My genesis expansion cart

Here is a little fragment of my work on Genesis.

As I already said some time ago, I'm working on a expansion cart, which boots up a BIOS ROM. I managed to boot 256Kb games.

Now, I added an IDE conector, and I'm able to test read CF cards.

I created a file system, and a PC software to write to the CF.

It should support an IDE Hard Disk soon. Indeed, it used hard disk at first. But I have problems powering both the disk and Genesis, and I screwed up one system.

Also, it supports data tranfer using PC paralel port, to read carts, SRAM, and also write back SRAM, or direct write WRAM, etc... I develop another windows based program to act as server.

Anyway, preliminary info here:

Sumary and pictures:

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/co...s/proyectos.htm

Some docs:

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/co...ish/english.htm

Thats really neat.

Would be nice if you used plain text files or html for documentation instead of DOC :)

Originally posted by Pinchy+Sat, 2006-07-15 @ 01:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinchy @ Sat, 2006-07-15 @ 01:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thats really neat.

Would be nice if you used plain text files or html for documentation instead of DOC :)

[post=147047]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

Seconded on both counts.

<!--QuoteBegin-patroclus02

One of the things you can do is read and write cart's SRAM (savegames) and dump original carts (up to 2Mb ROMs so far).[/quote]The .ISO for Mask of Destiny's transfer suite has the source code for his cart dumper (which runs from Sega CD, hence using the memory map for expansion port booting), if you're interested in seeing how to dump the larger stuff. For 24MBit+SRAM (Phantasy Star IV, Beyond Oasis / The Story of Thor) you need to write a single banking register to swap SRAM in/out, and for SSF2 you have to set up a full-blown mapper chip, but it's pretty straightforward.

Hi I have been watching these forums for a while and now have joined as I feel brave enough to try some projects for myself... your has cought my eye - I would like to build this for myself I have basic electronics knowledgde and sldering skills and was wondering if you would help me build it?

Back