Mpeg card with saturn games

Amiceli1983

Gear Supporter
I was wondering if the community has hacked or figured a way to use the mpeg card to be used for games that were not orginally designed for

There was quite a few saturn games that were released on other platforms with superior FMV quality.. an example the game D was released on the 3DO that used encoded mpeg
If there was a way to used the 3DO videos and patch it on the saturn version would be pretty amazing!

There's little point to that because it's only useful if you have a significantly higher quality video to create MPEG encodes of, and this already limits the benefiting games to a seriously small list. Additionally, for such games, the better video usually comes from a port in another console... so you can just play it on that console instead.

There's little point to that because it's only useful if you have a significantly higher quality video to create MPEG encodes of, and this already limits the benefiting games to a seriously small list. Additionally, for such games, the better video usually comes from a port in another console... so you can just play it on that console instead.
This is terrible advice.

There are ports that are worse on other systems, but have better videos.

I was wondering if the community has hacked or figured a way to use the mpeg card to be used for games that were not orginally designed for

There was quite a few saturn games that were released on other platforms with superior FMV quality.. an example the game D was released on the 3DO that used encoded mpeg

Nothing that I know of. Probably would start with a game like LUNAR since both an MPEG and non MPEG version exists to research how to use the the MPEG decoder

Nothing that I know of. Probably would start with a game like LUNAR since both an MPEG and non MPEG version exists to research how to use the the MPEG decoder
Yah , exactly I would think the same.. also gungriffion from japan released used mpeg while USA version did not..so that's another game to look into..
Well considering yzb figure out on using Ram cart on games that were not design for... I would assume their may be a way to used mpeg card the same way.

I can tell you that Lunar is extremely picky with the formatting of its mpeg mode 2 stream. (You cant just substitute any stream you want from a freeware tool). You might have better luck with gungriffon, or it might be just as hard-coded to accept a certain encoding.

I dont have the time to look at them, but if someone wants to compare the SSS vs SSSC video routines, i can dig up their addresses.

Last edited:
Yah , exactly I would think the same.. also gungriffion from japan released used mpeg while USA version did not..so that's another game to look into..
Well considering yzb figure out on using Ram cart on games that were not design for... I would assume their may be a way to used mpeg card the same way.
Different task. We know how the RAM cart works, and it doesn't require any special libraries. MPEG card is a completely different monster.

I can tell you that Lunar is extremely picky with the formatting of its mpeg mode 2 stream. (You cant just substitute any stream you want from a freeware tool). You might have better luck with gungriffon, or it might be just as hard-coded to accept a certain encoding.

I dont have the time to look at them, but if someone wants to compare the SSS vs SSSC video routines, i can dig up their addresses.
This is true not just for Lunar but for all custom-made Video CDs too. Many modern VCDs don't work with the Saturn MPEG card either, since they use more modern encoding. It makes sense given that the decoder binary is from 1995, way before PCs could encode VCDs in software.

However I found that later cards are more tolerant regarding this. Specifically, the Rev B ASIA card, it seems to be able to do more with problematic video cds than any other cards. It would make sense since that one has a binary dating 1998, and they'd need the compatibility for the hong kong market.

This is true not just for Lunar but for all custom-made Video CDs too. Many modern VCDs don't work with the Saturn MPEG card either, since they use more modern encoding. It makes sense given that the decoder binary is from 1995, way before PCs could encode VCDs in software.

However I found that later cards are more tolerant regarding this. Specifically, the Rev B ASIA card, it seems to be able to do more with problematic video cds than any other cards. It would make sense since that one has a binary dating 1998, and they'd need the compatibility for the hong kong market.
I would imagine the encoding wouldnt change, but other things would like formatting. Changing the encoding would bring on new mediums like SVCD or DVD.

Back