Official bootdisk useful?

Actually, I thought of a theoretical (ahem) method for booting homemade games, but it would require modified Action Replay firmware, and I still don't even know if it would really work (need to read the manuals some more and experiment, and that's only after I get more familiar with Saturn). Basically, the idea goes like this:

Instead of burning the data track as Mode 1, burn it as audio, but with the Mode 1/2352 sector data. Have the Action Replay use the SCSP to pull the data from the audio track and decode it, then DMA it to main RAM and run it. Make the load part of the routine callable by the main CPU program so that more stuff can be loaded later.

This would only work for homebrew games, and probably only those not using standard SGL CD functions or SCSP software. But it's a fun idea :).

Quote: from TheNightRider on 6:45 am on Sep. 26, 2001

Where can I find the boot cd?

Does it realy work?

If anyone has the disk please contact me !

THX

Lamer, first read the thread before asking questions.

Well it looks like he did (Dogbert) have it and as I promised....

(DarkForce) pulls out a chair, sits down at a table with a nice big plate, knife and fork ready and starts to eat his words....

munch....."must be a lamer" munch...2001 -2010 Lamer Award....munch....burp!

Well there you go, even though it wasn't what we expected he DID come through, my apologies and thanks, shame it wasn't released properly by Dogbert himself.....you need somone to make you an REAL .nfo file for the BootCD? with all the original info and the REAL releaser...not some extremely lame ripp off....

Get back to me if you want and I'll post it around on a few busy ftp's, and it'll get distributed as it should be..Dogbert's Saturn Boot CD...

Would it be dodgy to post a URL for it? would stop requesting and help some peeps..but not without SkankinMonkey's and Dogbert's permission...let me know...

Oh, Akuma, that thing wasn´t useless at all, because it defeated the country protection on early modded PSOne units, which could not be done with the first modchips for those little buggers.

Quote: from gofamon on 4:27 pm on Sep. 28, 2001

Darn you Akuma! I wanted to have the 100th post ... :sad: :sad: :sad:
I had no idea it was the 100th post, sorry I made you sad ;)

Quote: from Kommunisator on 7:49 pm on Sep. 28, 2001

Oh, Akuma, that thing wasn´t useless at all, because it defeated the country protection on early modded PSOne units, which could not be done with the first modchips for those little buggers.
OK, let me state it another way, it's totally useless to me
lol.gif

well ####, at least its a step forward to getting a working bootdisk out there.Has anyone tryed cutting out the outer layer(where the Saturn checks) and 'pasting it' to the boot cd?#### I know it sounds funny but hey it just may work.

And I've seen a dude on ebay selling the official saturn disks...blank ones...If you burnt it to that do you people think it may work?Maybe worth a try....

---Ammut

Sorry; but I don't believe you. Or the guy in ebay is a lamer, starting with the fact that selling those kind of cdrs (if exist) is illegal in any part of the world (assuming the conditions that a developer have to accept to receive equipment like this)...

Give proof of what you are saying.

And I don't see this as a step forwad...for saturn "warez" maybe it is.

I know someone who knows someone who has a laser engraver that is very powerful and acurate. I can try to do the expirement when I get time, but it will more than likely cost me some money. If it works, I will make lots of them and I will sell them (the money will go towards buying a full sized lazer engraver to do this sort of thing more and more if it works. Eventually I would do it for cheap.)

a laser engraver won't do any good, you aren't supposed to ENGRAVE anything on the blank. plus, you could never create a 100% identical copy of the outter track by hand. also, it's not just the text that is the copy protection.. there's data in there too.

Arakon, I think opiumeater is refering to cutting the CDs to remove the security ring from Saturn originals with the laser engraver, rather than etching a security ring.

even then, it's unlikely you could attach it properly to a copy afterwards. you can't just stick it to the bottom, as that's be too close to the laser, it couldn't focus anymore.. and you risk damaging the lens. you can't really attach it around the disk either, I'm pretty sure cutting a ring out of a blank and applying the security ring around it will render the blank unusable.

Back