• Rise from your gwave!

new dc's cant boot utopia?

Discussion in 'Dreamcast' started by lasher88, Dec 21, 2001.

1. lasher88

lasher88 New Member

hi, i just read in an older post thaT NEW DC'S cant boot utopia cd or other cd's like it?

is this true??

how can you tel if a dc is from befor october 2000? (i want one for christmas and would get one used if that's the case

thanks a lot for replies

2. Zero 9

Zero 9 New Member

ALL Dreamcasts "work," you just need to reself boot the emulator.

3. MasterAkumaMatata

MasterAkumaMatata Staff Member

Riiiiiiight. Exactly what is your definition of ALL Dreamcasts?

4. Curtis

Curtis Member

The newer ones dont support CDR's, so as a result anyting burnt doesn't work (including boot discs). Only the very newer ones, though.

5. Fabrizo

Fabrizo New Member

Wasn't it that the protection only makes it so that the DC wont boot up the first track or sector of CD-R's?

6. 3rdman

3rdman New Member

Sega, near the end of the Dreamcast's life, began making DC's that couldn't read CDRs. I've never come across one, though. I even just bought one and it boots up my Genny emulator just fine. I think I also read somewhere that these DC were only sold in Japan...but I could be wrong.

7. VertigoXX

VertigoXX Mid Boss

Find yourself one of the Sega Sports edition ones (in the black case w/ NBA & NFL 2K or 2K1). Those work fine. Or find one in the old white and orange boxes. With either of those, you'll be able to boot your import of Shenmue 2.

8. Gear

Gear New Member

The only ones which can`t read copies are the sakura ones, they doesn`t run cdrs with more than one session.

9. Zero 9

Zero 9 New Member

My definition is every #### one that can boot anything.

The new ones just have a protection that does not allow audio to be before the data. You can selfboot games using a selfboot method that puts the data track(s) before the audio (like gdroms).

10. MasterAkumaMatata

Would that include the one that Gear mentioned above?

11. Zero 9

Zero 9 New Member

hmm, that's kind of funny, and original games have 2 sessions as far as I know...

12. ExCyber

ExCyber Staff Member

From what I remember of some of the vague GD-ROM tech crap that was floating around, official GD-ROMs have something like 4 or 5 sessions, with the layout looking something along the lines of:

1) Low-density session (readable by a standard CD-ROM reader, has been used e.g. for bonus desktop backgrounds)

2) Can't remember...

3) Dummy session (takes up unused space to optimize for CAV access)

4) High-density data session

5) CDDA tracks?

My memory on this is pretty vague, but some of the stuff is probably still floating around out there somewhere...

13. MasterAkumaMatata

14. ExCyber

ExCyber Staff Member

According to info earlier in that slideshow, there are only two sessions, and I was thinking of tracks. Still, there's no mention of the "dummy track" that I remember (and I know it was mentioned somewhere as I also remember a blurb saying that the mastering program generated it so as not to need a huge file containing nothing). Oh well.

15. Gear

Gear New Member

you know, internet is full of crap :)

16. ExCyber

ExCyber Staff Member

Sure, but ISTR this being an official source, such as one of the PDF files from the Katana SDK... just wish I really knew where it was from though.

17. Curtis

Curtis Member

I just found this (while wasting time to see if I'm going to wina bid on a Nomad), and it seems that the new DC's can boot the Utopia Boot Disc.

Heres how:

http://cvforums.wolfnet.org/YaBB.cg....Haven't tried this myself (no need :) )

Have fun.

18. Zero 9

Zero 9 New Member

ahem, thanks for actually posting the instructions

19. Curtis

Curtis Member

heh heh - I really must learn to read some time...I've heard it's a useful skill, no? :)