outrun 2... xbox only... WOOOOOO

Why does it matter if its just for Xbox? Would it really make a difference to you if it was multi format. I actually think some of Sega's recent games have suffered because of being only on Xbox. Panzer Dragoon Orta for example didnt sell well at all.

Originally posted by axelblazeadam@Jul 22, 2003 @ 10:46 PM

Why does it matter if its just for Xbox? Would it really make a difference to you if it was multi format. I actually think some of Sega's recent games have suffered because of being only on Xbox. Panzer Dragoon Orta for example didnt sell well at all.

I assume you mean suffer in just sales as opposed to quality?

I agree that XBox only wouldn't be the greatest, but a port would have to be waterdown -- esp for PS2. Remember though that the arcade version is already on XBox hardware.

A good GC port might be ok.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jul 22, 2003 @ 10:52 PM

Thats what I meant.

Sega should try to get their games out on as many platforms as is technologically possible.

Also would a watered down version be so bad. As long as it meets (or betters) the standards set by other PS2 games what would the problem be.

Originally posted by axelblazeadam+Jul 22, 2003 @ 11:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(axelblazeadam @ Jul 22, 2003 @ 11:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Jul 22, 2003 @ 10:52 PM

Thats what I meant.

Sega should try to get their games out on as many platforms as is technologically possible.

Also would a watered down version be so bad. As long as it meets (or betters) the standards set by other PS2 games what would the problem be. [/b][/quote]

yeah -- having a good PS2 port might give them good sales to recoup some of the extra time needed.

however some of Sega's offerings (including Outrun) might not meet the mainstream gaming audience that is PS2s with great anticipation.

definatly...well with games like Sonic Adventure and Super Monkey Ball how can you not have good sales? Also, I just noticed this fast reply thing.....when did we get it?

The GC is the target market that these games such as PDO appeal to. The 'casual gamer' may look at the graphics but not think much of the pedigree or rail shooters in general (although the terminology of casual is fairly nebulous).

I mean, all things considered, the best system to put sequels on is ANY nintendo system. Look at mario - this is a ridiculously popular franchise whose formula hasn't ostensibly changed in the last two decades.

In general it seems more GC owners are clued up about what are good games then with other machines. Also Sega usually makes the type of games GC owners would like.

Outrun should do alright on the Xbox though as there are a lot of racing game fans with Xbox's, at least from my experience. In fact Outrun could appeal to groups from all three consoles. Something I dont think could be said for PDO which may have done better on the cube.

Sega needs to go completely multiformat or think more about which format a certain game will sell the best on.

Originally posted by BJammzz@Jul 23, 2003 @ 11:11 PM

Also, I just noticed this fast reply thing.....when did we get it?

It was part of the last forum upgrade.

whats the fast reply thing and realy how much faster is it from just add reply?

i agree segas games suffered on the xbox -- i think if the games sega released before would have been released now ( with the attention and popularity it has gained over the year ) would have sold much better -- the new games get more attention by all the new xbox owners now than the older ones

i think that all games did was promote the xbox rather that promote them selves

when PDO and some of the others came out - the xbox still had a bad rep (the way i saw the market ) and realy only more recently has it won over converts and newbie gamers

when i got the box retail and video rental place employees were bad mouthing it and now i see the emploies praising it -- for example -- the rental places here rent out the systems - so i over heared conversations of the employees to parents about how they eveluated the systems through the stores own rental and found the xbox to be better -- or like a conversation overheard at a local gamestop of an employee explaining to a parent how he came to like the xbox previously being ps2 fanboy -- besides all that observation i used to be one of the few people browsing in the xbox sections now theres many people there

so realy i feel that all the sega games did was advertize the box more than entice the current owners to buy thier games

personaly id rather see outrun start off as an xbox only title and eventualy coast over to the other systems (like wreckless did - was and xbox only title and eventualy a watered down version was made to run on the ps2 ) - i realy dislike seeing games watered down because they were trying to make a game that would work and be comprable on all systems (especialy ps2) -- regardless it should still be a great game but if it did come out simultaneously on all systems i could see my self getting the ps2 version because i would feel jiped with the xbox version ( if all versions were the same) -- but if it ends up being like castle wolfenstein where there is a huge noticeable diference between the versions then id probbaly get the xbox one (still feling a little jiped though)

i think sega games can still have good sales if the arcade versions are released early and long enough to grab attention -- mabey even rehashing the killer instinct stratgy of advetizing comming soon on the ULTRA 64 ......ahem XBOX :damn:

