Official bootdisk useful?

I'm not trying to promote this theory, but :)

If you could make up some sort of jig to cut two discs identically, and then somehow affix a security ring to a pre-written CDR then it might work...

Ok, since you're talking about cutting the security ring off a disc, why not aproach it slightly differently.

If you cut the ring off one disc, then thats great - you can have a single security coded iso, but you've sacrificed another game to do so. If, however, you also cut off the exact same area from your CDR's, so that they are slightly smaller than normal CDR's, you could mount the security strip on some kind of dummy disc, and sit that on top of the smaller CDR.

It's just idle fantasy, true, and the technical challenges are probably too great, but it's food for thought ;)

Curtis; funny, I had exactly the same thought, so over the weekend I did some experimenting. I got one of my (many) coasters & cut away all of the disc, just leaving the centre ring (from the hole to the small ridge on the bottom). I used this as a spacer & mounted an original CD on top of it. Unfotunately though, the original is too far from the lens for it to focus so the CD could not be read :(

Just as well I have a modchip installed ;)

I don't think that's quite what I meant...

hang on, I'll try drawing some dodgy ASCII art ;)

|_____________________Dummy Disk________________|

|_| |_______________Smaller CDR_______________| |_|

| |

Security Ring Security Ring

This is supposed to be a side-on view, both disks can sit on the Saturn's spindle. Obviously the gap between the security ring and the CDR would need to be smaller.

Just a thought ;)

EDIT: Hmm that didn't work too well...

(Edited by Curtis at 7:59 pm on Oct. 1, 2001)

(Edited by Curtis at 8:41 pm on Oct. 1, 2001)

I see what you mean though, Curtis. I dont see why it wouldn't work...

The great thing is, the "dummy disc" could just be used as a caddy for all of your backups to fit/snap into. Too bad you'd have to cut all of your backups as well.

the real question is.. is this even worth the trouble? a modchip is 20-30 bucks, a model 2 saturn the same, and you can play all games right away.

I'm thinking it would be somewhat difficult to get it to spin without wobbling all over the place. Cutting it doesn't seem too hard, but getting it nice and even is another story.

With a lazer engraver, the cuts would be identical. My thought is to just add the ring to the boot disc. The charge for lazer engraver time should be $60 an hour. It should take about a minute to do each cut. Then use a label to attach the inner boot disc and the outer ring. *IF* the boot disc ISO can be worked on and gotten to boot everything, anyone who has access to a lazer engraver would be able to make the discs to sell for about $5-$6 each. How many people would be willing to pay $15 or $20 for a fully working boot disc? They wouldn't have to open their system, wouldn't have to mess with any solder whatsoever, and wouldn't need to worry about which model Saturn they have.

Hmmm... Something tells me I'm gonna have to go talk to my old boss about using the lazer for ten minutes. I can set up the file for the cut right here, then put it on a floppy, ready to run...

edit: typo.

(Edited by VertigoXX at 6:02 pm on Oct. 2, 2001)

Quote: from Supergrom on 1:03 pm on Sep. 29, 2001

i know those cdrs exist, but i dont see how anybody got enough of them to sell on ebay. I dont see any auctions like that at the moment either. and i dont think they have the country protection on the cdrs, do they? it would be interesting to find out IF you could get your hands on some.

I used worked at Sega, I started when Dreamcast was coming but I saw those CDR's (and the boot disks) . those saturn CDRs are nothing more than normal CDRs with a Sega Saturn Silk screen on them. They were using the remaining CDRs as archives for various data.

VertigoXX, if you idea is feasible (and the boot disk actually works), I would love to buy a pair for my model 1 saturns. It would be simply better than finding modchips for them.

The fact that the boot disc will tell you when to switch discs, rather than having to listen to the drive and get it at just the right moment. That ain't all that easy to do inside a small stereo cabinet.

I don't have the programming know-how to rewrite the boot disc program so that it'll work with all discs. I don't even have a clue where to begin trying something like that. But I might give one a try with the current image to see if it'll work with a game others have gotten it to work with.

/me assumes the innocent use of the word image.

He might be looking for a picture of the disc? clarification would be nice. I don't see a problem with seeing what the disc looks like if someone has a scanner or a digital camera and actually has one.

i'm not sure what meaning matters.....you guys kept the thread in the archives, so i assumed it was kosher discussion topic. It's a rare disc that i'd like to see (be it pic or image). Everyone before me asked for it in some way, and yet *I* get told not to ask for it again.

alright, is it okay to ask for someone to point me to an ftp with related files on there? i don't know of any, and it seems lately that i'm getting yelled at for things that AREN'T IN THE RULES STICKY and for discussing or continuing topics that OTHER PEOPLE DISCUSSED LONG BEFORE ME!!!

i'd like to see scans of the top and bottom of the disc as well as any other.....file??....connected with this project. they were talking about something similar on another board i've been watching....an attempt to make backups that selfboot so that any saturn can play it without risk to the laser and regardless of model. My own personal interest in all things saturn denotes that i want to see any program or game that can run in a saturn off a CD, regardless of what type of cd, or who made it.

With a lazer engraver, the cuts would be identical. My thought is to just add the ring to the boot disc. The charge for lazer engraver time should be $60 an hour. It should take about a minute to do each cut. Then use a label to attach the inner boot disc and the outer ring. *IF* the boot disc ISO can be worked on and gotten to boot everything, anyone who has access to a lazer engraver would be able to make the discs to sell for about $5-$6 each. How many people would be willing to pay $15 or $20 for a fully working boot disc? They wouldn't have to open their system, wouldn't have to mess with any solder whatsoever, and wouldn't need to worry about which model Saturn they have.

You mean you can use this disk for swapping? Without the need to open your Saturn a all? Sounds good...

Wow...the thread from the dead.

Um...yes the image will allow running of CERTAIN games on CDR's. Not all games are compatible however and even still, you would need to swap trick the Saturn to boot the boot disk.

Interesting from a developer and programmer point of view, but completely useless for us.

also interesting from a collector and hobbist standpoint...i want to see anything that the saturn can run that runs off a cd. someone want to point me to an FTP?

/<

Back