New anime

dibz

Boss
Staff member
So many anime seasons starting, and many new series. What's everyone watching these days, recommendations for new series?

Currently I'm starting the second season of Black Lagoon, Bleach, Naruto if I feel like it, and Negima?!?. Thinking of checking out Death Note, Pumpkin Scissors, Black Blood Brothers, and Kanon.

*btw, I realize this is similar to an older thread, I'm mainly referring to new seasons/shows here.

Bleh. Most (read: all) of what's on Cartoon Network these days fails to interest me. My local cable company has made Anime Network HD-only, so unless I want to buy a new TV and pay extra, I'm SOL there.

It's not anime at all, hell, it isn't even TV, but I just discovered that my local libraries have all the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy RADIO shows on CD, so that'll be my source of entertainment for a while.

Not real big into anime anymore. Gundam is really all that interests me anymore.

Though I'll always love Sailor Moon as well.

I was actually referring to fansubs, not what's on tv. Sorry for not clarifying that.

I don't like about 99% of the new computernime (new anime since 2000).

It's all mass produced on computers. You can tell by the poor quality/ugly art and animation resulting from mass producing it on computers. Production houses are just churning out series after series of crap these days because it's cheap to make and people will still buy it anyway.

Back when they used to have to draw and color stuff, they'd put more work into it since it cost more, and the drawings and color had more warmth and life to them. Only about 50% of anime I didn't like back in the old days (as opposed to 99% new).

So mostly I just watch all the good old anime. I'm going through Marmalade Boy and Ranma 1/2 (my all-time favorite) right now.

I also pop in random really-old anime I find at thrift stores when I'm playing legos or something. Basically before anime was hot over here, they used to just take the entire 200 episode sci-fi anime series and condense it into a 90 minute movie to release in the US. Sometimes they're Ok, somtimes you just have no idea whatsoever is going on with the giant 5 episode plot holes everywhere.

But sometimes I just enjoy watching the old-school art and animation, even if the show is dumb. Opposite for the new computernime, where I just watch stuff that has a reasonably interesting story, like love hina or Excel Saga. Quite the inversion.

Ranma 1/2 is great, I have a few rows of that on my anime rack in VHS. Good stuff there.

Back