new dc's cant boot utopia?

hi, i just read in an older post thaT NEW DC'S cant boot utopia cd or other cd's like it?

is this true??

how can you tel if a dc is from befor october 2000? (i want one for christmas and would get one used if that's the case

thanks a lot for replies

The newer ones dont support CDR's, so as a result anyting burnt doesn't work (including boot discs). Only the very newer ones, though.

Sega, near the end of the Dreamcast's life, began making DC's that couldn't read CDRs. I've never come across one, though. I even just bought one and it boots up my Genny emulator just fine. I think I also read somewhere that these DC were only sold in Japan...but I could be wrong.

Find yourself one of the Sega Sports edition ones (in the black case w/ NBA & NFL 2K or 2K1). Those work fine. Or find one in the old white and orange boxes. With either of those, you'll be able to boot your import of Shenmue 2.

The only ones which can`t read copies are the sakura ones, they doesn`t run cdrs with more than one session.

Quote: from MasterAkumaMatata on 12:38 am on Dec. 22, 2001

ALL Dreamcasts "work," you just need to reself boot the emulator.
Riiiiiiight. Exactly what is your definition of ALL Dreamcasts?

My definition is every #### one that can boot anything.

The new ones just have a protection that does not allow audio to be before the data. You can selfboot games using a selfboot method that puts the data track(s) before the audio (like gdroms).

From what I remember of some of the vague GD-ROM tech crap that was floating around, official GD-ROMs have something like 4 or 5 sessions, with the layout looking something along the lines of:

1) Low-density session (readable by a standard CD-ROM reader, has been used e.g. for bonus desktop backgrounds)

2) Can't remember...

3) Dummy session (takes up unused space to optimize for CAV access)

4) High-density data session

5) CDDA tracks?

My memory on this is pretty vague, but some of the stuff is probably still floating around out there somewhere...

According to info earlier in that slideshow, there are only two sessions, and I was thinking of tracks. Still, there's no mention of the "dummy track" that I remember (and I know it was mentioned somewhere as I also remember a blurb saying that the mastering program generated it so as not to need a huge file containing nothing). Oh well.

Sure, but ISTR this being an official source, such as one of the PDF files from the Katana SDK... just wish I really knew where it was from though.

I just found this (while wasting time to see if I'm going to wina bid on a Nomad), and it seems that the new DC's can boot the Utopia Boot Disc.

Heres how:

http://cvforums.wolfnet.org/YaBB.cg....Haven't tried this myself (no need :) )

Have fun.

Back