Need help with stuff...

You're not going to find japanese text like you think you will. It's normally stored in hex and 2 bytes = 1 japanese character unlike 1 byte = 1 english character So thats why its so hard to find. though, i recommend using transhexlation or search2ru or something like that.

Originally posted by RadSil@Jul 29, 2001 @ 12:02 PM

Oh, yeah, does anyone have a tool that can build an ISO image with a specific file order...?

Yes, there is such a tool (tools for that matter b/c it's the use of a combination of tools) to do that. I've mentioned those tools on a previous thread. You probably have some of those tools already. If you want it, I can email you the tools you might not have, along with instructions.

SkankinMonkey:  Thanks for enlightening me there.  I am not a stranger to hex, but I'm still going to have a bit of trouble, I can tell.

CyberWarriorX:  Thanks for the tip.  Now, to find the font, and how to change it?  If you could give me an educated guess on how many BPP the font would be stored as, I would be grateful
smile.gif

MasterAkumaMatata:  I can get/build mkisofs by myself, I can get ISOBuster, but I need F2S.EXE.  If you could send it my way at radsil@crackdealer[dot]com (you found me out, I'm really a crack dealer...) that would be great, and I would be thankful for the service, blah blah blah.
smile.gif

As an offside:

In my wide and varied, um, "research" of all things Saturn, I was inspecting different games and found out that the US version of Magic Knight Rayearth stores its text as PLAIN ASCII.  Anyone up for a parody patch?  Heh, heh.  My friend Nick says MKR has a good hentai-ability factor.
wink.gif

hmm, that might be a good idea, e-mail me about it if you want and we can work on a script for it hehehe. havent really done much since everyone got disinterested in the snatcher translation, but it would be fun to mess around with MKR.

Radsil: Most font is stored in 1bpp. Size-wise.... usually 8x8, 16x16, and if you're really unlucky, somewhere in between the two. The best method for searching text, is get a program like tilemod, open up the suspected file where the text may be in, and just scroll through(make certain you try all the sizes available).

SkankinMo: Doesn't help that interest in saturn isn't as high as it used to be either. Heh, who knows, maybe with our translations, we'll spark some more interest again.

Cyber Warrior X

SkankinMonkey:  Tried hacking and patching MKR the other day, (I just used cdmage's insert file function) and it works great, but for some reason the first time I loaded it up, the script must have not run correctly, because Hikaru couldn't jump or talk to anybody.  I soft reset and tried again and it worked fine.  I really wish I had a capture card or something.  Anyway, the patch is really stupid
smile.gif
 It covers the Tokyo Tower area.  If you're interested in trying yourself, all the text is in the *.msg files in the STAGE** subdirectories (not all have text).  Make sure to watch for the returns so you don't  overwrite them.  I forget what hex they are but it is the '}' ASCII character.

CyberWarriorX:  Thanks again.  Guess all I can do from here is look for the font, huh?

It's OK, I'm not a demanding individual or anything.  You could have sent it to me next week and I wouldn't have been annoyed.
smile.gif
 Thanks.

Well, I wouldn't be the person to ask, but I am using everything from Tilemod to Tlayer and every other friggin' tile utility in existance, even though most of them do the same thing. And I haven't found anything.

Another question: is there any hex editor that supports display of S-JIS, EUC-JIS, or unicode two byte characters?

shiningfan: The best IMHO is probably either naga or tilemod. But use what's best for you.

Radsil: I had the same problem when I tried doing some hacking on a couple other games I looked at(Langrisser 1&2 psx & Langrisser IV). I know exactly where the font is in both games, but I can't figure out how to get tilemod, etc. to display the font properly. I do remember reading though at one time that oddball sizes(like 12x10) are stored a bit different.

I thought I remember seeing a unicode editor at one time. Your best bet is to generate a .tbl file and do a script dump with thingy, or whatever.

Cyber Warrior X

Well, just from looking at the Japanese characters on screen, I know they are bigger than 8x8, probably 16x16. They are probably only 1bpp though, they aren't shaded or anything.

The only text (already in English) I was able to find was in the 'BATLE' subdir, and it is in a file that is a stub program for battle system debugging. Nothing worth changing.

As far as script dumping, I've read a lot about it, but I just have no idea how to do it. Everything is very vague.

Granted that you probably won't be able to do much w/o finding the font in a game, finding the font is by no means required to extract/edit a game's script. I usually make my table file (corresponding of bytes to characters) by doing relative searches. Though relative searching can be a bit tricky with japanese text since they may organize things a little differently like grouping the characters with the little circle or little quotation mark (heh, dont know how to spell the real names). So if you are going to try a word for relative searching try to choose one with all letters that are hirigana or all katakana. It probably would help you a lot to read a general text hacking doc at a place like donut.parodius.com or rpgd.emulationworld.com the basics of text replacement is the same on any system.

About viewing jis or euc in a hex editor, i think the latest ver of transhexltion can do it, but im not sure, i have used njwin, from www.njstar.com, in the past. It will make jis, euc or other languages appear in any program if the text is encoded that way if its running in the background. It also works with dos stuff too like thingy which boggles my mind.

All right. I'm a patient guy, but I'm about to rip all of the hair out of my head! I can't find the #### font!!! I'm beginning to think there might be some weird compression or something on it... a lot of files with the extension 'STB' have the label 'ST5' in the file a lot, making me think that STBs are packfiles with lots of smaller data (textures, fonts, dings, icons, text). This would make sense, as it could potentially save a lot of space on disc, due to sector sizes. Even so, I can't find the font and am getting very frustrated. It would seriously piss me off if I had to cancel the project because of something so stupid. How many cancelled projects have you seen that have been cancelled because the translator couldn't find the font?

Anyone else here have a copy of PSX or Saturn Grandia and want to be a part of the project? More people means faster progress. I am in desperate need of a copy of PSX Grandia to work from.

Drewbacca:  I've already tried the Japanese text editor by NJStar... I started using it early, thinking that I could maybe strike something easy to edit.  Unfortunately, all I get with every file I've tried is random kanji (just coincidental)... not even hiragana for some reason.  Maybe NJwin will help me out... it works with DOS stuff too?  Wicked
smile.gif

I'm beginning to think that all the stuff is stored in packfiles - not good, that involves figuring out how to decompress the packfiles.

Back