Neo Geo Clones

I took this from a faq at game cheats :

http://www.cheatsearch.com/SNK_Neo_Geo/unp...eats_05341.HTML

1.Bouriki One

2.Fatal Fury

3.Samurai Shodown 64 (first 3D fighting effort, good quality, 15/20)

4.Samurai Shodown 64 II (the effort really shows on this game, well done, 18/20)

DRIVING:

5.Off Beat Racer (weird racer, good quality, above average, 15/20)

6.Road's Edge (first effort, okay game, but not up to par, 13/20)

7.Xtreme Rally (great game, has the feel of a driving game, 18/20)

GUN-Based:

8.Beast Busters:Second Nightmare (even more grisly than House of the Dead, excellent, 19/20)

heres ngh64 specs from klov.com :

Technical

CPU: 64-bit RISC Chip with 4Mb RAM and 64Mb Program Memory, built locally near CPU

Colors: 16.7 million maximum (4,096 simultaneous)

3D Branch: Vertex Memory-96Mb, Texture Memory-16Mb (maximum)

2D Sprite Branch: 60 frames per second animation Character Memory-128Mb Scaling, montage, chain, mosaic, mesh, action, up/down, right/left reverse

2D Scrolling Branch: Number of Game Planes--4 Character Memory-64Mb Scaling, revolution, morphing; horizontal/vertical screen partitioning and line scrolling

Sound: 32 Channels Maximum Sampling Frequency--44.1 KHz Wavetable RAM--32Mb

N64- specs from game dude :

CPU: MIPS 64-bit RISC CPU (customized R4000 series)

CLOCK SPEED: 93.75 MHz

CO-PROCESSOR: 64-bit RISC processor running at 62.5 MHz

RCP SP (Sound and Graphics Processor)

and DP ( Pixel Drawing Processor)

MEMORY: Rambus D-RAM 36 Mbits

TRANSFER SPEED: Maximum transfer speed 4,500 M bits/sec.

running at 500Mhz.

RESOLUTION: 256 X 224 - 640 X 480 dots with flicker free

interlace mode support

COLOR: Maximum: 16.8 million colors, 32-Bit RGBA

Pixel Color Frames Buffer Support

& 21-Bit color video output

out of a 16.8 million color palette it can

display 32,000 on screen colors at once

VIDEO OUTPUT: RF, RGB, and HDTV compatible

AUDIO: Stereo 16-bit/64 PCM channels sampled at 44.1 kHz

BENCHMARK PERFORMANCE: Main CPU clocked at 125 MIPS (millions

of instructions per second)

Graphics Co-Processor clocked at

100+ MFLOPS (millions of floating point

operations per second)100,000 polygons per second,

with all hardware graphic features turned on.

I wonder why they didn't port any AES/MVS to the N64... that would rock! Basically it would require NO cutting of gfx/sound because of memory limitations. Sheesh, the Saturn had only max. 8 megs of memory (6mb main + 1.5mb vram + 512k sound), the PSX a paltry 3.5 whereas the N64 has 4 or 8 AND the entire cartridge (up to 64mb carts where made), just like the cart-based Neo Geo systems... a perfect metal slug conversion on the N64, I still dream about it...

forget making a new neo imo playmore should release rage of the dragons and other new games on the dc, I am glad they r releasing Kof 2002 on there finally.

Originally posted by AntiPasta@Jan 10, 2003 @ 07:17 PM

I wonder why they didn't port any AES/MVS to the N64... that would rock! Basically it would require NO cutting of gfx/sound because of memory limitations. Sheesh, the Saturn had only max. 8 megs of memory (6mb main + 1.5mb vram + 512k sound), the PSX a paltry 3.5 whereas the N64 has 4 or 8 AND the entire cartridge (up to 64mb carts where made), just like the cart-based Neo Geo systems... a perfect metal slug conversion on the N64, I still dream about it...

Seriously, they could make some serious cash if they did some more DC ports

*cough* METAL SLUG COLLECTION *cough*

it helps sales when you are the only remaining publisher (a good one too) for a system with a decent cult following

There's a number of excellent titles that would be yummy on the DC

I'm glad SNK is pretty near the last DC publisher. It would suck for the last DC game to be some pile of shit dating sim/AVG.

i wish they wuld make metal slug onlline with deathmatch

I think that would kind of go against the "one-man-army suicide mission" aesthetics of Metal Slug's gameplay. Cooperative netplay and a level editor (let's face it; since Slug 2, 90% of the changes have been the new level layouts) would kick ass though.

