OK, so I didn't like Eternal Darkness...

Ok, I've bought Eternal Darkness two times, once when it first came out, and a second time a few weeks ago. I've turned both copies back in. Why would I get a game twice that I didn't like? I don't know. When I first got it, I was more of a n00b then I am now, so I thought I'd appreciate the game more now. I was wrong. In theory, I should like this game. It has atmosphere, it can be scary, it's well made, and the story isn't half bad. But it could never fully grab me. Perhaps it's because it never broke the fourth wall for me. And, combat became predictable, and perhaps out of place for a survival-horror game. The story is intriguing and Lovecraft-esque (tres kewl) but I'll never finish it now. Towards the end I felt like I was playing an action game more than a horror title. Argh, this is so frustrating. After reading a bit about Silicon Knights and their design philosophy, the aggravation grows. This is a great company, and ED should be a great game, but I find it boring!

Any of you ever feel this way??

I felt the same way after playing the game. It had so many elements that should have made it great, and I can't see any real flaws in it, yet I could never get into it.

WHOA! Fabrizo's back! Welcome back man! Good to see ya! I missed ya!

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jul 30, 2003 @ 06:54 AM

WHOA! Fabrizo's back! Welcome back man! Good to see ya! I missed ya!

Thanks :), its good to be back. Unfortunatly though I am just using a very temporary internet account (im visiting some friends in florida atm, an the onse house im staying at is letting me use their comp). So ill be arround for a little bit, but in about a week ill be leaving again.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jul 30, 2003 @ 09:22 AM

Bah... how long you gonna be gone then?

I don't realy know.

I have alot going on irl atm. Im living in a half-constructed house (its being built while im living in it, and we only recently got phones and running water), I am trying to get into and prepair for college. I need to buy a new computer (Ill need my own for college, and for things like grafics design I will need it to be decently powerful) which is going to end up costing at least $1000. Im forgoing getting my own car for a while (Ive been offered one for free by one of my uncles, but he said that I could also have the value of it in $ instead if I wanted to, but im in very short supply of cash atm, and if I need to I can always use *ugh* public transportation).

you really dont need to spend $1000 on a computer for design unless of course your buying a mac. if its a pc thats waaaaaaay too much.

Originally posted by Dyne@Jul 31, 2003 @ 06:11 AM

you really dont need to spend $1000 on a computer for design unless of course your buying a mac. if its a pc thats waaaaaaay too much.

LOL. You do realise that graphic design = lots of RAM and powerful, esoteric, and expensive video card? And if he does anything with video or 3D, he's going to need dual processors, and possibly also a (massively expensive) video capture card.

That's the first time I've heard the word 'esoteric' used to decribe a video card.. Though I suppose ATI and Nvidia nuts can be a bit cultish.

As far as Eternal Darkness goes, I really enjoyed it for a while.. But it became a bit of a chore towards the end. Couldn't really put my finger on why either.

Yeah I dont think esoteric would really be the right word since the act of buying a video card is in iteself kind of an esoteric act it's really not for the mainstream computer user.

Sorry just rambling a bit

Back to ED.....I think this is one of the few decent games released in the last few yrs. For one it actually has story and purpose, 2 it is scary as fuk (headphones on w/ noone else in the room, all lights turned out=freaky as hell). It's also not a survival horror game, and I think those who buy thinking it's gunna be like RE are disappointed. This game however, isn't just for your average everyday gamer. I think it's more geared towards people like me who feel there are only about 3, maybe 4 videogames every year that are worth the 50 dollar price tag. Let's face it, over %90 of games are just plain dumb, yet most of em end up selling more than the good games (ED). like for example I know TONZ of ppl who have tokyo extreme racing or sumshit like that. the street racing game. They LOVE this game all to hell....they think it's god. But for sumone like me who has been in he game for 15yrs it's just the same ol' bullshit. That's why I think I like games like ED, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Shenmue, Zelda, etc. so much. They aren't the same games I have been playing for 15yrs. They are new wholesum pieces of software that actually warrant a buy. Alright, I am gunna quit now, if I dont ill go on for days..later

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Aug 1, 2003 @ 02:51 AM

Uhm. I meant esoteric as in something by Matrox or 3DLabs, or even SGI. :p

And I had visions of Detonators being released with in-built astrology programs.. Nevermind :)

Back