Options for region and ram and cheats

How many different options are there for playing mutliple regions on your saturn, and for adding ram carts, and for enabling cheat codes?

It it best to get a AR 4-in-1 to get a region switch and 4mb ram? Or better to get region some other way and get a dedicated 4m ram? I've heard that the 4-in-1s tend to fail after a while.

Does the 4-in-1 enable cheats? Are the cheat codes the same regardless of which type of cheat enabler you use? Do they require a boot CD, or just a ram cart?

Are any pre-loaded with enough codes you rarely have to manually add them?

Do any carts or disks damage your system over time?

Thanks,

JMT.

It's very rare but some games do not play nicely with the 4-1. However, the memory on the saturn fills up so quickly that the 4-1 convenience can't be beat. There are hacks for the AR4-1 to get the games to work properly (I think it's only Vampire Savior, honestly, but I'm not certain).

My Saturn is modded, and for J or E region games I rip and convert the ISO to U, and play accordingly. I put all ram cart saves on the saturn, and all other games on my 8MB backup cart.

Personally, I like keeping the J/E games in mint condition. CDRs are less than 10c these days, so it's not a huge loss if the backup gets scratched.

As for carts causing damage, it's kind of like the genesis and the nintendo - over time it becomes a wrestling match for the saturn to recognize the cart. For me, this is especially true with the aforementioned 8mb.

What about METAL SLUG and Final Fight Revenge?

Do they play ok on the 4-in-1 thing?

I recently ordered one so I can play imports mostly and use the action replay (and to backup my Syphony Of The Night save)

downloader said:
What about METAL SLUG and Final Fight Revenge? Do they play ok on the 4-in-1 thing?

They play just fine, no problems. So does the Vampire Saviour by the way. The only titles I've found that didn't work with AR 4in1 are Ultraman [which requires a specially designed RAM cart] and Panzer Dragoon Saga [which performs a check and doesn't boot if the cart is in].

Morden said:
They play just fine, no problems. So does the Vampire Saviour by the way. The only titles I've found that didn't work with AR 4in1 are Ultraman [which requires a specially designed RAM cart] and Panzer Dragoon Saga [which performs a check and doesn't boot if the cart is in].

That's not entirely correct. The newer model of the AR 4in1 doesn't have problems with Vampire Saviour. The older model did indeed have issues. As a matter of fact, and quite funny how this worked out, a quick Google search on the issue sent me -- back here!

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/showthread.php?t=5676

Hah!

:w00t:

Well, I thought it was funny. Made me feel like an idiot, hah!

Oh that's right. It was a quick fix though. A wire to connect two pins. And yes, I have the new one [AR4in1]. The connection is printed on the PCB.

Back