New game-philia

ratfish

Established Member
Post your opinions or say apathetic, insensitive, degrading things to me.

All of the new games coming out from now into 2003 are going to be so cool. Not Sega specific (except for shining soul (oh baby... (wets his pants
blush.gif
))), but many games are already on my have-to-buy-even-if-I-have-to-sell-my-last-pair-of-pants-to-get-them list (not literally).

Some of which are Shining Soul, the Sega Sonic pack thing, and Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicle.

Waiting for the games on the other hand is extremely painfull, fanboys out there know it too. But, the supreme goodness of the games makes up for the wait.

I'm also a flaming FF on Nintendo fanboy, so the wait is even worse.

So tell me what you think about new games you want and nightmares you've had of squrrels eating your new copy of the Sega Sonic thingy.

Seems to me most new games are just sequels... more of the same. And even if a game is not a sequel but a new development, it still is more of the same. I dunno... the videogame industry is kinda going the way the music industry has gone long ago: mass-produce and hype the same old stuff with ever-better and improving technologies...higher resolution? faster frame rates? surround audio, broadband online gaming? And what, the newest ATI Radeon is now capable of generating true shadows? Big whoop.

I'm not saying I'm above all that...I buy into the promise of ever-better graphics etc. just like anyone else... but even with the better-looking Ikaruga out I still love Radiant Silvergun (to use an example). In a way even Ikaruga is more of the same....OK, not as much since it introduces the black/white system etc. and doesn't use the same storyline. But generally, for most other games, this is true.

I'm talking about yet another Tony Hawk, yet another NFL, yet another Doom or Unreal, yet another you-name-it. Funny how games now come out with years instead of version numbers, much like Windows, Office, Norton etc. ....

Maybe I just have my fill of all my favorite genres of games with the collection I've built for my Saturn and Dreamcast. Maybe I just don't need anything for a while. Not until gaming technology has progressed so far that getting new games really will amount to a whole new experience for me. Even then, some actual innovation will be welcome, too, as Sega has repeatedly demonstrated.

new mario (already out, but I can't afford it, so I'm still looking forward), new zelda, new metroid. Sure it's the same shit in a new pile, but DAMN that's some tasty shit.

I want to play the new Shinobi, but I will never buy a PS2 ;-)

So I decidec to buy a Xbox to play the Shenmue Saga!

Originally posted by sonik@Sep. 27 2002, 5:29 pm

I want to play the new Shinobi, but I will never buy a PS2 ;-)

So I decidec to buy a Xbox to play the Shenmue Saga!

I'm half-way interested in buying a PS2 between the PSX and PS2 games, there's starting to be a decent game selection. Shinobi and Virtua Fighter 4.... mmmmmm!

I'm not much for Sony due to my past experiences with their good crapping out on me. Plus I've heard no-the-greatest stories about the PS2 hardware itself.

I won't get one until the prices drop some more though. The most I ever payed for a system was $100 (original Gameboy, Genesis, and Dreamcast -- yeah I couldn't wait til it dropped to $50 -- but who knew)

I'm still kinda thinking about staying with a PSOne (small one) instead for the time being. If I get either, I want to get a premodded system.

I think i'm sticking to the innovative, I'm leaning towards a gamecube, mainly for animal crossing (love them commercials), metroid prime, and skies of arcadia legend (hopefully I'll be able to play a neater pinta quest on the gba)

Those other run of the mill games on the ps2 don't hold much interest for me.

Originally posted by Nadius@Sep. 27 2002, 6:19 pm

I think i'm sticking to the innovative, I'm leaning towards a gamecube, mainly for animal crossing (love them commercials), metroid prime, and skies of arcadia legend (hopefully I'll be able to play a neater pinta quest on the gba)

Those other run of the mill games on the ps2 don't hold much interest for me.

Actually that's the whole reason I'm not buying another system right away. All the Sega systems I have so far and the 100-some games I have between them have everything that would interest me for the most part.

The only thing that nags inside me to get a new system is the eye candy and the addiction of collecting more games that I'll never have time to play. (I still haven't played a number of the Dreamcast games I own for more than an hour or so even though they are all excellent)

racketboy really nails it on the head...I totally agree! I've yet to really spend any time on most of my Saturn/Dreamcast games, even the original ones I paid mucho dinero for... (ho-hum, yes, I do have some, erm, BACKUPS, um)... and yeah, it's always the eye candy that draws me to more games too (and newer consoles)... but at some point you just become aware that eye candy wears off and you're eventually back to square one.... I enjoy those games the most that keep you under their spell with a huge, amazing storyline or big levels to explore and spend hours with... it's with that in mind that I played the entire Tomb Raider collection on my PC even when it was aging and the graphics weren't the most mindblowing anymore... but I was so ADDICTED to the TR universe, I couldn't get enough.

Back