no spin zone

wow its been quite a while since i have been on this site. how is everyone? anyway i installed a saturn mod chip about a year ago which i was given a lot of help in doing so from the people on this site. i had some trouble but once i got it to work it stayed that way but then i had nt played my saturn for the last few months and i recently wanted to play a game but now the cd does not spin at all. i tried both burned games and real games but it doesnt spin. the cd doesnt even spin at any point in time after i hit the power button. i do not know if its to do with the mod chip or what but i would like to quickly and smoothly fix this unlike the mod chip fiasco i ahd a bit over a year. help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

not sure whether it will be of any help but some of my Saturn arrived with similar symptoms. Upon turning on no Cd spinning at all.

what I did was open working Saturn and compare the CD-ROM drive with non-working one and found the only difference was the position of lens head assembly. Bit fuzzy with memory but on working Saturn it was rested at near centre spindle whereas the non-working one had it located at the far end of the rail. Not sure why but I simply pushed gently the assembly towards the centre and upon powering up it works like nothing ever happened.

Since yours is chipp'd and all can't say for sure whether my method will work but guess it's well worth the shot if your CD lens assembly is not resting at near centre spindle.

i tried that just to make sure but it did not fix the problem. just to throw this out could it be the red mod chip wire (my mod chip has one red and one blue wire on it) the red wire is still connected to its intended place but seems somewhat loose. not sure if thats the case so please continue with your help

First thing I'd do is double check all of the connections between the mainboard and the CD board, including the mod. Unplugging them and then plugging them back in may help.

If that doesn't do anything, try removing the mod and see if the Saturn will operate without it - it could be a dead mod.

What happened to me back when I had my Sat modded, was that the cable wasn't making contact with where it plugs in the CD board. It was stretching a bit in the direction of the mod, so I pushed back towards the CD board, so it'd have a bit of a curve. And it worked!

i checked how snugg everything was plugged in, removed all dust particles that were visble and re-soldered the red wire but it still wont spin. please HELP!

ok now i am sure it has to do with the mod chip because i unplug the mod chip and put the ribbon back to its natural position but i didnt want to disconect the mod wires b/c thats a pain but i tried playing a game and i now got the cd to spin but it would not stop spinning even after i opened the tray nor would it actually load the game. i belive b/c i left the wires soldered it did this. anyhow what is the lifespan of a mod chip as i had this one for only 1 year almost exactly and the place i got it from i to send me this one b/c the original which i was trying to get to work for like 2 weeks was defected. a year seems way to short for the lifespan of a mod chip??

welll yeah, its your chip... mine is 2 and a half years old, and it still works... it may be how well you treat your system. I dont move mine much, well ventilated, and i unplug everything during thunder storms (i hit the lil' switch on the power strips, its tedious unplugging 16 systems on a daily basis here in good ol' FL)

Remove the mod completely and see if the Saturn behaves normally without it. That way you'll know for sure if it's the mod or not.

One year does seem to be a short life span for a mod, but there's not much you can do really.

i will do that, in case it proves to just be the mod and i decide to get a new one how is this...

http://www.retrogaming-universe.com/store/...d8bfe127fd2ec01

is that a reliable mod if anyone happens to know if not which is other than jandaman. i think jandaman is good especially since he sent me a new one for free when the original was faulty but i a year is too short and i think i want to give someone else a chance

Back