Needed Instructions for Burning on a Mac

How do you properly burn Sega Saturn games on a Mac using Toast 4.1 and 5.0 (two different interfaces). I haven't seen any info for Mac's on this site at all. Is this place anti-mac or something, in a way Apple Mac and Sega Saturn are similar, both sleek and under rated.

uhm, no. noone here has a mac, so how the heck would we write tutorials for software most of us never even saw?

In Toast 5:

Choose Other, then Disc Image. Drop your ISO into Toast. Now click on Audio. Go and drop the audio tracks in there (if they're wavs convert them to aiff's - Toast won't burn wavs.) Then click on Other again. Click on the record button while holding down Option on your keyboard. It'll ask you if you wanna burn it as a mixed image (or something like that - I can't remember exactly what at the moment.) Click on yes. Then write as disc. Voila.

just remember to use virtual pc (3.0 or 4.0) in conjuction with a shared folder and satconv to check the country code before you burn. otherwise, mookie's instructions are correct.

oh, since you mentioned toast 4 (i used to use toast 4 before 5 came out)

• goto disc image
  • goto format->audio tracks
  • drag and drop saturn iso
  • drag and drop audio tracks where it says "audio"
  • burn as disc

now, if you want to do bin/cue's, you can do it one of two ways based on the number of audio tracks.

• if the cue file for the bin reports one audio track, simply drag and drop the disc image only into toast5/toast4 as a disc image, and click "ok" to confirm it's a disc image, at 2048 bytes/sector. burn that off as a disc, and it should be fine.
  • if it has more than one audio track, get ahold of the mac port of binchunker and run that on the bin/cue. you'll need the dos prog "sox" and virtual pc (3.0 or 4.0) to get the .cdr's that binchunker produces for the audio tracks to convert it into aiff's. soundapp wont covert them unfortunately, neither will quicktime4. burn it as a iso/mp3 when you get the cdr's converted to aif's. you could just burn the iso file that results from binchunker, but you'll have no audio tracks.

(Edited by lockecole2 at 8:50 pm on Nov. 2, 2001)

I've yet to have any luck with Binchunker and Saturn games. I've been using Fireburner in VPC to binchunk, and it works swell. Gives ya an ISO and a wav, so all y'gotta do is use satconv and SoundApp to convert the wavs into aiffs and you're all ready to go.

Why do you use a mac? I have had tons of experience with them and never liked them even nearly as much as windows. They are good comps, but they run next to nothing due to them not being as popular of system as windows based ones. This is shown here by you having to use a program that most people have never heard of, when Win users have more tools at their disposal then you can shake a stick at (Wonder where I heard that expression before...hmmm...).

Just because windows is more popular, doesn't mean a thing. How about putting linux on your box? Fireburner has a linux port :) I like linux more anyway.. hehe

Windows being popular DOES mean a thing, it means that more software will be made for it then other computers. This is a fact that can be proven many times over.

I use my Mac primarily for artsy fartsy stuff and it suits me perfectly. Less time spent tearing my hair out over technical problems, more time spent getting actual work done. I used a PC for about 7 years, and from day 1 I was fighting against a machine that seemed to be hellbent on driving me mad.

Windows may have 1,000,000 x the apps that the Mac does, but I don't need most of them. Pretty much every big PC app has a Mac equivalent. For the little things (like, say, satconv) I can just use Virtual PC. The only thing I miss out on is games, which is fine with me. I dislike PC style gaming.

I know what you mean.

When I was much younger then I am now, I hated PC's, they never seamed to want to work right. They would crash, freez, go to the blue screen of death, have fatal errors, cause illegal operations, and so many other things that I had no idea how to deal with as a little kid. Back then all I wanted them for was to play games, but I figured that anything I could get from a PC, I could get from a console, with better grafx and much fewer problems. These days thats still very true, computers are still bug filled things. but about four years ago I started to like computers, due to the, new at the time, internet. I was using a computer with a monitor that was completly worn out which projected a picture I could barly make out, an A: drive that was contantly readsing itself for no reason, no sound, videos that could only be viewed through their properties menues, and a 28k modem. I used that computer for 2 years, and even though it was pure #### to use, and I basicly spent 99% of the time I was on it fixing things, it did teach me hgow to tame if the the worst of computers. My computer I use now runs flawlessly, despite the fact that It is using windows and is over 2 years old.

Windows is a good operating system, its just very difficult to learn how to use without destroying in the process.

Thanks for replying about this. I forgot to add something in my initial request, I forgot to ask how do you rip Saturn games on a Mac with Toast, I known perfectly how to do so for Psx games (who doesn't?+), that's what I REALLY want to know. And can the guys who answered my questions (Mookie and I think Tails and whoever else) email me (nobleq@hotmail.com) more detailed instructions about MAC SS BURNING & RIPPING (if you know the ripping part that is). As far as what's better Mac or Win, I have been a loyal Mac users but after spending so much time with my friend using his PC and seeing what it can do that Mac's can't, I have to say that Windows is Better than Macs, but that doesn't mean that Mac sucks at all. It's like Dave Letterman coming in second against Jay Leno, you know what I mean?

