OGG Files????

some of the files are .ogg my computer refuses to play them and when the internet searches for what they are it doesnt know either can anyone help me? please.

Ogg vorbis is an open source lossy audio codec that competes with mp3, aac, wmp and the like. It's generally the best IMO but it takes a bit more to decode (processorwise) so it's not in as many players because it sucks up more batteries and it's not as popular.

It's worth noting that .ogg is a container format like .avi or .asx, it can contain audio and video streams in various formats. I think the list of supported codecs is (theoretically): Vorbis, Speex (low-bandwidth speech codec), and FLAC (lossless) for audio, and Tarkin (experimental wavelet-based) and Theora (open continuation of On2's VP3 codec) for video. Vorbis+Theora OGG files definitely exist, the rest I'm not sure about.

Thanks for the help with that ive downloaded Winamp 5 now s it should work, i will admit though some of the last three comments went straight over my head. :blink:

I've seen Theora files before, but people don't tend to name them .ogg in my experience. Whatever arguments you might make against file extensions, they are fairly intuitive.

well everything works fine now and i can play the ogg files, so paaarrrttty :banana

Thankyou all for your help and couldnt do it myself :bow

Err sorry to continue with this but can music CD's play ogg files or will Winamp converte them like Media Player does with MP3's?

You'll have to do the conversion yourself - simple enough in winamp by selecting the "diskwriter" output plugin and specifying a directory. You'll then need to burn resulting WAV files yourself in the Audio CD format.

Back