Napple tales:arisa in daydream

alright. Does anyone know where I can get this game from? I mean what on-line import store has this at a decent price? I hope someone can help me with this.

Yes, I've played it. It's... interesting. I have no clue where to find it though... if you like 3d platformers, it's not bad. It's heavily laden with Kanji, though.

Originally posted by Ragnorokk@May 10 2002,20:34

Yes, I've played it. It's... interesting. I have no clue where to find it though... if you like 3d platformers, it's not bad. It's heavily laden with Kanji, though.

What's kanji?

Kanji is the name of the japanese ideographic alphabet, consisting of about 10,000 (is this correct?) ideograms borrowed from the chinese alphabet.

Unlike hiragana and katakana, the two phonetic alphabets in the japanese language, kanjis do not usually have a unique pronunciation (on indeed a transliteration to a string of hiragana). It is very common for a kanji to have 3 or 4 different readings, making for an alphabet you cannot learn overnight (unless you have one of those VR teaching machines in SF movies where you learn an encyclopaedia by heart in a matter of minutes).

Identifying and remembering kanjis is in fact the biggest obstacle for a western native speaker when learning japanese.

Hope this gives an idea. ???

Originally posted by KiT@June 27 2002, 5:12 pm

Kanji is the name of the japanese ideographic alphabet, consisting of about 10,000 (is this correct?) ideograms borrowed from the chinese alphabet.

Funny, I had thought they were stolen (i.e., pirated) from the Chinese written language
biggrin.gif

AFAIK, the literal meaning for kanji ("hanzi" in Chinese), as shown from the kanjis below, is Chinese character. The first character "han" (traditional form BTW) is used to mean Chinese as the majority of Chinese people are of Han origin and speak the Han language know as "hanyu" (i.e., Mandarin, national spoken language, the common speech).

Originally posted by KiT@June 27 2002, 5:12 pm

Identifying and remembering kanjis is in fact the biggest obstacle for a western native speaker when learning japanese.

That's right. Learning kanji is pure memorization. This reminds me of the very last episode of Star Trek Voyager where Captain Janeway of the future has a tiny chip implanted somewhere in her brain which enables her to know how to perform many different skills (such as piloting a ship) and also expands her memory capacity(?).

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata+Nov. 06 2002, 7:45 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MasterAkumaMatata @ Nov. 06 2002, 7:45 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KiT@June 27 2002, 5:12 pm

Funny, I had thought they were stolen (i.e., pirated) from the Chinese written language
biggrin.gif
.[/b][/quote]

"Backups of", surely?

Back