New 3d saturn game

Daniel: I took a look at your picture, it's not bad. Please change the size of the picture to 320x240, and erase everything below the logo. I'll try to manually print the options over the picture, I have no clue how that'll work though. And yes I'd like to implement the animated balloon for the menu.

Nescphp: No one lost interest. The first milestone was set for two weeks :p Also, how do I display pictures on the Saturn? Never done it before.

Antipasta: I hope I won't need any asm code, it's a fairly old game, and the saturn should be able to handle it in C. But I'll definitely ask for help when I need it.

Here is a little messy source that contains picture dispaly.

Antipasta: I hope I won't need any asm code, it's a fairly old game, and the saturn should be able to handle it in C. But I'll definitely ask for help when I need it.

It's always interesting to know someone who have skills on ASM. I would need them for emus.

:D Slinga its simple if you want i can make simple functions out of it so you can just do it like:

Code:
slTVOff();

EP_Nbg1(cel_bg,map_bg,pal_bg);

slTVOn();

i'll certanly help out!!!!!!

just PM me or PM on iRC for any suggestion or anything i can do ... :blink:

enjoy:

Code:
#ifndef DMA_COPY__

#define DMA_COPY__

#include	<sgl.h>

#define _____CEL_ADR	(VDP2_VRAM_A0)

#define _____MAP_ADR	(VDP2_VRAM_B0)

#define _____COL_ADR	(VDP2_COLRAM)

#define NBG1_CEL_ADR	(VDP2_VRAM_B1+0x02000)

#define NBG1_MAP_ADR	(VDP2_VRAM_B1+0x12000)

#define DMA_S2D_CELSIZE(__x) 	((__x))

#define DMA_S2D_MAPSIZE(__x,__y,__z)	((__x)*(__y)*(__z))

#define DMA_S2D_PALSIZE(__x) 	((__z))

int EpDMACopiedNbg1(void *__cel,Uint16 *__map,Uint16 *__pal,void *__x,void *__y,void *__z)

{

slCharNbg1((COL_TYPE_256),(CHAR_SIZE_2x2));

slPageNbg1((void*)(_____CEL_ADR),(0),(PNB_1WORD));

slPlaneNbg1((PL_SIZE_1x1));

slMapNbg1((void*)(_____MAP_ADR),(void*)(_____MAP_ADR),(void*)(_____MAP_ADR),(void*)(_____MAP_ADR));

slDMACopy((void*)(__cel),(void*)(_____CEL_ADR),(Uint32)(DMA_S2D_CELSIZE(__x));

slDMACopy((void*)(__map),(void*)(_____MAP_ADR),(Uint32)(DMA_S2D_MAPSIZE(__y));

slDMACopy((void*)(__pal),(void*)(_____COL_ADR),(Uint32)(DMA_S2D_PALSIZE(__z));

}

int EpDMACopiedNbg2(void *__cel,Uint16 *__map,Uint16 *__pal,void *__x,void *__y,void *__z)

{

slCharNbg2((COL_TYPE_256),(CHAR_SIZE_2x2));

slPageNbg2((void*)(_____CEL_ADR),(0),(PNB_1WORD));

slPlaneNbg2((PL_SIZE_1x1));

slMapNbg2((void*)(_____MAP_ADR),(void*)(_____MAP_ADR),(void*)(_____MAP_ADR),(void*)(_____MAP_ADR));

}

int EpDMACopiedNbg1(void *__cel,Uint16 *__map,Uint16 *__pal,void *__x,void *__y,void *__z)

{

slCharNbg3((COL_TYPE_256),(CHAR_SIZE_2x2));

slPageNbg3((void*)(_____CEL_ADR),(0),(PNB_1WORD));

slPlaneNbg3((PL_SIZE_1x1));

slMapNbg3((void*)(_____MAP_ADR),(void*)(_____MAP_ADR),(void*)(_____MAP_ADR),(void*)(_____MAP_ADR));

}

#undef

#endif

please check for typos, if you guys need an example just ask:

Code:
epDMACopiedNbg1((Uin16*)(bg_cel),(Uint16*)(bg_map),(Uint16*)(bg_pal),(111616L),(1*1*4096L),(512L));

:cheers

ok my third post, im on a rampage! ;) ok! i don't think its a good idea to just rip sprites from the original one... why wont we just either A) find a gfx artist. to get one we can have a moderator post news asking for one or B) choose another game... i had an idea for 3d world runner (we just use RGB0, make it flat put a sprite and use DMA to make it tile-based (longer levels) we probably do this in like 3 hours with a little help with everyone) :blink:

update:

BTW, for those of you dont know 3d world runner is for NES... try it out -- one of my favorite games for NES :ph34r:

if we get actually far to create this game maybe Reinhart can implement sound :D like i said, we need to remake the art, daniel thats where you come in :D sprites in 256 colors... the screen resolution is probably going to be 640x480 ... slow but it gives us space to put more animations

About slinga's project: I also think the sprites and background should not just be ripped; but when the game will be finished, it will be easy for anyone to change it.

