Nintendo DS vs Sony PSP

the PSP will be crowned champ. However, the big issue will be the Next itteration of the GBA, that will make for a good battle.. but so far, the PSP is GREAT... I got mine this morning and it is perfect, by far the best handheld system I have ever purchased... its flawless, the games, perfect, I can't wait to get more games, so far I have Ridge Racer. I will be getting darkstalkers, gretzky, nba, and lumines.... the games on this system are awesome, as are the graphics. People complain however, about the price, but for me, I think 250 is definately accpetable for this exceptional machine. The screen quality for both Movies and Games is acceptional, I highly recommend this system to any and all hardcore gamers.

I am going to wait on the price.. I'm sure it will come down a bit soon :)

The only thing I don't like about the PSP is the movie disc. You will need to buy the new format movies to watch on the psp... Other than that, it looks great.

This is painful to say, but between the DS and Sony's handheld, Sony.

But overall (DS, GBA, GBSP vs Sony), Nintendo.

I check the Japanese sales charts every week (To see how RE4 and the 'Cube are doing. Sadly, RE4 isn't even in the Top 30 anymore. :( :damn:), and while Sony's handheld is outselling the DS by an average of 5,000 - 10,000 or so per week, when you also factor in GBSP and GBA sales, Nintendo still leads by a couple thousand.

Edit: Ah crap! I just checked the charts for March 7 - 13...

Sony Handheld: 46,307

Nintendo (GBA, GBSP, DS): 41,749

Dammit... :damn:

Just checked the sales charts again, and I noticed this:

Totals thus far this year (as of March 13):

Sony Handheld: 536,476

Nintendo (GBA, GBSP, DS): 599,628

Now I can breathe a bit easier. :p :D :thumbs-up:

Originally posted by Lyzel@Thu, 2005-03-24 @ 06:04 PM

I am going to wait on the price.. I'm sure it will come down a bit soon :)

The only thing I don't like about the PSP is the movie disc. You will need to buy the new format movies to watch on the psp... Other than that, it looks great.

[post=132056]Quoted post[/post]​

that is a downer, I will admit, but the quality brother.. is awesome.. but another plus, is the ability to watch any and all avi's from the sd disk... I got family guy gutted onto a sdisk... and it looks and works beautiful...

Meh, I say DS becasue I play games usually for longer than 2 hours, and also I don't trust playing a PSP in a long car ride. The only feature I like about the PSP is that you can fling Discs at people. It may have more games, but most of them are sports games or ports of PS1 games, and the game I want doesn't come out till may. :/

With Katamari DS and Castlevania on the horizon, Nintendo is finally starting to get the ball rolling (pun intended), but if they don't pull through with the software for the DS I don't see it going anywhere.

It's amuzing people still have the "which one will win" mentality. Wasn't the PS2 supposed to obliterate the GC and the Xbox years ago? Didn't the PS2 win? Why are the otehr two out there yet?

It's almost certain the PSP is going to outsell the DS, since it got more idiot-baits built-in, unless Nitendo starts making out DS GTA clones out of the blue. But I doubt the DS will fall behind as much as the WonderSwan, Lynx and the Game Gear did.

The whole story about the two handhelds not competing entirely *is* true. Actually they only compete over a certain portion of the market, while both aim to catter different untapped markets. Follow my thinking:

The portable market is a whole different beast than the console maket. While the two audiences intersect at points, there's a bunch of console gamers that never really cared about handhelds, and handheld players that don't care much about home consoles, or seek a different experience in a handheld game than in a console game.

Let's call them the PlayStation market and the GameBoy market.

Sony's strategy is offer home-console "quality" experience on a handheld. The PSP is some sort of new generation Nomad, with deep pockets. It targets the PlayStation market. While it will surely have gameBoy-ish games (like Lumines), those game will be left out of focus in favor to countless "hardcore" games. That's a market untouched by handhelds up to now.

The DS moves in a whole different way. The "gameboy" market was always split into two major publics: gamers who also play consoles, and not-so-gamer people who don't play consoles at all, but like the simplier, quickier play experience that has been offered in handhelds for years. The PSP might eat a bunch of the first half, but the not-so-gamer people might be a bit scared off by it.

The DS is also trying to catter to an untapped market: people who don't play console nor handheld games at all. It's a much harder endeavour than the PSP's, that's for sure. It's hard to tell if the solid DS sales up to now came from this new market, or from the traditional handheld market.

It will never appeal to the "hardcore" gamer. But since the previous gameboys didn't do it either, there isn't really much of a market share lost to the PSP here. It's just that the PSP will appeal to an extra consumer market, and that will boost it's sales with sure.

I own a ds, I'm not planning on buying a psp until it's got a library to match what I can play on my ds from gba games.

Right now the biggest problem is it doesn't have a killer app. There's no single ds game that makes you think, man I need a ds. Maybe the new metroid game will do that, but who knows. That and when the games do come out, the software developers shouldn't rely on the touch screen as the primary input. I imagine a good rpg that used the bottom touch screen as a menu and that was the only thing that used the touch screen as doing very well.

What will decide if the ds gets to live or if it goes the way of the virtual boy (don't get me wrong, I love my virtual boy) is if they come up with a game that makes people need the system. As is I spend a lot more time playing gba games on my ds than I do playing ds games...

The PSP will probably win out due to Sony's monster of an advertising campaign.

I'm going to stick out with my Zodiac 2 for a little while longer. Might get a Gizmondo as my next handheld device. I am looking for something that accels at gamming yet is also usefull as a PDA. So when I'm stuck at a clients installing windows or scanning for viruses I have something to do. :banana

Although I might just get a PSP for the heck of it. The only thing that scares me is the amount of dead pixels people have been getting and Sony says they are not under warranty.

I guess it feels good to know I'm not the only one with a pda and a gameboy and feel like I only have room to carry one. I kinda feel like this is a market the ds could pick up with it's touch screen, if the software and stuff just came out for it.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Sun, 2005-03-27 @ 02:08 PM

If the software and stuff just came out for it.

[post=132200]Quoted post[/post]​

Which it will. Nintendo plans on releasing software that allows you to use the DS as a PDA.

Well, Sony has done a hell of a job with the PSP. As it stands right now, the PSP will dominate the handheld market, regardless of price point. It's a multimedia powerhouse; the DS is not. I really like the conecept of the DS, but with only lackluster ports of N64 games the high point of the system, Nintendo better make some amazing titles for the console, and quick. And, I think they need to make an "SP" version of the DS - who doesn't admit that the damn thing looks clunky? And, I know this is too much to ask, they should really bite the bullet and put an analog stick on the DS. Mario64 was meant to be played in analog! I know that Nintendo won't redesign the DS just like (or will they A la N-Gage?), but if it did have an analog stick, I would have gotten one a long time ago.....

Well, Sony has done a hell of a job with the PSP. As it stands right now, the PSP will dominate the handheld market, regardless of price point. It's a multimedia powerhouse; the DS is not.

I don't think there is a "handheld market" to dominate, as M3d10n was getting at. I suspect that PSP is probably going to steal more customers from Apple and iriver than from Nintendo.

Oh, I think there's definitely a handheld market. Sure, young kids might be somewhat more likely to receive a DS as a gift because of its price point, but most people in their twenties that might be interested in a handheld are only going to buy one or the other. And that's a significant percentage of the market, even the market that Nintendo has traditionally targeted.

Back