IMHO I think Sega should release games for as many systems as possible, so more people would know them, and maybe in the future if Sega decides to release a new system, more "casual" gamers would know Sega and buy its system

Not that I care about people that buy something just because of the marketing strategy, but all the games companies need them

Originally posted by Yceman@Jul 23, 2003 @ 06:37 PM

Not that I care about people that buy something just because of the marketing strategy, but all the games companies need them

Where would Sony be without them :p

Outrun2 won't sell much. It's a racing game, yes, but it's an ARCADE racing game. The days where such genre was among the best sellers is loooong gone. All "gamers" want is billions of different car models they can buy, zillions of unlockable courses and an simulation-ish feeling.

Not a game with few levels that they can "beat" in one hour or so, and relies on the player mastering the game as replay value.

Casual gamers are far too stupid to play through the same game again, unless there is an obvious obscene amount of unlockables.

would prob. make a good rental

as far as marketing strategy goes...if SEGA or Nintendo knew how to do it even half-assly then they would actually be up there in the "race". That's the biggest reason why SEGA went to software only, the marketing they had sucked the biggest fattest piece of stinky ass that was ever shit out of a cow. Nintendo isn't much better either. M$ is pretty good but Sony has the best....not as good as I think it was a few yrs ago but still great. M$ is slowly catching up. I am starting to notice TONZ of ppl getting XBox's and XBox games instead of PS2 versions even though they have the system. Sont best hurry up and put out a new console cuz mark my words.....from here M$ is only gunna rise unless there is sumthin to stop/hinder it.

And of course SEGA would do best to release games on all 3 consoles.....makes since right?

Dlden Days:

Sega Vs Nintendo

Nowa Days:

Microsoft Vs Sony

Wit Nintendo as the lil b*tch kiddie system wit a queer anime'ized Link. i am sorry but i will never own anything nintendo past a n64 because of what they did to Link. Anyways thats a rant for whoever wants to start the flame about "your dumb cuz you don't like the way they drew the main character in a game so your not going to like the game" :flamethrower: :smash which is udder rubbish :hehehe:

Originally posted by gamefoo21@Jul 25, 2003 @ 03:04 AM

i am sorry but i will never own anything nintendo past a n64 because of what they did to Link.

Well I actually prefer the new cel shaded link over the old one, but I never liked him that much anyway.

I've completed the Wind Waker and found it to be overrated, the thing I liked best about it was the graphical style which was amazing.

I think it would sell ok, hell they put out sega gt 2002, that didn't fly off the shelves either, but it did ok. It would be nice to see outrun exclusive at first so that (like it was mentioned here earlier) its not watered down, then I would like to see it trickle to the other systems, so that sega can increase their chances of making more cash. I think this game would be a hit to retro gamers, and therfore could possibly sell very well. but we'll have to wait and see.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jul 25, 2003 @ 03:01 PM

sad to say, but most gamers nowadays aren't retro gamers

that is so true unfortunatly

kind of erks me when i hear a newer gamer saying -- oh how can you play that it looks so horrible - how was that ever any fun -- or i cant stand anything with out polygons

i always recomend trying out games on the various emulators to see how great and IMO sometimes greater the older games were -- but many times ill hear a response like - oh i cant stand playing games with a keyboard - or ill only use a computer for the internet

but retro gaming is unfortunalty growing as well ---rememebring the good old not so long ago days of dirt cheap prices on ebay :(

Back