• Rise from your gwave!

modding a MK-80200-50

Discussion in 'Saturn' started by VenusPink, Nov 23, 2001.

1. VenusPink

VenusPink New Member

I want to mod a PAL Saturn MK-80200-50 (oval buttons, plus the power and access LEDs) I think it is 20 pin, if I counted right. Well the inside looks somewhat different than the pics i've seen in modding instructions on several sites. Thats why I am kinda uncertain where to start. First of all i of course need a chip that supports 20 pin. The only link I found was http://www.videogamecompany.com/acatalo....>Anyone knowing of other links please tell me. Also I would be thankful for any instructions for modding this saturn model or replies of anyone having experience with it. Thx in advance.

2. IceDigger

IceDigger Founder Staff Member

getting a 20 pin mod is #### near impossible.

the modchip they have pictured is NOT 20 pin compatible.

3. megametalgreymon

megametalgreymon New Member

and ive ordered modchips from them in the past, its not a case of an old picture or anything, they are 21pin only

4. Supergrom

Supergrom Member

which Action replay listed there is better? the Sega Saturn 5 in 1 Cartridge, or the Action Replay + 4M Auto. the second one is more expensive, but i mostly want it for the extra ram and the extra memory would be nice. The territory lockout doesnt make too much of a difference since you can patch games, but i want to play x-men vrs. streetfighter and metal slug. THanks

5. Mo Threat

Mo Threat New Member

The Action Replay 4Meg Plus is great. I've never had any problems with mine. It's worth the extra $$.

6. Fabrizo

Fabrizo New Member

Why exactly is the 20 pin mod so hard to find anyways? Is it harder to manufacture or something?

7. Mo Threat

Mo Threat New Member

I doubt any of them are manufactured anymore. I believe they're all old stock. I'm also pretty sure that they came from HK. In HK things are current or dead [try finding an old VCD or VHS tape in most Chinese videostores]. The Sat was big in HK for a while, and the models that were biggest there where the white ones. I remember lotsa HK dealers selling Saturns - guess what... ONLY the white ones. I've been told all the white Sats were 21pin - e.g. more market for 21pin modboards. By the time I was trying to find a modboard [mid 1999] for my first Sat every single HK dealer I could find had zero 20pin boards. I promptly sold my two oval Sats, and loaded up on the round boys [had four at one time - now only two :(]. Oddly enough, the guy in HK I got my 21pin boards [@$11 each] from got about ten 20pin boards [@$30 each] in stock a few months later. Sadly, the pressure from the Chinese authorities got to be too much for him, so he stopped his business - e.g. don't bother asking for his edress you 20pin people.

Anyway, in some wherehouse or storeroom, somewhere in Sham Shui Po, Kowloon HK there may be a gang of 20pin modboards. But until someone finds 'em... the 20pin kidz are pretty much TSOL.