My ongoing PC project

racketboy

Established Member
Ok I got XP Pro up and running.

No real problems currently.

But a few concerns:

I've ran Prime95 to stress-test the box. It runs for an hour or two and then it just crashes. The system doesn't crash, just the program. I've ran it twice and it seems to do it at the same spot. No other software is running.

Also, the boot time isn't the greatest. The Intel BIOS splash screen shows up and disappears quickly, but the time between that and the XP Screen w/ the progress bar is a good 5-7 seconds or so. Not a huge deal, but I figured it would be quicker than that.

Other than that, I've been very happy with everything.

If I could get any advise on the listed concerns, I would appreciate it.

Here's my specs if it helps:

Pentium 4 2.4GHz 800Mhz Bus w/ HT enabled

1GB RAM

120GB HD w/ 8MB cache

currently has a 64MB GeForce256, but with be swapped out later w/ Matrox card

XP Pro w/ SP1

have you checked the BIOS for "quick boot" or "silent boot" or are the IDE settings set to "AUTO" to where it looks for new HD or CDROMS on boot?

Some setttings in the bios might disable "memory check/diagnostics" on boot that should speed that up.

Also, make sure the "Boot configuration" is not looking to boot from a floppy or CDROM before the HD. . . . . You can always re-enable these when you need them. If a CD is in the drive it will speed the drive up and read the CD before it boots from the HD. . . . so I would disable that all together.

You can safely disable these 3 things:

-memory check/or POST diagnostics

-IDE autosearch

- and the Boot configuration.

Originally posted by Gaz_2_k+Sep 12, 2003 @ 10:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gaz_2_k @ Sep 12, 2003 @ 10:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Sep 12, 2003 @ 10:14 PM

ok cool -- thanks

I'll check those out.

How bout the Prime95 thing?

Any other testing I should do?

got your hands on SiSoft Sandra yet?

Give's you free performance improving tips too! ;) [/b][/quote]

you don't have to pay for it (register it)?

what version should I use?

Originally posted by racketboy+Sep 12, 2003 @ 05:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Sep 12, 2003 @ 05:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Gaz_2_k@Sep 12, 2003 @ 10:30 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-racketboy
@Sep 12, 2003 @ 10:14 PM

ok cool -- thanks

I'll check those out.

How bout the Prime95 thing?

Any other testing I should do?

got your hands on SiSoft Sandra yet?

Give's you free performance improving tips too! ;)

you don't have to pay for it (register it)?

what version should I use? [/b][/quote]

You can get the non-pro version. It has a burn in wizard that can really stress your pc. Plus it's bechmarking tools let you compare your pc to other of the same hardware to see how well you're doing. It's one of the highest recommended benchmarks/stress test programs out there.

Also for the 3D stuff try 3DMark2001 and PCMark2001. The scores and their online browser can give you an idea how well your pc is doing compared to others of the same "level".

Back