my story

i love video games. i could go on hours talking about how much i love them. my love for games started at a young age. the first instance of wanting to play a game that i can remember is when i was 3 years old. my dad had a gameboy and my parents had a side job (catering until the hours of the night) my dad had played dr. mario alot earlier that day, and i woke up when my mom was getting home (i had a babysitter and my dad had to stay and clean up, they let my mom go home) my mom had been catering a party and the people were nice and gave her an educational toy for me. she gave it to me and i said that i didnt want to play it, but i wanted to play some gameboy dr. mario instead. she let me. pretty soon i was playing batman, mario bros, tetris, paperboy, and dr. mario nonstop. my babysitter (who was also my cousin) gave me a NES with 50 games a few weeks later (this was in 1994, this was a huge ass deal, hell, it still is today to get that much for free.) i played all the time. my uncle loved it so much (he had a NES with mario/duckhunt and joust, but that was it.) that he moved in. i would wake up around 4 am every saturday and play contra with him. i loved that NES. around the age of 7, my 2 other cousins came in from las vegas, and there mom brought me 2 NES systems, 10+ controllers, loads of accesories, R.O.B. and a garbage bag of well over 100 NES games. right around this time my uncle moved out, but he left his NES and sega genesis here (i didnt even know he left them here until he told me last year, i found them after a 3 hour search through the basement and then the attic, both of them work like crap, but i did get joust, and mario bros and duckhunt, and for genesis road rash and sega 6 pack.) i had no room for about half of the games i had and proudly gave all of my doubles (25 games) to goodwill, knowing that "someone that didnt have enough money to buy games would get them" well, about 2 years after that i had a nintendo 64. i saw the game kirby: crystal shards on TV and wanted it badly. i then had a rummage sale and sold everything NES related i had for $65 total :damn: . it would have been $75, except with in ten minutes 2 really nerdy looking kids walked by <_<

Nerd 1: your selling all of this?

me: yep

Nerd 2:how much for stack-up? does it have all the peices?

me: it does (points at a sign that says EVERYTHING MUST GO EVERYTHING $75

(both laugh hysterically)

nerd 1:we have $65 together, we will take the whole lot from you for that much.

me: DEAL!!!

one of them went and got his mom, and she drove her car over. i dont think those 2 kids could fit in the back seat there was so much crap back there. i bought kirby and the guide for it. i did though quickly snatch my gold zelda game though before they left and they didnt notice. my cousin (another one, this is my last one) lived in my house for a while, when he left i was 11. he gave me a box full aof sega genesis sports games that i still have, and a box full of N64 boxes. i stupidly through away the 24 boxes with foam inserts and instructions of all but 2 games i had. later that year, a "friend" borrowed my gold zelda game and sold it to eb games. i told a different friend (who is a real friend and tried to convince me not to sell my NES stuff back then) then told me that he had took 3 NES games for me that i liked and was going to give them back to me when i had realized that the NES was cool. (they were the turtles games) and he gave them back. now, as i start to collect again, i realize i was an idiot. i now try to slowly regain back my collection.

alright, go a head flame me to hell while sharing your stories.

well i think everyone here has sold stuff in the pastl,i sold my genesis 32x collection to buy a saturn when they came out and a few games had atleast 200 genny/32x games and the model 1 genesis 32x cd kicked my self in the ass for yrs till i got it all back and now im still missing a few games :(

well it sucks for me because i had a collection of probly about 175 NES games, add the gameboy and n64 games of about 190. my current collection is about 150. :(

Heh... I'm a packrat. The only games I've ever sold were doubles or sports games. The only exception to this is that I sold my 32X a ways back because the only game I had for it was football and I needed some quick cash. I still haven't found a replacement for it, but I'll find one eventualy. (I have found some at flea markets, but the owner is usualy asking too much for them.)

Bills suck. I never sold any of my games until the last few years in order to pay bills. Ended up selling a N64, NGPC, N64, PSX (modded), and a Goldstar 3DO, including many many games for each. I also the sold the better part of my collection for other systems as well, including games like Panzer Dragoon Saga ($100 to a friend from these boards). It really sucks, as I sold many games I loved. But I don't have time to play almost any games for quite a long time now, so I doesn't matter much anyway. For example I got wind waker a few years ago, I just beat the first boss a month or so ago due to lack of time.

Originally posted by dibz@Mon, 2006-07-10 @ 10:06 PM

Bills suck. I never sold any of my games until the last few years in order to pay bills. Ended up selling a N64, NGPC, N64, PSX (modded), and a Goldstar 3DO, including many many games for each. I also the sold the better part of my collection for other systems as well, including games like Panzer Dragoon Saga ($100 to a friend from these boards). It really sucks, as I sold many games I loved. But I don't have time to play almost any games for quite a long time now, so I doesn't matter much anyway. For example I got wind waker a few years ago, I just beat the first boss a month or so ago due to lack of time.

[post=146979]Quoted post[/post]​

that is the only thing that i fear about collecting, having to sell everything for bills some day. people that use DP might know about cmosfm, who, sadly had to sell his collection of 3,700 games plus tons of merchandise for bills. he was selling %95 of his collection. he said that as soon as he sold it all though, and got some money, he would start collecting again.

it must be like dying and starting a new life.

More like starting a new life and realizing you can't live two. Unfortunately marriage + mortgages + loans + kids cost quite a bit of money and time. Since video games require both money and time, obviously one had to go. I kept mostly games that both me and my wife play and only the pick up and play ones that can be dropped at any moment.

Back