Mortal Kombat

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
Originally posted by "Genesis cover art"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Genesis cover art")</div><div class='quotemain'>PREPARE YOURSELF... The #1 arcade hit is here: from Sub-Zero, Rayden and the rest of the Kombat Warriors to the grueling endurance and intense mirror matches! Execute bone-shattering combos and awesome finishing moves! Defeat the half-human dragon Goro, and destroy the shape-changing Shang Tsung to become the Supreme Mortal Kombat Warrior!
  • EXECUTE CAGE'S SHADOW KICK!
  • LIU KANG'S FIREBALL!
  • LET THE TOURNAMENT BEGIN!
  • FINISH HIM!
  • GORO LIVES!
  • GET OVER HERE!
  • SHATTERING!
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-"Sega CD cover art"

Prepare yourself for Mortal Kombat on Sega CD: Bigger. Better. Louder. Meaner. Incredible bone-shattering graphics, new animations and pulse-pounding sound-track give you all the flame-shooting, ice-blasting action of the #1 arcade smash! Let the tournament begin!
  • FEATURES MORTAL KOMBAT® MUSIC VIDEO
  • THE EVIL SHANG TSUNG AWAITS
  • BONE-SHATTERING
  • FINISH HIM!
  • OUTSTANDING
  • UNLEASH LIU KANG'S FLYING KICK
[/quote]

Attachments

• Mortal_Kombat_Cover.JPG
    Mortal_Kombat_Cover.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 547
  • Mortal_Kombat_SegaCD_Front.JPG
    Mortal_Kombat_SegaCD_Front.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Mortal_Kombat_SegaCD_Back.JPG
    Mortal_Kombat_SegaCD_Back.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Mortal_Kombat_Cover.JPG
    Mortal_Kombat_Cover.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Mortal_Kombat_SegaCD_Front.JPG
    Mortal_Kombat_SegaCD_Front.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Mortal_Kombat_SegaCD_Back.JPG
    Mortal_Kombat_SegaCD_Back.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 194
Heh... I'm showing my age a little bit, but I still remember 'Mortal Monday' and all the hype that surrounded it. People love to rip on the MK series these days, and justifiably so, but the first two games were quite enjoyable. I played the crap out of this conversion, which is kinda sad since its AI is terrible. Probe did a good job on capturing the gameplay of the arcade game on the Genesis version though- the SNES one always felt sluggish by comparison.

I was (and I guess still am) a big fan of the first 3 mks. This conversion was decent and I'm glad I bought it, but it could have been so much more. The AI was already mentioned (far too easy) and the sound was greatly stripped down- I wish they could have just left the sound effects mostly intact (as in the snes version), the music was adequate but not great. And the blood was watered down compared to the arcade. But the gameplay was intact, MUCH better than the snes version which was extremely sluggish (just try doing Raiden's torpedo on snes and see how long it takes). Unfortunately, the sega cd rev was no big improvement- the arcade tunes were there (in the wrong freakin' order though, god...) but the graphics and sound effects were recycled from the genny. Only a few touchups here and there and a few more frames of animation. Lazy ass Probe, they could have done so much more especially considering how looong the cd rev was delayed. But when all is said and done, sega's hardware produced the best home versions of MK1, except for the great pc port of course.

Ah, yes Mortal Kombat.

Personally, I think MK3 is the best, but the first one is great. I also loved MK4.

Call me crazy, but I think the second one was the worst of the 2D games.

I love the music of this version. The opening theme is great, as is all the music overall. God I love that YM2162 soundchip. (I'm serious. I love the crappy MegaDrive sound, hence why I would rather own multiplatform games on the MD, as opposed to the Super Famicom).

I hated Deadly Alliance, but Deception was all right. I'm actually looking forward to Armageddon later this year.

Although I expected it to be crap, Mortal Kombat Deception is the best MK game in years.Perhaps even better than the first 3.

Though I don't think MK has stood the test of time in terms of playability, I loved this game so much when it came out. I preordered it for Genesis, then went out and got a job so I could pay for it (I was 14, and went to work selling newspaper subscriptions door-to-door.) I played it everyday for months, had the poster with the fatalities hanging on my bedroom wall, (the poster you got for preordering), and just a few weeks ago found the cards and sticker I got for preordering. If I had reserved it a few days sooner I think they were giving away t-shirts as well (though I'm not sure about that). I'm sure the shirt would have gone to crap by now, but the trading cards are surprisingly well-preserved, especially considering I did nothing to preserve them. Still have good corners and everything. I wish I still had the cart. *sigh*

Back