No Shenmue 3? Ever?

Cloud121

Established Member
From Xbox360 News

Looks like there won't be a Shenmue 3. :(

This gives me an inspiration to play Shenmue a second time, then finally play through Shenmue II that's been sitting on my shelf the last two years.

I will always be waiting for Shenmue 3. And of course, I'll soon start to play Shenmue 1+2 again, 'cause it's christmas. But I still have to play part 2 till the end.

Eh, wasn't there another report not long ago stating that Shenmue 3 was in production and that Suzuki wasn't closely involved with the project? Not saying that's more accurate, just that Shenmue has probably been more shrouded in myths and rumor than any other game series.

Even if there were plans for Shenmue 3 I doubt that it would be announced until right at the end of development - think of the pressure to release the game as quickly as possible resulting in a rush and a disappointment.

To all those who havent finished part 2 I suggest that you do as disk 4 is the most beutiful world in gaming.

Originally posted by EliteEvi;@Sat, 2005-11-12 @ 08:15 AM

Even if there were plans for Shenmue 3 I doubt that it would be announced until right at the end of development - think of the pressure to release the game as quickly as possible resulting in a rush and a disappointment.

To all those who havent finished part 2 I suggest that you do as disk 4 is the most beutiful world in gaming.

[post=141651]Quoted post[/post]​

...With a big WTF ending.

I'm on my way to play through the first one, for the first time. Had it for over a year but never got into it seriously.

Hope I'll make it through Shenmue 2 before the third one comes out. ;)

Wasn't there an online Shenmue comming out? I've really become bad at keeping up with any news at all concerning videogames. And yes, I am ashamed of myself.

Yes, Shenmue Online was supposedly cancelled for a while, but now it's back with a graphical overhaul. I'm not too psyched about it, though, and it also looks like the game probably won't be localized for Western markets. However, it seems to me that if Sega sees a market for Shenmue Online, they must see a market for Shenmue 3 as well.

I once saw a screenshot that was supposed to be from a beta version of Shenmue for the Saturn, anyone ever hear of this?

Originally posted by Merick@Mon, 2005-11-28 @ 04:27 AM

I once saw a screenshot that was supposed to be from a beta version of Shenmue for the Saturn, anyone ever hear of this?

[post=141993]Quoted post[/post]​

There is a clip after you complete one of the games as an extra. Can't remember which one, though I think it is 2. From what I have read it was supposed to be fairly complete.

Originally posted by EliteEvi;@Mon, 2005-11-28 @ 04:26 PM

There is a clip after you complete one of the games as an extra. Can't remember which one, though I think it is 2. From what I have read it was supposed to be fairly complete.

[post=142004]Quoted post[/post]​

I've just completed Shenmue 2 and have seen the Shenmue for Saturn video.

I am shocked! I am shocked so much, I fear I can't recover!

This video shows Shenmue scenes from Shenmue 1 intro all through to the beutiful visuals of Shenmue 2 GD4.

It looks absolutely fantastic. Though it is within the capabilities of the Saturn, it has a very high level.

This Shenmue for Saturn must have been finished. Those guys must have spent years to port it over to dreamcast and polish the GFX. Oh how I regret that SEGA canceled this Saturn title.

I WANT THIS SHENMUE FOR SATURN! I would give everything I have for this!

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Sun, 2005-12-04 @ 12:50 PM

This Shenmue for Saturn must have been finished. Those guys must have spent years to port it over to dreamcast and polish the GFX
[post=142215]Quoted post[/post]​

It makes you wonder what else must have been made but never released by developers. Several websites list a port of baldurs gate for the dreamcast, I would love to have a copy of this.

I remember Baldur's Gate being announced for DC in the US Dreamcast Magazine, but I don't think the port got anywhere near completion. Most likely they decided to focus on MDK2 instead.

After playing Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast, I checked the Project Berkeley GD included in VF3tb.

It included in-game scenes which are not shown in any Shenmue:

- Ryo hanging at the outside of a train

- various action sequences with Shenhua showing what impressive power she got

This and the Shenmue for Saturn video shows how far the development already was. The only problem for Shenmue 3 is time: the longer they wait, the more outdated get the GFX.

Maybe Yu Suzuki is bored of spending years to update the GFX like they did when switching from Saturn to Dreamcast and from Dreamcast to XBox.

BTW: Seems like Shenhua is called Sha Hua in earlier Shenmue work (maybe Shenmue 1). Confusing.

BTW#2: How can life go on when you saw Shenmue for Saturn video? Someone on this planet must have A LOT material of Shenmue for SEGA Saturn laying around. Oh god, if only I were that someone.

This was there for a long time....basically it's believed that all storyline was completed when game was developed for Saturn and then it was just ported/split into parts to DC.

Also there was an aritcle at Kikuzogames recently, which said that Shenmue 3 _will_ be released on this incoming gen systems (on one of them). It was said that they have all models/textures done already and just need to port it to some of the consoles (X360 or PS3 probably). Also it'll be a solo AM2 project, Yu Suzuki won't take a part in it (but if the story is completed, it doesn't matter much)/

Back