Ok, now everybody can stop asking me

I love xvid because it is open source and I have not noticed much difference between the 2 in quality.

I hate Xvid because it's open source. (Not the concept though). The problem is that there are a bajillion variations of the thing and they're all not entirely compatible with each other. Not to mention that different versions sometimes have compatability problems.

Well, what Gameboy pointed out is the primary reason why it is a bit of a mess. There are advantages and disadvantages to open source, but it'd be better if at the very least the developers released their OWN binaries, so we don't have to rely on others (like Nic, as MTX says) to do it for us.

Anyway, I use Divx Pro when I have to get the maximum out of something. With all of the settings jacked up, it is very very slow, but I get excellent quality. If I have a small target size, I'll use Divx and take the speed hit. I always use Divx if my source is interlaced, as with Divx you can just *leave* it interlaced and let the decoder handle that if necessary. If speed is a concern and/or if my target filesize is a bit larger, I'll go ahead and use Xvid. Also, Xvid is totally free, whereas with Divx only the standard version is totally free. Divx Pro costs money, unless you use the adware version, which most people are unwilling to do. I personally don't think $20 is bad if you use it all the time.

So they both have their ups and downs, it is best to have both if you can. I have no experience with single-pass encodes, either. I always just decide what bitrate/filesize I want and do 2 or 3 passes. Oh yes, I did forget to mention this before - Divx (Pro) really shines with live action, with anime Xvid is just as good unless you're a freak like me and tolerate ridiculously low fps.

XVID, cause it got the best video quality...

I recommend using...ffdshow....get it at sourceforge.net..

this because installing XVID can seriously fuck up you machine...Ive encountered this numerous times...

besides ffdshow you only need

AC3 filter and ogg vorbis support....get all this att www.divxsweden.net

:)

Hey, everybody! You're being really rude! Going off topic in muffinman's thread... I'm ashamed. He had something as equally important to him as it was stupid, and you disgrace him like that...

I don't think I've ever been prouder to be part of a community. :wub:

Originally posted by Caelestis@Mar 18, 2004 @ 09:11 PM

Hey, everybody! You're being really rude! Going off topic in muffinman's thread... I'm ashamed. He had something as equally important to him as it was stupid, and you disgrace him like that...

:lol:

So true ...

Originally posted by gameboy900@Mar 18, 2004 @ 02:15 PM

I hate Xvid because it's open source. (Not the concept though). The problem is that there are a bajillion variations of the thing and they're all not entirely compatible with each other. Not to mention that different versions sometimes have compatability problems.

Well, that's funny, because I installed a decoder build from Nic's page which is probably over a year old - and I can still play every new XviD I come across, without fail.

In regard to seeking efficiency, that's not directly related to which codec you use, but how often keyframes occur in the video stream... and I think it depends more on the file container, too. I've not noticed a difference in seeking between DivX and XviD .avi files.

Originally posted by Caelestis@Mar 18, 2004 @ 03:11 PM

thanks for this. I love you mal

And I love you too. Ahh, what a caring and sharing forum we have.

However, if you actually read the thread you'll find that it wasn't I that started this off topic frolic into the world of video encoding. I did coax it off onto a different direction, but that was later.

Sure I do... :sarcasm:

I'll admit that I removed your sig pic because I deemed it inappropriate, but I don't go around editing posts for no good reason.

Back