NGAGE!

Absolute and total crap. You can get a new GBA and a pretty cool cell phone for less. I can't imagine anyone ever buying one of these. If for no other reason, then because it doesn't look cool. Who wants to hold that thing to their ear? Seriously. Perhaps when they're in the bargain bin for $5 and 50 cents a game I'll get one. Maybe. Probably not even then...

Got to test this one today, wasn't too impressed. The loading times were pretty bad (but I suppose inevitable from a technical point of view, these aren't ROM cartridges after all), the number keys work poorly as in-game buttons and the framerate of Tomb Raider (the game on display) was choppy. The telephone part's OS also seemed unintuitive but after going back and forth in the menus for a while I did manage to get the game running, which seems to be more than most manage.

But! However! As I've said in other places, this would make a great platform for vertically scrolling shmups. The screen has the right format (and seemed quite allright, especially compared to the GBA's) and the two raised number keys would work fine as gun and bomb buttons. Ah well, one can always hope..

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Oct 9, 2003 @ 03:17 AM

I believe it will fail terribly.

Go keitai.

well....i've just played tomb raider on it.....apart from a few minor glitches, it looks good......have yet to try monkey ball :p

I can play tomb raider on my ipaq 2215 too, and that was only $300 for a kick ass 400mhz ppc thats smaller and does more.

Originally posted by Ammut@Oct 9, 2003 @ 12:36 AM

2nd-you have to remove the battery to replace the game, then put the battery back in. What dumbasses were designing this? I'm sorry, I see NO logic there whatsoever. Maybe they don't want the cartridges shown so that it doesn't look like a gameboy or something but having to take the battery out is just plain stupid...

---Ammut

Actually, I see the logic. Removing the battery forces the hardware to fully reset and reboot. I suppose during R&D they had a time making the hardware switch the software smoothly.

I'm sure they are well aware of the consumer hassle and complaints. . . but they have deadlines to meet and competitions (Zodiac releases in December) around the corner. No time debug a problem that can be circumvented by forcing a reboot.

Ice, don't feel alone. I do not own a cell phone, nor will I ever. Only time I carry one, is when I am on call at work.

NGage - I also played with it at an EB. Man does the thing blow. To complex. bad games. But yes, the screen is nice. As for cases, I thought nintendo was shifting to hard cases for the GBA. I read earlier this soummer they were gonna start using a DVD style case. Whatever happened to that idea.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Oct 9, 2003 @ 07:58 AM

the ONLY thing I like about the whole system is the cases the games come in. They're like half height DVD cases. Very sturdy and good for protecting games (HELLO NINTENDO).

Actually Nintendo is supposed to start releasing GBA games in DVD cases this holiday season

For the record, I don't have a cell phone either.

But back on topic, I have to admit to almost being tempted to buy one. Why?

Pandimonium. A handheld version of that sounds like a dream.

But in terms on concept, the NGage just has too many flaws to stand a chance. Couple that with the fact that the machine has no real target audience to speak of, and I can't see it going far. I believe the Game.com actually sold more.

Dude pandimonium is a piece of crap... it was when it was new why the hell would you want to play that on any format ever?

just so you guys know, they lowered the price of the ngage, to 199.00, for "a limited time only", this is at gamestops, not sure if it is elsewhere. just FYI

i agree gallstaff... this thing looks like one of those tiger hand held games lol! let a dog pee on it lol :lol: and besides u rather spend time with ps-one n its portable too....

Originally posted by thailees@Oct 27, 2003 @ 12:01 AM

i agree gallstaff... this thing looks like one of those tiger hand held games lol! let a dog pee on it lol :lol: and besides u rather spend time with ps-one n its portable too....

No way - We would rather spend our time with good 'ol Game & Watch! :devil

Originally posted by stack99@Oct 27, 2003 @ 04:40 AM

just so you guys know, they lowered the price of the ngage, to 199.00, for "a limited time only", this is at gamestops, not sure if it is elsewhere. just FYI

gee they must have been selling like hotcakes if after a week they lowered the price $100. I'd be ticked if I bought one the first week.

I'd try to return it.

hell yeah, same here, I almost contemplated picking one up.... I would have to plead insanity on that one... I dunno what the hell I was thinking...lol

Back