New homebrew Dc game!

Here is another interesting home-brew game coming for the Dreamcast. The game looks stunning and will probably be a bit like Resident Evil.

dreamon_2.jpg

For more info, check http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/ and this thread http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=186

Long live the DC!

Homebrew developers getting better results with the Dreamcast than professional ones? Sounds possible, at 2fps.

Very few Homebrew games impress me. While I respect efforts, I play games because I enjoy them, and few homebrew games offer the same kind of enjoyment to me as commercial ones. But this one genuinely impresses and intrigues me, I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

The game does look very good, especialy for a homebrew one, but the backgrounds are still pre-rendered, which sort of detracts from the ooh'ing and ahh'ing.

btw, off topic but, I heard that a homebrew dev managed to get the dc to push 8mil polys on screen recently, anyone have some info on that (like where the demo can be dl'd and such)?

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jan 29, 2004 @ 10:52 PM

Homebrew developers getting better results with the Dreamcast than professional ones? Sounds possible, at 2fps.

As Fabrizo said, its prerendered. He posted about it on DCEmu, and we even got to make fun of his early work on the main character :D. Regardless, if the game is any good, I don't care if it is 2D or not.

Fabrizo: I have never heard that. Certainly I've heard of it pushing 5-6 million or so PPS in a fully textured, detailed game enviroment, but not in homebrew. Tools, time, and skill limit what you're going to accomplish (compared to commercial stuff, of course you have hardware limits). However, I must note that very few DC games had much if any SH4 asm in them, so it is possible

Oh yeah, and there's supposedly a GTA 3 clone being made on DC with Renderware. Yeah, there's a lot of scepticism about that, to say the least. But on the plus side there's Super Famicast and Genesis Plus to look forward to!

I'm not sure how many polys KOS can handle atm, you might want to ask Dan Potter about that. He can probably give you a ballpark figure of what he's seen.

Even if it were pushing 5-6 million, it wouldn't be very fast at all. I've heard from Dan that KOS still has lots of graphic accelleration troubles, and they've tried to keep 3D objects to a minimum to stay at a 60fps rate.

By the way, you should check out Dan's tUM Christmas demo, Reverie, it's pretty neat what he can throw together in under 2 weeks.

By the looks of it (and the fact I can read portuguese XD), it looks like a graphic adenture game, Snatcher/Policenauts style, or maybe even a FMV adventure game game. It's not insanely hard to make one of those with the tools avaliable on the web and a good pack of art-people in the team.

And if the dev team indeed did that scenery themselves, then they are indeed *very* capable of doing something that pleases the eye. It's easily RE2/3 pre-rendered quality.

Back