Nescphp: can you give a link to some 3d world runner screenshots ?

Code:
epDMACopiedNbg1((Uin16*)(bg_cel),(Uint16*)(bg_map),(Uint16*)(bg_pal),(111616L),(1*1*4096L),(512L));

what is 4096L ? and 512L ?

Holy crap.

Sensory overload.

Recommend some docs to read, I have no idea about any of the above code.

And I'll take a look at your code Necsphp, thanks for your feedback guys!

As far as not ripping sprites directly, I just think it would be much easier to just rip sprites, then to actually design artwork for a game.

Daniel: Excellent work on the sprites, that should be all I need to for the main menu.

Vreuzon: Don't call it Slinga's project, I'm probably the only one in this thread who hasn't done anything yet :D

I'd looked at the source code for your picture viewer. I'm not sure how it works, I'll have to compile it and test it a few times. But thanks for your help VBT.

I think the first thing I should do is read up on how the Saturn displays sprites. I found some good stuff in the docs on Antime's site.

:D well, i was in art class 4th period after lunch when i tought of http://www.ice.org -- they make tiles/quilts... one starts with 1 piece and sends it to another artist. that artists contributes to that quilt without heavily modifying the other person's art! soooooo... i was thinking maybe if we just start with VBT and my code we can start something big! like a freestyle demo... :blink: or even a game... i added my stuff, now say vbt wants to add the background, then he sends it to vreuzon and he codes in some animation. then it goes to reinhart, he adds music or anything else ... and finally we polish it up and present it... :blah :blah

:damn: sorry i didnt answer some of your questions, the *L is the data you get from S2D2SGL program that is included with SGL (C:\SS\SATURN\SGL\TOOL)

if you guys want i can handle the code for the controllers, make simple functions??? if you want i'll upload the full *.h onto a zip after im done ... just tell me what to code and i'll try my best. :cheers

ok seeya :drool:

Hi!

First: I really appreciate your work on a new game, thats cool!

Second: the approach of ICE is not the best choice for you, you would not be able to work in parallel. It does improve the quality, but won't help you to speed up this big task.

And third:

Before you really start, just think a bit about an experience that I made: when you create games where story is importand and puzzles and stuff have only one solution, then you as the creator won't have any fun playing it when it's finished.

Additionally it's much more difficult to create it because story has to be interesting and have tension.

If you really want to enjoy your game, it would be better to make something like a racing, fighting or random puzzle game, something that offers new tasks and experiences even for those who made the game.

That's just a thought of me,

you'll have to do a lot of work on this,

so you should think about this, too.

Good Luck!

The Rockin'-B

Nescphp: Relax. The first milestone was set for 2 weeks. I still have another week or so to get started. :cool:

;) ah ok -- well i was just throwing ideas around here and there... im probably busy for the whole week because of school so if i don't respond as much or at all, you know where i'll be :( :flamethrower: :sleep: :damn: :angry: :unsure: :devil >school

2 Rockin'-B:

:lol: well i don't think we are going to do a proffessional game... i think it would be a good idea to toss this game/demo around to see what we all can come up with :eek: - i think a simple no story game would be best because it would probably be easier to create rather than a story-type-of-game.

- i think a simple no story game would be best because it would probably be easier to create rather than a story-type-of-game
Well, my dream would be to create a four player splitscreen fps game on the sat. :) If the Gba can handle fps games looking this good :

screen.php

tw15.jpg

screen.php

screen.php

995148940.jpg

If these works good on the Gba, the Saturn shureley can do it times four, for

shure! :) Well, simply a dream I have.

Perhaps im getting away from the main subject. :)

Originally posted by Daniel Eriksson@Sep 6, 2003 @ 05:04 PM

Well, my dream would be to create a four player splitscreen fps game on the sat. :) If the Gba can handle fps games looking this good :

If these works good on the Gba, the Saturn shureley can do it times four, for

shure! :) Well, simply a dream I have.

Perhaps im getting away from the main subject. :)

Go grab Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, and PowerSlave for Saturn.

PS is 30fps, DN is 30fps, and Quake is 20fps. Multiplayer via system link only.

SH-2 isn't nearly as efficient as ARM7.

Back