guys putting the cdr in the saturn before you turn it on? Like if you turn it on w/o a game and put one in at the menu it will load up. Mine is sketchy doing that with cdr's. But it loads them great when they are in it before I turn it on. This probably won't help anybody but it's really the only thing I can think of.

Hmm, mine's a July 1996 EF model, 64 pin as stated above. I've tried every possible combination of having a game in when starting the system / booting from the CD player as well as booting from the Action Replay menu. I also tried opening and closing the lid as someone posted here, all with no results. I'm really thinking the problem has more to different revisions of mod chips than anything else.

Went over to a friends place, opened up his Saturn, and it was a 32 pin IC.

Of course the mod worked perfectly.

It was dated September 1996

aaugh, my modchip worked for 1 week, then it melted. i cant believe how cheap this chip is. i really wish that jandaman would do something about this

Just email me your order number and I can send a replacement.

I've sold hundreds of chips so far with few complaints.

I hope people who are having problems contact me because then I can hopefully find out if it's a certain batch having problems or somethign else.

Back