Quote: from Noble on 1:51 pm on Nov. 9, 2001

Thanks for replying about this. I forgot to add something in my initial request, I forgot to ask how do you rip Saturn games on a Mac with Toast, I known perfectly how to do so for Psx games (who doesn't?+), that's what I REALLY want to know. And can the guys who answered my questions (Mookie and I think Tails and whoever else) email me (nobleq@hotmail.com) more detailed instructions about MAC SS BURNING & RIPPING (if you know the ripping part that is). As far as what's better Mac or Win, I have been a loyal Mac users but after spending so much time with my friend using his PC and seeing what it can do that Mac's can't, I have to say that Windows is Better than Macs, but that doesn't mean that Mac sucks at all. It's like Dave Letterman coming in second against Jay Leno, you know what I mean?

you cant use toast if you want to upload a saturn image, you need to find a warez copy of "astarte cd-copy", since the company was bought by apple and isn't offering this great product anymore. search on hotline for it, or ask me and i'll give it to you.

if you want to rip a saturn image for yourself, but not for pc folks, then just use toast in the "cd copy" function.

oh yeah, if you look above, you'll see that my name isn't tails, (thats my member title), but my username is "lockecole2" (play ffvi)

(Edited by lockecole2 at 3:47 pm on Nov. 9, 2001)

I do have CD Copy 2.(something, the latest version I believe) and Toast 4.1 & 5.0.1 (Deluxe/Titanium) and even Binchunker. I guess I have all the tools to burn and rip a SS CD but I don't know clearly the process. I want to find out so that I can rip my games and burn them so I have backups ups. I have some good ones like MSH, MSHvSF, XMvSF, SFA, SFTM, VampS, DX, CYBERBOTS, D, MYST, XMEN, VirtCop. HOTD, MYST, SFColl and think they are worth backing up. Plus I would possibly like to provide images or ISOs on a server if requested. And even write up a tutorial that this site could use. So can you guys be specific in the various procedures. Or maybe you guys should write up a tutorial for this topic.

Quote: from Noble on 4:26 pm on Nov. 9, 2001

I do have CD Copy 2.(something, the latest version I believe) and Toast 4.1 & 5.0.1 (Deluxe/Titanium) and even Binchunker. I guess I have all the tools to burn and rip a SS CD but I don't know clearly the process. I want to find out so that I can rip my games and burn them so I have backups ups. I have some good ones like MSH, MSHvSF, XMvSF, SFA, SFTM, VampS, DX, CYBERBOTS, D, MYST, XMEN, VirtCop. HOTD, MYST, SFColl and think they are worth backing up. Plus I would possibly like to provide images or ISOs on a server if requested. And even write up a tutorial that this site could use. So can you guys be specific in the various procedures. Or maybe you guys should write up a tutorial for this topic.

SFTM (Street Fighter : The Movie?)

anyway, since you asked, i'll write you up one :

• start up astarte cd-copy
  • insert saturn game into your internal cd/dvd drive, you cant use external ones
  • assuming your disc isnt too scratched up, if at all, many things should appear once the cd is read. (i'd make a pic but my dvd-rom drive on my g3 is busted)
  • one of the items should be an "iso 9660" track, with audio tracks underneath. select them all and go to "file->save"
  • let the program copy the data and audio. if you get a disc error, clean your cd or go to file->preferences and select "ignore read errors" or something similar.
  • then burn if you're making your own backup

however, if you're gonna upload, continue reading
  • once you have your iso/audio tracks (in AIFF format), use an mp3 encoder to encode the audio tracks.
  • get macrar, and compress the iso and mp3s together, then upload where ever you want.

hope this helps

Macs are superior. end of story (there's just no Half-Life :( there's Quake 2 and Starcraft, my top two favorite PC games, but no Half-Life :()

both pc's and macs are good, just they are suited to different purposes, pc's are good for a large variety of games for example, whereas macs are eaiser for people to just switch on and use, espically when they are being used in a design type environment

Macs have actual plug and play capabilities, um although it is a myth that Macs dont freeze, the fact is they freeze and err 90% less than Windows based computers. They are easy to fix becasue if something goes wrong the computer BLATANTLY tells you whats wrong (Missing Extension and what extension), not like Windows errors (Error Line 000098 00057668 crap), Every GOOD program is on Mac, or at least has its version. If you dont think their are lots of apps for Mac, go to www.versiontracker.com go to Mac OS and type in an app you would like to find, most of them are free. Popularity means nothing, Just because N'Sync sells tons of records doesnt mean they are good.

Back