Newer model dreamcasts and CDRs...

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new...

I've recently run in to the oppurtunity to purchase one of those special edition black "sega sports" dreamcasts. My old dreamcast just broke, and, having been raised as a sega fan, I've always preferred the look of black consoles. I've heard things about certain later model dreamcasts not being able to read burnt CDRs, does anybody know if this model is like that?

Originally posted by MackDaddyP@Mon, 2005-05-30 @ 07:28 PM

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new...

I've recently run in to the oppurtunity to purchase one of those special edition black "sega sports" dreamcasts. My old dreamcast just broke, and, having been raised as a sega fan, I've always preferred the look of black consoles. I've heard things about certain later model dreamcasts not being able to read burnt CDRs, does anybody know if this model is like that?

[post=134702]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't believe any model of Dreamcast has difficulty reading self-booting burned games, but even still it wouldn't be a problem because the Sega Sports Bundle isn't especially new; it was released in late 2000.

There are a very few Dreamcasts that simply will not boot from CD-ROM. I've heard conflicting information; the only ones I've heard consistently confirmed as being GD-only are the Hello Kitty special edition units.

I have got a hello kitty and my firend has an R7, both boot cd-rs fine. The Sakura Taisen dreamcast doesn't and to my knowledge is the only one that wont.

No, you can't.

1) Sakura Taisen DC won't read them - I can confirm this as I have one.

2) Later PAL models also can't read them (here we just resolder the BIOS on them :)).

3) If you use data-data selfboot method, it'll work on all DC's, including these ones.

Back