New Litespeed Computers Webpage Layout?

SUPERCOM32> 8Ball.exe < "Is this website professional?”

Outlook not so good...

SUPERCOM32> 8Ball.exe < "Does the website get things done?”

All signs point to yes...

SUPERCOM32>

Originally posted by it290@Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 01:37 AM

Anyway, what I was getting at was that there are plenty of sites that are not MS, Sony or Amazon.com, but are just as professionally designed. To me, 'professional' doesn't mean cloning the most common style of the day.

Point some of those sites out, please.

okay...

for instance, here is an interface that I think has an interesting, yet still effective means of displaying information:

http://www.marumushi.com/apps/newsmap/

Here's another one that I think does a good job of selling a product:

http://www.ds4sale.com/

Now, obviously not everything has to be super flash, but it would be hard to argue, for instance, that ds' site isn't professional, since, well, they are professionals, and have a fairly high profile to boot. Frankly, though, I don't want to pick apart your playstation site, nor do I really care that much for this debate.. I was just annoyed because it's so completely typical of your behavior to pop up with a rude and blunt remark, and then qualify it by pointing to something sony/playstation related as an example of creamy wholesome goodness. I'm sure it's intentional, but whatever.

Originally posted by it290+Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 03:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(it290 @ Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 03:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>okay...

for instance, here is an interface that I think has an interesting, yet still effective means of displaying information:

http://www.marumushi.com/apps/newsmap/[/b]

Great design, looks really nice, but at the same time, nothing links this to the new Litespeed Computers layout.

Originally posted by it290@Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 03:25 PM

Here's another one that I think does a good job of selling a product:

http://www.ds4sale.com/

Even better, I love this, I don't know what is is, but I love it.

<!--QuoteBegin-it290
@Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 03:25 PM

I was just annoyed because it's so completely typical of your behavior to pop up with a rude and blunt remark, and then qualify it by pointing to something sony/playstation related as an example of creamy wholesome goodness. I'm sure it's intentional, but whatever.[/quote]

Being rude? I am just being sincere. Intentional? IceMan already knew my opinion on different layouts he had planned for his site, so this isn't something I just made up to "bother" someone.

Anyway, these are discussion forums, after all.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 12:33 AM

Being rude? I am just being sincere.

[post=130236]Quoted post[/post]​

It's only proper to sugar-coat your critiques past the point of recognition. :sarcasm:

Okay, well sorry for the biting remarks then.. once again, it just irritated me at the time and I get prone to zealotry when I'm irritated. I do get rather sick of bland layouts over and over again... one huge pet peeve of mine is sites that have all the sections stuck into a big frame on the left side (especially long lists), for example. Guess I should be more on-topic, though... I'm kind of indifferent about the layout of Ice's site. It's pretty usable, but it does have that 'NASCAR' feel to it, heh. I think the arrangement of elements probably fits the amount of content he has to present pretty well, though.

edit - before anyone thinks I'm being too much of a pompous asshole (probably too late for that), I will admit that I'm a crappy web designer. I made my first web page back in 1993 with nothing but emacs, xv, and deluxe paint IV, and I've pretty much stuck to a similar technique for everything I've done since. ;) ... although I understand the technical rationale behind the way HTML is implemented, I get extremely peeved about not having total control over fonts, text flow, etc.. I haven't made any sites that I consider beautiful or easily navigable, and I'm not proud of it. ;)

See what I mean? You just can't control that darn text! (attached image)

I do have to take exception to that second site, though... the design looks optimized for people with 400 pixel wide browser windows.

edit - Oh man.. the guy running the first site's desktop screenshot is just too funny - check this out:

http://www.kamui-wings.com/scarlet/desk.html

Attachments

• sugar_moon.jpg
    sugar_moon.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 119
  • sugar_moon.jpg
    sugar_moon.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 101
  • sugar_moon.jpg
    sugar_moon.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 97
Originally posted by it290+Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 04:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(it290 @ Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 04:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>See what I mean? You just can't control that darn text![/b]

You are right, Sugar.Moon has serious issues with the font size and overall format.

Originally posted by it290@Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 04:06 PM

I do have to take exception to that second site, though... the design looks optimized for people with 400 pixel wide browser windows.

That second site looks lovely, great design - same can be said about the first one.

<!--QuoteBegin-it290
@Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 04:06 PM

edit - Oh man.. the guy running the first site's desktop screenshot is just too funny - check this out:

http://www.kamui-wings.com/scarlet/desk.html

[/quote]

Her name is "Monica", she is a girl...

Her name is "Monica", she is a girl...

Okay, good call, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that she likes Kenny G. Plus, you gotta admit it's a bit odd to put what looks like a phone number on your personal site.

That second site looks lovely, great design - same can be said about the first one.

Yeah, but how many people have a screen aspect ratio that looks like this?

Attachments

• 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 148
Originally posted by SUPERCOM32@Mon, 2005-02-21 @ 08:20 PM

SUPERCOM32> 8Ball.exe < "Is this website professional?”

Outlook not so good...

SUPERCOM32> 8Ball.exe < "Does the website get things done?”

All signs point to yes...

SUPERCOM32>
[post=130183]Quoted post[/post]​

:huh: That's one way of putting it... but you could stop talking in DOS language and try actually talking normally..?

Anyway, the link didn't work for me (doesn't bode well..!) and I have to go now, but I'll have a look later. If the layout is the way IceMan2k wants it, I can't see how it can be bad. :)

Originally posted by Drenholm@Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 02:46 AM

:huh:  That's one way of putting it... but you could stop talking in DOS language and try actually talking normally..?

SUPERCOM32> Exit

Bad command or file name.

SUPERCOM32>

Originally posted by SUPERCOM32+Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 02:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SUPERCOM32 @ Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 02:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>SUPERCOM32> Exit

Bad command or file name.

SUPERCOM32>
[post=130264]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

:damn:

Well, if it makes you happy - strange as it is. :huh:

<!--QuoteBegin-it290
@Tue, 2005-02-22 @ 05:33 PM

SUPERCOM32> ESC [13;27;13;"del *.*";13p
[post=130273]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

Oh crap - they're multiplying! :blink: