NiGHTS Into Dreams... authentic level tracks

So, the NiGHTS Into Dreams... OST used an inferior synthesizer to the Saturn's own, for some reason. To remedy this, I recorded the six chip-generated level tracks myself in their four main Nightopian mood variations, and the track Growing Wings (Twin Seeds; only one version of this one in the game). :) You also get the chip-generated track Jack Frost's Chime from Christmas NiGHTS and its mood variations. That's 29 tracks in all!

Hopefully SegaXtreme will be nice enough to host them for me so I can share them! Ice, I'm sorry if I confused or annoyed you by deleting the first set - but this lot are better.

Let me assure everyone, they are high quality, and sound many times better than the badly-synthesized tracks from the 'official' soundtrack (which SegaXtreme already host - hopefully a comparison can be done).

Please read the attached .rtf document in you are interested further. Thank you! :)

IceMan2k has informed me that the tracks will be going online once the website has been switched to the new server.

:party

Thanks very much, Ice! :)

I hope everybody who downloads the tracks enjoys them! :thumbs-up:

Update:

The tracks will be encoded using LAME 3.96.1 instead, using the VBR setting -V2 (equivalent to the famous --alt-preset standard). This is basically because this version of LAME is much newer (the current stable version) and seems to offer equivalent, if not better, quality to 3.90.3.

However, regarding the filenames and tagging (especially for titles), I'd appreciate advice! :) I was thinking along the lines of incorporating both the level name and track title into the song name, along with the Nightopian moods. I just don't know in what way to do it!

Would a system such as Title (Level) - Mood be okay for this situation? I presume I should just label the moods as Happy, Standard, Indifferent and Angry. Little things like capitalisation and whether to put Nightopians, Version or nothing at all after the mood type are also confusing me.

Anyone have any preferences or recommendations? I guess I should be asking IceMan2k! :)

Edit: should have mentioned:

I'm just going to put the album title as (Christmas where appropriate) NiGHTS Into Dreams Original Soundtrack - Sega Saturn Audio Edition, and the composers in alphabetical order (I still have to check the game credits about that, however). Does that title sound stupid and should I leave off the capitals on Audio and Edition or just use a different title?

Yup, I am on something of a quest for tagging perfection - the state of confusion complicates matters an unnecessary amount! :D

Since the server was just moved I will get Flakvin to get them up within the week

OH.. It's like that is it.. YOU'LL GET ME TO GET THEM UP.. OH... REALLY?

Sure.. well. i guess I could do that.. it's not like I got anything else to do. ;)

Originally posted by Drenholm@Sun, 2005-04-03 @ 11:16 PM

The tracks will be encoded using LAME 3.96.1 instead, using the VBR setting -V2 (equivalent to the famous --alt-preset standard). This is basically because this version of LAME is much newer (the current stable version) and seems to offer equivalent, if not better, quality to 3.90.3.

[post=132477]Quoted post[/post]​

the equalent of alt preset standard in 3.96.1 is simply "--preset standard". Using any of the VBR settings will most likely result in lower quality then the (alt) preset setting.

No, trust me, the --presets standard, medium, extreme now point to rudimentary VBR switches (-Vn), and those like --preset bitrate or --preset cbr bitrate to --abr bitrate or -bbitrate respectively.

The LAME devs decided to incorporate the --(alt-)presets' code-level tunings into any standard settings they could. My prediction is that, come LAME 4, there won't be any presets - simplicity is the goal, as far as I know.

Tracks have been uploaded via FTP, and hopefully will be up in the near future. :)

Thanks many times again to IceMan2k and SegaXtreme for the hosting, and I hope you find my tracks good if you choose to download them!

:D

Could someone please tell me what happened with these? If you don't want to put them up, it's fine, but I still don't know what's going on!

Cheers. :)

AFAIK Flakvin has been sucked into the black hole that is WoW. It's been over a month since he's been here.

I don't know if anyone else is looking after soundtracks in his place... :/

OHHHHH!!!! Damn those irresponsible gamers and their crack like addiction to WoW.

Hrmm, well if your looking for the tracks ripped directly from the Game here you go. They won't be up for long though so I don't kill the bandwidth on my website.

REMOVED CAUSE MY WEB HOST SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Drenholm: When you finish DLing it please post a message in this thread so I know that it can be taken down without leaving you out.

Oh yeah, and if your reading this message within a half hour of 8:15 AM EST, Tuesday July 12th... give it till 8:45 to UL. I need sleep now. Bye!

[EDIT]What the bugger hell!!!! Something is wrong. GRRRRR!!!!

At the companies website it says I have 93 MB left, but when I FTP in it says I only have 12MB left!!! grrrrr! And I know it has nothing to do with bits bytes cause both places say I've only used 7 MB!

[EDIT 2] OK!

here FTP into: 66.93.49.214 on port 21

Login: Download

PW: Download

Sorry, but no PASSIVE mode...

This will only be on for today and only today. It only connects to the folder you are on and dah dah dah... leave something if you'd like!

Okay, thanks very much guys. In case anyone's forgot though, I recorded this particular bunch of tracks myself, and uploaded them to an FTP for IceMan2k. I know there exists a set on SonicStrike but I did not find that out until after having recorded and made MP3s of my own, so when IceMan2k said they could still go up I figured it was a good idea. But they haven't yet!

Anyway, hopefully we'll hear one way or another. I was just wondering - I only recently really remembered about this.

Back