I would think making a new neo geo cd game would be easier than getting a new AES game made. All you need is someone that has a dev kit and programming knowledge and some good artists and programmers.

Maybe some of us should just try making a demo game or something running neo geo hardware. Maybe give the idea to playmore and have them publish it.

I can't imagine the neo being too difficult compared to the sega saturn. I guess getting the documentation and software would be the hardest part.

Kyosuke75

could you make your own neo cd game with an emulator (not with but with info you get from it) and then burn the cd? Also I dunno know if you guys are familiar with the "Gamestation" but is a supernintendo that reads cd's with software dumps could that be made for a neo geo? An AES with a cd drive that reads dumps?

I don't know zip about the Neo Geo's memory map, but technically it would be possible if the games would be under 7 megabytes in size (as the NGCD has 7 megs of ram)

More specifically, it would have to be:

Graphics ROM ("C"): 4MB

Program ROM ("P"): 2MB

Sound sample ROM ("V"): 1MB

(NGCD can accomodate the standard sizes for "M" and "S" ROMs)

A few other changes need to be made also, as the NGCD and Neo-Geo have a few things wired differently. The key differences I can recall are that a couple interrupt routines need to have their vector/acknowledge swapped, and the graphics ROMs need to be converted to NGCD bit order.

I think the 512 mb ram, would be ideal it would be more than ample, I would like to find out how the gamestation was made in order to better understand how this would be done.

I think the 512 mb ram, would be ideal it would be more than ample, I would like to find out how the gamestation was made in order to better understand how this would be done.

The Gamestation is probably not much more than an SNES clone combined with hardware similar to a copier unit; i.e. there's an SNES core with a BIOS that loads games from CD-ROM into DRAM, then switches an internal mapper to write protect the DRAM and hide the CD interface and jumps to the game's entry point. In fact, NGCD itself isn't radically different from this; from an overall design standpoint it's basically a Neo Geo with a built-in ROM emulator. The difference between the Neo Geo architecture and most other cartridge systems is that each part of the system gets its own ROM bank on the cart (there are 5 - 68000 program, sprite tiles, foreground/status tiles, Z80 program, and sound samples) My recommendation for an improved version would be something that handles the largest Neo cart map, something like:

8MB (64Mb) 68K RAM

64MB (512Mb) sprite RAM

16MB (128Mb) sound sample RAM

256K (2Mb) fix tile RAM

256K (2Mb) Z80 RAM

Incidentally, I misread your earlier post as being about Neo -> NGCD porting. If you're interested in NG/NGCD development, info, basic sources, and a few tools can be found at Charles Doty's Arcadedev...

how does the Neo Geo address all this memory? As far as I know the 68000 only has a 16mbyte address space (prolly the only cart-based system in all eternity that has games bigger than it's memory space
biggrin.gif
) (not counting the 8 bit ones of course
blush.gif
)

Originally posted by AntiPasta@May 22, 2003 @ 05:32 PM

how does the Neo Geo address all this memory? As far as I know the 68000 only has a 16mbyte address space (prolly the only cart-based system in all eternity that has games bigger than it's memory space
biggrin.gif
)

SFC Tales of Phantasia.

6MB. It uses a 4MB HiROM and a 2MB LoROM. The formati s often called Extended HiROM. There are other games to use this kind of structure too (about 7 total ont he system) but Tales of Phantasia is the most famous.

It uses a 4MB HiROM and a 2MB LoROM. The formati s often called Extended HiROM.

Do you know where I could find out more about how this mapping works? I'm slightly familiar with SNES cart addressing but lack the first damn clue as to how a HiROM/LoROM combination can be made to function properly.

how does the Neo Geo address all this memory? As far as I know the 68000 only has a 16mbyte address space

Neo Geo has a standard mapping mechanism for mapping the 68000 program ROM into the first 2MB of the 68000 address space. The 68K doesn't touch the rest of the ROM. As for systems with carts bigger than their logical address space, they're actually exceedingly common. For instance, the vast majority of NES and Game Boy games are larger than the address space on their respective systems. This works by putting a piece of hardware in the cart (or in the system, as Neo Geo does) that configurably controls the high address lines, so that it's possible to shuffle the physical and logical address spaces around to access the data that needs to be accessed.

Back